Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 PM

87 posts, read 259,839 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if any one could tell me about life in this area. I have a friend who is going there to build a home and live there after living his life on busy Long Island with all you need within a few miles and wonder about how isolated it is. He is a sailor also but dreams of having fellow sailors to race with and socialize with and I have my doubts, and think he is dreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,978 times
Jonesport is isolated 10 miles off rte 1 Machias or Columbia would be the closest towns that would resemble civilization.The people ther are quite friendly after you get to know them. As far as sailing goes Most of the people who live there are lobsterman or something of the like. I dont know what your friend is calling a sailor. Someone on a sailboat for fun or a hardworking lobsterman. If your friend is ever in the area have him check out Tall Barneys restaurant. that should give him an idea of the people in the area

Old 09-22-2006, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your reply. He has bought land there to build on so he knows the area. He is a recreational sailor with a 37' sail boat which draws 7' and says he was told there is a yacht club in the area. Is that so? It looks like a hard working lobstering town to me.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,908 times
No yacht clubs as in the Long Island variety. But sailors tend to find one another from time to time. This is great cruising country with lots of opportunity to find seclusion even in the height of the summer. But if your friend is interested in the typical Connecticut shore, Long Island yacht club social scene, he will have to go down the coast to Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor, Bar Harbor, Blue Hill and further. Jonesport is way downeast and rural.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:19 PM

Thanks that was what I thought. But the thought of secluded spots for anchoring sounds wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine