Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:05 PM

40 posts, read 92,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The 14 year old is getting cross country skis. I'm not sure about the 23 year old. We usually do outdoorsy gifts.

How about a snow block maker for the 6 year old? They're great for forts!
I had one when I was a kid! Loved it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 PM

145 posts, read 338,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i wish my son was 6 again,,,i have pictures of him opening xmas gifts..,,but the gift he enjoyed most could not be wrapped or placed under a tree,,it was TIME...whether going sliding, snowmobiling,,or to the park,,,
i use to have a list,,,of what i thought he wanted,,and wanted him to have many gifts...
if i had to do it over again,,id concentrate on gifts,,not to keep himself "busy" but gifts i could play with him
most kids dont remember what they got for xmas last year,,but they will remember the time you spent with them,, i think at 6 or so i got him,,one of those blast off rockets,,,he loved it!!!
Nicely put..our time costs nothing..why does it seem like sometimes it's the hardest thing to give?

Old 09-22-2007, 08:57 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i wish my son was 6 again,,,i have pictures of him opening xmas gifts..,,but the gift he enjoyed most could not be wrapped or placed under a tree,,it was TIME...whether going sliding, snowmobiling,,or to the park,,,
i use to have a list,,,of what i thought he wanted,,and wanted him to have many gifts...
if i had to do it over again,,id concentrate on gifts,,not to keep himself "busy" but gifts i could play with him
most kids dont remember what they got for xmas last year,,but they will remember the time you spent with them,, i think at 6 or so i got him,,one of those blast off rockets,,,he loved it!!!
Sweet! Just shows what a great Dad you are. Lucky kid!!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,526,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The 14 year old is getting cross country skis. I'm not sure about the 23 year old. We usually do outdoorsy gifts.

How about a snow block maker for the 6 year old? They're great for forts!
Wow, that would be a cool gift had no idea there were snow block makers. Where was mine during the blizzard in '78 (I think). 28" inches in 24 hours. Folks thats a whole lot of snow for Ohio.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,471,845 times
Default snow block makers

Way fun if you have the right kind of snow. It's got a be wet and heavy snow, doesn't do well in light and fluffy.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Way fun if you have the right kind of snow. It's got a be wet and heavy snow, doesn't do well in light and fluffy.
Duly noted. I'll make the hubby shovel and I'll get a jump on my fort all the while stashing some good snowballs....he he

Old 09-28-2007, 07:18 PM

40 posts, read 92,991 times
hook rugs I was shopping for yarn to make a blanket for my neice and found simple hook rug kits. Fun for too cold to go out days.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,857,645 times
With 6 kids I am so sick of all the stuff... toys video games... clothes even (my 4yo daughter thinks dressing is an olympic sport that requires multiple changes and throwing all her clothes around every day, prayers that she gets it tomorrow when all her clothes from the floor are gone and she can't go to the children's museum with her siblings because she has nothing left to wear except a sock and a tee-shirt.)

Anyway sorry for the long aside. So, I am doing gift certificates for activities we can do together or for classes or things that interest them that are out of the house. Like unicycle lessons for my daring 11yo, hopefully before she breaks something careening around our yard. Or a pottery class for the two kids who are certain they will be artists when they grow up (they are there now as far as I'm concerned but I am biased). Oh and each kid will get a special date with one of the parent types around here; my brother lives with us and his son plus my 5 is where the 6 count comes from.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
Gen, they're lucky to have you! The gift certificates are a wonderful idea!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:02 AM

Christmas and b-days are very close in our house. Probably going to buy her multiple gift certificates for gas and food for the long commute to college. Maybe an i-tunes gift card and the car lighter plug in so she has something to entertain her on the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine