Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Whats it like living on a Maine island? I mean, are there communities on some of the bigger islands? How is it deferent than say, living on the coast inland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
You could take a look at the winter ferry schedules and see how often they run which will no doubt will be less than in the summer. Winter weather will effect how often you can leave the island. Obviously, you can't just get up and drive to the mall any time you feel like it. Will you keep a car on the mainland as well as on the island? Will you have your own boat? Some of the islands have people who live there year round otherwise, they wouldn't need a school. I have relatives who lived on Little Cranberry for many years. There's a school there through 8th grade. If you have children, they will need to attend high school on the mainland. Swan's Island and Matinicus Island also have schools through 8th grade just to name a couple.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
You need to be healthy. You can't just call the ambulance to take you to the hospital. All year round islands have somebody trained to deal with emergencies and they have communications with the mainland. Some islands have air strips where you can have a pilot land to get you off the island. It isn't cheap.

People live out there because they value their privacy. You need to respect that. Each island is different with its own social system and philosophy. You don't understand it eight away. If you were not born there and gone through the island school you will never understand it all, but you will likely be welcomed. Maine needs people. Our young people tend to leave at the age of 25 and come home when they are 55. They bring the skills and experience they have learned when they come home. We're glad to see them come home.

People "from away" are also welcomed. You bring your own set of skills and experience. People on the island or small mainland town know what works and how to get things done. It's best to observe before telling them how it ought to be done.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,627 times
There are several islands that have a good feel for island life but which have road to the mainland. MDI and Deer Isle are two. But living on an island also requires you to be very very people oriented, because the number of people are small. You need to get along because if the group doesn't like you they won't support you when you need it.

also there are generally NO COPS on these small islands. People have to get along because if you get into a battle with a neighbor, there will be no cops to protect you.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,869 times
Regarding the no-police thing, many islands have a "constable," a local guy who tries to keep the drunks and the road-roaring kids under control. For major crime, the county sheriff or the State Police send officers. When there was a lobster war and a shooting on Matinicus (I think) a few years ago, they sent sheriff's deputies, State Police, and Coast Guard armsmen to patrol the island and keep the lid on for a few days.

It's not so common now, but islanders also dealt out a lot of rough justice on their own. There was -- and is, to some extent -- a sort of Wild West flavor to the island communities, very self reliant and self sufficient and wary of outside authority.

So far as I know, the only island with fulltime law enforcement is Peaks Island in Casco Bay, and that's part of Portland.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,202 times
Eastport on Moose Island has a police dept.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Eastport on Moose Island has a police dept.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The only island that is actually an island unconnected to the mainland. Otherwise we would have to count MDI, Deer Isle, most of Harpswell ... But then you knew that, didn't you.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,568 times
Yeah, we're pretty much self-policing at times. A lot of crimes (petty and otherwise) that other people would call the cops for just get written down in the Grudge File. (But I will say that I think both Vinalhaven and Swan's have a police officer, and Islesboro employs one as well, though I think his title is Constable..).

Anyone who is thinking of moving to an island really needs to embrace that old theory of "When in Rome...". Nothing goes over worse than newcomers starting in with "Well, why don't you folks do [insert any traditional thing here] like the people do where I just came from?". You'll need to be prepared to answer lots of questions about who you are, what you do, what brought you to the island, how long you plan to stay, etc, etc, etc.. and then also be prepared for everyone to discuss those answers among themselves until they decide what kind of people you really are. Most islanders don't really welcome newcomers until after they have lived on-island for at least an entire year, as there are plenty who leave after a few months, and we want to make sure you're sticking around before we bother with liking you.
The smaller the island, the more collective the property. People who buy lots/houses and proceed to stick up No Trespassing signs are generally not thought too highly of. Yes, it IS their land, but the whole island "belongs" to the islanders. Tools and vehicles also fall into the collective property category- get used to people asking to borrow yours, and likewise, get used to asking to borrow others.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
and some islands are "dry" meaning you cant buy alcohol on them- I think swan island is that way (not far from bar-harbor)
To me its an old outdated foolish law, I know the owners of the store on the island, and it just aint right they cant sell it- I suggested they set up some sort of speak-easy.....amongst friends

I visited long island off portland last summer, know the owner of that store- what a beautiful place-he sells a ton on wine and beer

If you like isolation, or are a hermit, island living can be awesome, if you like to be involved, be around people, and need constant activities so you dont go stir-crazy-stay off the islands

If i won powerball, Id be livin on an island, and would buy my entertainment

Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Yeah, we're pretty much self-policing at times. A lot of crimes (petty and otherwise) that other people would call the cops for just get written down in the Grudge File. (But I will say that I think both Vinalhaven and Swan's have a police officer, and Islesboro employs one as well, though I think his title is Constable..).

Anyone who is thinking of moving to an island really needs to embrace that old theory of "When in Rome...". Nothing goes over worse than newcomers starting in with "Well, why don't you folks do [insert any traditional thing here] like the people do where I just came from?". You'll need to be prepared to answer lots of questions about who you are, what you do, what brought you to the island, how long you plan to stay, etc, etc, etc.. and then also be prepared for everyone to discuss those answers among themselves until they decide what kind of people you really are. Most islanders don't really welcome newcomers until after they have lived on-island for at least an entire year, as there are plenty who leave after a few months, and we want to make sure you're sticking around before we bother with liking you.
The smaller the island, the more collective the property. People who buy lots/houses and proceed to stick up No Trespassing signs are generally not thought too highly of. Yes, it IS their land, but the whole island "belongs" to the islanders. Tools and vehicles also fall into the collective property category- get used to people asking to borrow yours, and likewise, get used to asking to borrow others.
and never ever ever tell a fisherman "he stinks" or ewwwwwwww!

a store owner did this in friendship about ten yrs ago (new owners were from away) the owners had quite the condescending attitude towards the locals-the whole town boycotted the store, they shut down within months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine