Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times

Advertisements

I read the book half a century ago. The biggest effect was a huge increase in death rates from Malaria all across the tropics. You need to listen to these people to understand what their real goals are.

Global Sustainability requires: "the deliberate quest of poverty . . . reduced resource consumption . . . and set levels of mortality control."
Professor Maurice King

"Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsibility to bring that about?"
Maurice Strong, Head of the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro

“Economic growth is not the cure, it is the disease.”
Maurice Strong

"'Protecting the Environment' is a ruse. The goal is the political and economic subjugation of most men by the few, under the guise of preserving nature."
J. H. Robbins

"Christianity is our foe. If animal rights is to succeed, we must destroy the Judeo-Christian Religious tradition."
Peter Singer, the "Father of Animal Rights"

“Cannibalism is a radical but realistic solution to the problem of overpopulation."
Lyall Watson, The Financial Times, 15 July 1995

"Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs."
John Davis, editor of Earth First! Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM

47 posts, read 82,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I read the book half a century ago. The biggest effect was a huge increase in death rates from Malaria all across the tropics. You need to listen to these people to understand what their real goals are.

Global Sustainability requires: "the deliberate quest of poverty . . . reduced resource consumption . . . and set levels of mortality control."
Professor Maurice King

"Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsibility to bring that about?"
Maurice Strong, Head of the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro

“Economic growth is not the cure, it is the disease.”
Maurice Strong

"'Protecting the Environment' is a ruse. The goal is the political and economic subjugation of most men by the few, under the guise of preserving nature."
J. H. Robbins

"Christianity is our foe. If animal rights is to succeed, we must destroy the Judeo-Christian Religious tradition."
Peter Singer, the "Father of Animal Rights"

“Cannibalism is a radical but realistic solution to the problem of overpopulation."
Lyall Watson, The Financial Times, 15 July 1995

"Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs."
John Davis, editor of Earth First! Journal
Since this is getting way off topic, hopefully this will be my last post on this subject. Please read Wikipedia on 'Silent Spring', all the way through to the end. There has been much research done since the writing of her book when you apparently read it, proving her mostly right. She presented a balanced viewpoint, backed up by much research. She was attacked by Agribusiness because this was hurting their business, not because she was wrong. And she was vindicated by the president of the United States.
I can go on and on, but no matter what you say, it is my opinion that she is quite right in much of her observations. And BTW, DDT was discontinued because mosquitoes became resistant to it, which they do to all pesticides every 7 years to 10 years.
I haven't heard of the people you quoted above and am not sure why you presented them. This book is about chemicals and their impact on the earth, and it's inhabitants. Global warming - that's a whole other ball of wax, which I do not want to get into in this thread.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,385 times
I could not decide which one was better either, and after having two wives from Maine who did not work out, I decided to compromise...I imported my current wife who was from NH. :-)

I spend a lot of time in both states and really could not tell you which one was better. I just compromise there too and call NH, West Maine. If I want to crank up the wife and get a rise out of her, I call it East Mass. :-)

Old 01-28-2012, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 16,718 times
I recently moved to Maine, chose a small town near Bangor. We researched the state pretty much on-line. Bangor seems to offer just about everything one needs. I lived in NH for 40 years. It is not senior friendly as they derive their funds primarily through property taxes. our property taxes on a 2700 sq. ft. home near Concord were $8,000. We down-sized to a 1250 sq. ft. house and taxes are 1/4 that amount. there are areas around the Lakes Region where property taxes are lower like Hebron and Bridgewater. NH is a great place to live if one has a healthy income. For me, property taxes are the only negative. Gas in Maine is higher, as well as food. Many of the other factors you name also have to do with your lifestyle and diet. Arsenic seems high. We had a filtering system put in place. Also granite is in both states.

I like the open fields in Maine. I've lived on the coast and am concerned about shore erosion and the storms can be brutal on homes. Would not do that again. I think in many areas of both states you can leave your door unlocked at night. I like the people. I would suggest where ever you land, get involved in something you like or join a group. Great way to meet friends.

If you are not familiar with New England, it's important to know that we, older yankees, like our privacy and don't look kindly on people just popping by, but if you need help, your neighbor will be right there for you. In addition, when people coming in from other states tell me New Englanders are unfriendly, I inquire as to any advise they've offered about how things where they came from are done "THIS WAY"
Won't win you any points. There is always something to learn from the new area and its people.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Granted, but that same house that goes for $170M in Portland will go for $340M in Concord, NH. Apples to apples.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Food prices are not higher- that is ones personal opinion, and also how and where you shop

yes, demoulas market basket may be cheaper than shaws, but so are 80 other stores in maine-hannaford prices are about the same
walmart prices are about the same

depends where and how you shop-also keep in mind, many many folks grow their own veggies, and hunting and roadkill can certainly save on your grocery bill-in maine

Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Road kill? What about going fishing? I would love to go ice fishing as well and I grow my own veggies here. I guess we could eat Howie if times get really rough. MMMMMM bbq puppy chulo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine