Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM

12 posts, read 14,730 times

Advertisements

Any Grand Islander care to brag on the town/area?
Would a broken down retired Coastie be welcome to seek refuge there? With a lifestyle of older, boring, and single, would the area support my quiet ways?

I do admit to a fondness of RC airplanes and can be found flying mostly. Other than that it's coffee till noonish, gardens, back deck BBQ, and stargazing/pondering the evening away.

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,907,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydthBarber View Post
Any Grand Islander care to brag on the town/area?
Would a broken down retired Coastie be welcome to seek refuge there? With a lifestyle of older, boring, and single, would the area support my quiet ways?

I do admit to a fondness of RC airplanes and can be found flying mostly. Other than that it's coffee till noonish, gardens, back deck BBQ, and stargazing/pondering the evening away.

Thanks in advance....

Don't know a thing about Grand Isle but I'm willing to help wiht your "chores" if you need it. Does it pay well? Sounds like fun.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM

The curse of the retired...each day is Saturday and fridaynight combined.

When I arrive back north, allow an ex Coastie Airedale to purchase a coffee for you..

Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,907,221 times
SAR? Good on ya. I worked (A/C maint) for the 67 ARRS, USAF, once. Thanks for the invite. I appreciate the sentiment but I don't see me driving to the "rooftop" for coffee.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,932,613 times
It's a beautiful little town right on the mighty St. John River..........surrounded by hills, fields, woods and wildlife. Winters are cold, but summers are magnificent.
Only ten minutes or so into Madawaska, with all of the "stuff" one might need/want.
Feel free to ask anything else. I live fairly close.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Thanks

Maine guy...
Thanks so much for your post!
From your description, it looks like what I might be seeking. Couple questions:

Internet access, is it dial up in that area?
Utility rates...any idea on costs (ballpark)?
Would a casual bicycle rider have any good routes to go on?
Is public radio (NPR, parrie home companion) able to be received on a fm radio or is it too weak?
Is HDTV available via an antenna in the area?
Is there a humble bakery, pizza place or other food place within the town itself?
Public library?

There seems to be a nice little house for 37k that would meet my needs perfectly. It's on notre dame road...any thoughts on that neighborhood?
Residential

Thanks so much for any information. I really am seeking a quiet life of casual conversations, cuppa coffee with neighbors from time to time and a respectful distance from the craziness of hurried life. I'd love to find an animal shelter that could use a volunteer, a church that might need a hand with a hammer, or an elderly person that needs a quick errand run, stuff like that.

Last edited by FloydthBarber; 01-18-2012 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Chng

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
SAR? Good on ya. I worked (A/C maint) for the 67 ARRS, USAF, once. Thanks for the invite. I appreciate the sentiment but I don't see me driving to the "rooftop" for coffee.
lol...wouldn't blame ya, but maybe on my way up, I'll happen upon your way.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,752,580 times
Maine has the highest population per capita of veterans in the nation. Grand Isle is a pretty area, but it is a very low income area. Good folks though. As to stargazing, our skies are incredibly black and you can watch the stars wink on and off as they rise behind branches. I went on a Deepfreeze cruise on the Eastwind half a century ago.

It will often be too breezy for RC aircraft, but you can have a ball with stunt kites. Many stunt kite people use short lines. Try using very long lines and you can have a ball.

For a bicycle you will want a mountain bike with knobby tires because US Route 1 is dangerous for road bikes due to heavy truck traffic and narrow shoulders. You can ride the gravel shoulders with a mountain bike and maintain better control when you leave the pavement as you yield for a logging truck.

You'll have DSL at least for internet, but the real locals can fill you in on pizza and bakeries etc. You can definitely get fresh baguettes though. The area is quite French.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,932,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydthBarber View Post
Maine guy...
Thanks so much for your post!
From your description, it looks like what I might be seeking. Couple questions:

Internet access, is it dial up in that area?
Utility rates...any idea on costs (ballpark)?
Would a casual bicycle rider have any good routes to go on?
Is public radio (NPR, parrie home companion) able to be received on a fm radio or is it too weak?
Is HDTV available via an antenna in the area?
Is there a humble bakery, pizza place or other food place within the town itself?
Public library?

There seems to be a nice little house for 37k that would meet my needs perfectly. It's on notre dame road...any thoughts on that neighborhood?
Residential

Thanks so much for any information. I really am seeking a quiet life of casual conversations, cuppa coffee with neighbors from time to time and a respectful distance from the craziness of hurried life. I'd love to find an animal shelter that could use a volunteer, a church that might need a hand with a hammer, or an elderly person that needs a quick errand run, stuff like that.

Glad to help. That house looks like a real deal, depending on the lot. Housing is generally cheap in the County.
I think you can get DSL in Grand Isle, the town office could tell you. Utility rates are high in Maine in general, but at least the local utility is dropping rates by 10% this month. I think the average electric bill in this area is $75-100 a month. Grand Isle does have its own water district which I think is pretty modern. There is a Maine public radio station in the Grand Isle area which comes in great. Plus you get Canadian public radio which is even better. There's a restaurant; I haven't been but I hear it's pretty good. I have been to the old general store in Grand Isle and it has an eat-in diner. I believe there is a library in the community center, but I'm not 100% sure.
The main road (Route 1) is really flat, good for bike riding, and the shoulders aren't bad. There are a lot of good dirt roads too (field roads).
There is an amazing nature park called Mizpah in Grand Isle, which is many acres and different trails, etc. It was created as a "healing place" for those with cancer but it has grown much larger since then.
There is definitely a need for volunteers. The Mt. Carmel Church/Museum is undergoing a major restoration (it is an incredible church) and can use carpenters, I'm sure. As well as the Acadian Village which is 10-15 miles south.
The people are very nice and laid back. I'm sure they would appreciate having a neighbor such as yourself.

LizMorneault Here are some great pics, will give you an idea of the town.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,935,424 times
Second helping out at the Mt Carmel Church/Museum as well. It is a very cool place that years back when they first started the renovations I put the new Electrical service in for them and did a bunch of work in the interior. Very nice place that I hope to see back to its former glory one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine