Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,293 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to North Berwick within a year or so. I'm retired and currently live in Vermont. I would like to be closer to the coast and also to Boston, where my son lives.

My last visit to North Berwick revealed quite a bit of summer traffic as you get close to the ocean and to Ongunquit and Wells. But other than that, I thought it looked like a really nice, peaceful area. I guess I don't have many questions other than I would welcome any feedback from other folks over that way. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
North Berwick is a quiet little town nestled between the more urban Sanford, beach town Wells, and more rural town of Berwick. There are two main large employers, Hussey Seating, and Pratt Whitney Aircraft, but many residents commute to NH or north towards Portland for work.
Amtrak has a commuter rail to Boston in Wells and the rt. 95 exit. There are retail shopping venues in Sanford and Wells, mostly Walmart and the usual suburban ilk.
North Berwick sports a teeny village downtown with a several family run restaurants that are well patronized. There are satellite medical offices from Goodall and York hospitals and a well respected public school system.
There are still a couple family farms as well as several gentlemen farmers who would gladly provide you with eggs, beef, cheese and other farmer's market fare. It does suffer the beginnings of sprawl, but not as bad as other areas. 1 hour to Portland, less than 2 to Boston.

I live in Wells on the border of North Berwick. Wells is an expansive small town that has thousands of acres of woods and streams in addition to the ocean frontage. I frequent North Berwick for lots of my daily conveniences like gas, produce, and eats.

All in all it is a pleasant town to live in.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
North Berwick has a very nice fish and game club with good ranges. In addition to the outdoor ranges there is a 25 yard indoor range for winter practice.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
My hometown. Good town good Fire and Police Depts as well as a very good Rescue Squad. Each year around March or April they have a town meeting [you really need to go] The folks discuss the spending by voting on each article [open vote every shows hands] There's a Cumberland Farms conveniance store in the center of town. as well as a Dunkin donuts in town off Rt 9. It is a older small town folks are pretty good. Nice and quiet. [I miss it and wanna go home]

Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
Welcome to North Berwick Maine is the town's website Many many interesting facts The woolen mill in town was in the movies Jjumanji [with Robin Williams] has been written about in many of Stephen King's books. Is partr of SAD 60 [School Administration District] with Berwick and Lebanon, High school sports are known as the Noble Knights
The town has a community center that has many activites all thru the yr as well as many fun times in the Mill Field in the center of town [beside the Wm Hill Fire Station]. ALSO to note the FD and Rescue are volunteer [FD is pay per call which means a point stystem is set up they get so much per quarter for so many call each firefighter reponds. [covers gas and time spent off work and such] Tho they are volunteer they are top notch departments well trained, equipted, and motivated [ALSO has great mutual aid relations with other departments]

There IS crime [as is everywhere] BUT the Police work hard to catch it.

Thre are some good honest folks there who do plumbing, heating, electrical work and other things.

If you need anymore info feel free to pM me and I'll answer what I can.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
I highly endorse this area to live in as my formative years were spent in Eliot, just a little south of the Berwicks. It's a great area. My mom used to take me and my sisters to all the beaches in this area including the York beaches, Ogunquit, Wells and Moody beach. The area is close to many things like said beaches, Portsmouth and it's cool bridges, other NH shopping places, Boston and of course the Sox play only a little over an hour away.

My sisters still keep in contact with their 60's classmates that still live all over that area. We left in the late 60's for CT and then CA but that area is still me and my sisters favorite place to have lived. The winters are relatively mild along the southern Maine coast compared to western, central and northern Maine. Just a little maybe but still noticeable.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Default Many great comments and suggestions

Wow so many of you replied with such helpful and positive comments and suggestions! Yes, what I have seen of the area I love. The small town atmosphere that I have here in Vermont with easier access to Boston, especially via rail. I grew up on Long Island, and I can't tell you how much I miss the ocean.

BTW, I would die for an indoor range in this neck of the woods but alas, we have none. Even outdoor is difficult!

Now I just have to be patient and hope all it it comes together. Thanks again, everyone!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:14 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Here is a link to the North Berwick Rod & Gun Club.

North Berwick Rod & Gun Club - Maine

The larger building on the right is the indoor range. The building on the left is the clubhouse. The entire facility is handicap accessible.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Indoor range

Thanks, NMLM, for the link. I would definitely take advantage of that indoor range. It looks like a nice club! So many things to do in the area (at least for a newcomer!) but honestly, being near the water again will be reward enough :-) Not to mention people-watching, which I can't do here for lack of people where I live.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
You'll need a sponsor to join or to attend as a guest to the NBR&G range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine