Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 AM

86 posts, read 484,164 times

Advertisements

I do think it costs more to live in Maine while the salaries may be on the low side. However, There are only a few States I would want to raise my kids in. Maine leads the way there. Very nice State that is very accepting of outsiders. (I think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,216 times
I agree with 100% about Maine.I moved up from Ma. 8 years ago and
should have done my homework. I live in Searsport and everyone around
me is on disablilty or on welfare. There is one person that I know of that chooses not to work, so the state of Maine pays for her rent, electicity,food
health ins. and gets special rates on her phone,etc. I don't know this person
personaly but know she stays home all day on her computer and smokes.
Like Judge Judy says what a wonderful country we live in.
I'am 62 with no health Insurance have worked all my life. I have payed
taxes all my life and get nothing for it. I know alot of stories about people
around here. Thanks

Old 02-09-2007, 05:05 PM

59 posts, read 265,878 times
I'm also a Searsport resident now, I've lived in Maine all of my life. I haven't met anyone on welfare, but many are self employed because jobs in this area are hard to find unless you travel to Bangor. I also wish you had done your homework, the last thing we need around here is a transplant with a bad attitude. Please do not paint us all with the same brush.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
There is good and bad everywhere in the country. I live in S.E. Texas, where it's mostly bad. The crime rate is OUTRAGEOUSLY higher than anywhere in Maine, the job rates are lower, the poverty is MUCH higher, the school's are poorly equipped to teach our children and, as a standard, turn out below average test results every year. The average income in our town is $15000-16000 according to the most recent census and the overwhelming majority of people are on welfare.

I can totally relate to the comment about Maine being at the top of list in terms of places to raise a family. Kidnapping and rape of children in this area of the country is out of control and terrifying! I won't even let my kids walk to the car in our driveway without me being out there with them, because kids are snatched out of front yards and over fences all too often now. In our tiny town of 8,000, I won't even go out to Walmart late at night by myself because of the mess we have to deal with here. I complete lifestyle change is exactly what we're looking for.

When a family makes the decision to make such a major move in life, ALL things must be carefully considered and prioritized. Do your homework. Compare statistics - especially those that most matter to you. And make sure you have plenty of money set aside and a job lined up when you get there! That would apply, no-matter where in the country you were to move.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
I have lived in high crime areas. I have lived in high tax areas. I have lived in areas with high un-employment. [20+ years career military, I have moved around a lot]

None of that describes what I have found in Maine.

The BIG crime? college kids drinking! LOL

It is in every newspaper, every edition. Cops busting college kids for drinking and folks act like we have crime. No rapes. Statewide we do have a couple murders each month, STATE WIDE! LOL

The schools are great! Our youngest son is in highschool. He tests low, but not low enough to qualify for special ed. the school says that is okay, they have the empty seating and extra teachers and computers, so he is in there getting tutored and bringing his grades up. Small schools can bend the rules, like that and they do.

Land is cheap, housing is cheap!

Taxes? LOL you have got to be kidding. This is the favorite topic of most Mainers. To whine about their taxes. Maine has four income tax brackets, none of them are the highest of the nation, none of them are the lowest, we rank somewhere in the middle on each bracket.

I own Forrest woodlot acreage riverfront property. My taxes are $1.05 per acre, per year. I have property in Connecticut, 1/4 acre that costs me over $3500 in taxes each year. Up here I have 42 acres and it costs me $47 each year.

I transferred both of our cars to Maine plates, it cost me less than a third of what it had been costing me down in Connecticut.

Jobs are scarce, though my wife was able to transfer from her job down there, into an opening here very easily. She works in a grocery store making $16.50/hour stocking produce.

We have been here for two years. So far I have not met anyone on welfare.

Good luck, and welcome to Maine

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine