Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times

Advertisements

One of the guys I work with says "Guh-RARJ," and it's starting to make me a little crazy. There's only 1 freakin' L in that word!

Is this a Maineah thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
One of the guys I work with says "Guh-RARJ," and it's starting to make me a little crazy. There's only 1 freakin' L in that word!

Is this a Maineah thing?
Gotta say, that when I look at 'garage' I see a limited number of 'L's in it too.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Gotta say, that when I look at 'garage' I see a limited number of 'L's in it too.

I meant R.

See! That's how crazy it's making me. I can't even remember the alphabet!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Something I've noticed about people who have lived here either their entire lives or most of their lives is that they sometimes talk like the English. They may not have the English accent but they throw Rs at the end of some words.

Instead of:

"I saw it"

they say:

"I sawr it"

Doesn't drive me crazy but sure is different.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
I'm guessing you meant 1 "R."

This is a phenomenon called "intrusive R" which exists throughout eastern New England.

Basically, it has to do with that "ah" vowel in the second syllable of "garage." In the traditional eastern New England accent, that vowel exists in two types of words: 1) [ar] words like far, car, yard, etc. and 2) words like father, palm, spa, garage, aunt, etc.

Traditionally, people in eastern New England didn't pronounce [r] after vowels, like the words in category one. This is still heard today. However, many people make an effort to pronounce their Rs (probably because of the unnecessary social stigma attached to "dropping your Rs").

The problem is that category one contains a lot more words than category two, so most people associate that "ah" sound with [ar] words in their heads. This means that sometimes people will accidentally insert an [r] in the category two words where it doesn't belong. So "spa" might sound like "spar" and "aunt" might sound like "aren't."

This all happens below the level of consciousness. It has nothing to do with intelligence or how articulate someone is; it's just one of those fascinating quirks of human language. I was a graduate student in linguistics and this is the kind of stuff that intrigued me.

This phenomenon doesn't exist for most people under 30 because they have lost the older "ah" sound altogether. Instead, it has merged with the "aw" sound, so that the words "father" and "bother" rhyme (this isn't the case for most older people in Maine).

Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Something I've noticed about people who have lived here either their entire lives or most of their lives is that they sometimes talk like the English. They may not have the English accent but they throw Rs at the end of some words.

Instead of:

"I saw it"

they say:

"I sawr it"

Doesn't drive me crazy but sure is different.
Yep, that's the same idea. In this case it's specifically called a "linking R." You'll hear the same thing in most R-dropping accents across the globe, including English, Australian, and New Zealand accents.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Good info, Versau. Thanks!

I love accents, and generally I've found most Maine accents very charming. But for some reason whenever the guy talks about his garawrge, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,533 times
My mate is from Ohio where they warsh everything! We leave r out and they put r in

Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
My mother always 'warshed' things. She was from Oklahoma.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Garage is pronounced gar-rarge

route as in route 1 , is pronounced root

scallops is pronounced scall-lops (all as in all) not scal-lops (al as in al the name)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: