Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times

Advertisements

Just got back from Lily Bay State park and these things were everywhere! When I woke up every morning there would be about 50 sitting in two groups between the fly and the tent. Then, after dark, they would be running all over the table, running up my legs, etc..... I like the little buggers, but it was creepy in a way. Almost the the movie The Birds, except with Daddy-Longlegs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Just got back from Lily Bay State park and these things were everywhere! When I woke up every morning there would be about 50 sitting in two groups between the fly and the tent. Then, after dark, they would be running all over the table, running up my legs, etc..... I like the little buggers, but it was creepy in a way. Almost the the movie The Birds, except with Daddy-Longlegs.
It's an annual event when you live on the water. Our house (the sunny, fly-covered side) is covered with them in late August, early September every year. It can be a little creepy, especially when they are two and three deep in places. And the harvestmen (daddy long legs) is an arachnid but not a spider

Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl;20974574[B
]It's an annual event when you live on the water[/b]. Our house (the sunny, fly-covered side) is covered with them in late August, early September every year. It can be a little creepy, especially when they are two and three deep in places. And the harvestmen (daddy long legs) is an arachnid but not a spider
Oh boy. Good to know!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Oh boy. Good to know!
They are harmless, can't bite. I have a phobic fear of spiders, which makes them disconcerting until I identify the things. Usually I just gently grab a leg and toss it off me.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,109 times
Quote:
They are harmless, can't bite. I have a phobic fear of spiders, which makes them disconcerting until I identify the things. Usually I just gently grab a leg and toss it off me.
I loathe spiders. LOATHE! But the Daddy Long legs don't bother me so much. And they just sit there on the house. They don't dart, skittle or appear out of nowhere and their stay is short.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times
I don't like spiders and Daddy long legs never bothered me. I had one on my hand one time and I swear to god it bit me! It was just sitting there with it's body down on my skin and I felt it bit me. It hurt enough for me to jerk my hand!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
I don't like spiders and Daddy long legs never bothered me. I had one on my hand one time and I swear to god it bit me! It was just sitting there with it's body down on my skin and I felt it bit me. It hurt enough for me to jerk my hand!
I don't know what happened, but Daddy long-legs physically cannot bite you, it's impossible.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know what happened, but Daddy long-legs physically cannot bite you, it's impossible.
Yes they can. There was a Mythbusters. Adam got bit several times. What they can't do is poison you. Their toxin is not strong enough for humans.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
Yes they can. There was a Mythbusters. Adam got bit several times. What they can't do is poison you. Their toxin is not strong enough for humans.
Ah, those looked like Daddy Long-legs spiders, not the opiliones. This from Opiliones Q & A (http://www.arachnology.be/pages/Opilio_QandA.html#E - broken link) :
##
Can havestmen bite people?

Not really. Harvestmen or Opiliones can pinch the skin with their chelicerae (i.e., claws with a moveable finger like a crab claw) but seldom can penetrate human skin. However, some have sharp spines that can cause bleeding. Some also can pinch hard with their back legs and cause considerable pain. These spines are especially found in males of some larger species in South America.
##

So, maybe someone could get pinched, but opiliones don't have fangs, not even little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine