Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times

Advertisements

Beautiful post!!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:46 AM

48,157 posts, read 22,020,175 times
Lovely images, thank you.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:53 PM

653 posts, read 1,919,976 times
Thanks for the lovly post, wish we were there.

We did the closing on the property south east portion of Graham Lake in Oct 07, at the time of closing our atterney give us a zoning law it show we can build 100 feet from the normal high water line and minimum of 200 feet of the shoreline. This week the soil engineer sent us the link to Mainegov.org in quote below seem to indicated diffently, wonder when the 250 feet from the shoreline become effective

Quote:
The Shoreland Zoning law requires that municipalities protect shoreland areas through adopting shoreland zoning maps and ordinances. Zoning ordinances provide for what types of activities can occur in certain areas. For example, they address building size and setbacks, and the establishment of resource protection, general development, residential, and other zones. Shoreland areas include areas within 250 of the normal high-water line of any great pond, river or saltwater body, areas within 250 feet of the upland edge of a coastal wetland, areas within 250 feet of the upland edge of a freshwater wetland except in certain situations, and areas within 75 feet of the high-water line of a stream.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:19 AM

68 posts, read 195,424 times
Read the code book a little closer. The 250 foot setback means that you can't do a major clearing of trees within that zone. In Mariaville, from 100 to 250 feet of the high water mark you can clear cut and build your camp/house but the total area can't exceed 20% of the lot size. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:48 AM

642 posts, read 1,256,979 times
Default 9 below zero

At 4:30 a.m. this morning it was 9 degrees below zero on Graham Lake! The snow makes a squeaky/crunchy sound under your feet. We let the dog out on his own this morning - knew he wouldn't stay out long. Thankfully it isn't windy and so it really doesn't feel too cold out unless you take a deep breath and then you can feel it. The car felt like it had pudding in it instead of gas. Temps rising into possibly the 40s this weekend. Will make for great snowshoeing and cross country skiing. If it has to be winter, it's better with snow!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:30 AM

281 posts, read 1,055,249 times
OMG! My brother came down to see me in Georgia and we were remincing about this very lake! We grew up on this lake and we were talking about the floating islands and the sand bars we camped on. Good thread!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,743 times
Default house for rent on graham lake or Mariaville area?

Does anyone know of a house to rent on Graham Lake or in Mariaville?? We stayed in the cedar cabins last year but want something larger...Please let me know if anyone knows of any.. thanks alot!!!! We love it there and want to visit our children who have a summer house there!!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,886 times
Default lake expert!

Hi! I have lived on the lake my whole life and it has quite a history!! My dad grew up on the lake along with my grandad. We have pics of the biggest turtles i've ever seen being hoisted out of the water. The lake is good or bad depending on your needs. It is great fishing. (my son knows the best spots but probably won't share them!) It is great boating and exploring, there are many islands on the lake where you can have cook outs. The shore line doesn't have the best beaches BUT if you take a boat out to one of the islands you can find some wonderful sandy beaches that most people don't know exsist. The water levels can be a nusence. when they drop the water depends on the year. Usually by the end of july you notice that it has dropped significantly and by august you definetly see the difference. It depends on the amount of rain we had at certain times of year AND the company that owns the dam. We actually like the water drop because the kids put the high boots on and go out looking for crayfish. The one down fall is that where it is a man made lake you have to know where the water is deep and where it is not, there are lots of sand bars under the water along with drift wood and rocks and water skiing is not the safest thing, it can be done but you really have to know the lake. Hearing all the wonderful comments about the lake warms my heart because we are moving soon and hope to rent our house as a summmer rental.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,247,553 times
There was a dock company on rt 179, but I think that they moved to the Ellsworth industrial park.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,743 times
Default summer rental

Hi would you be interested in renting out your house this summer for a week or 2?? Please e-mail me at Ldivello@comcast.net thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollster9 View Post
Hi! I have lived on the lake my whole life and it has quite a history!! My dad grew up on the lake along with my grandad. We have pics of the biggest turtles i've ever seen being hoisted out of the water. The lake is good or bad depending on your needs. It is great fishing. (my son knows the best spots but probably won't share them!) It is great boating and exploring, there are many islands on the lake where you can have cook outs. The shore line doesn't have the best beaches BUT if you take a boat out to one of the islands you can find some wonderful sandy beaches that most people don't know exsist. The water levels can be a nusence. when they drop the water depends on the year. Usually by the end of july you notice that it has dropped significantly and by august you definetly see the difference. It depends on the amount of rain we had at certain times of year AND the company that owns the dam. We actually like the water drop because the kids put the high boots on and go out looking for crayfish. The one down fall is that where it is a man made lake you have to know where the water is deep and where it is not, there are lots of sand bars under the water along with drift wood and rocks and water skiing is not the safest thing, it can be done but you really have to know the lake. Hearing all the wonderful comments about the lake warms my heart because we are moving soon and hope to rent our house as a summmer rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine