Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,856 times

Advertisements

Great skiing on the lake last weekend. Just enough snow around the edges to make for smooth gliding most of time. A few icy spots kept it interesting - and a little dangerous. Dang dog got a little too close to the road and I called him back rather sternly. Down over the hill he comes, 90 pounds of flying labradoodle going 20 mph until he hits a patch of ice right next to me. He's airborne just long enough to knock me three feet back and on my backside! Popping those ski boots off those skis while lying on the ice at a 45degree angle is darn near impossible. In fact I had to remove a boot to right myself! Then my boot filled up with snow before I could get it back on. You get the picture. Of course the dog didn't know it but I refused to speak to him all the way home (even though it wasn't really his fault). We've kissed and made up and are raring to go next weekend.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 AM

7 posts, read 20,549 times
Smile Cats are safer pets

Loved this story! Your writing is always fun to read. Is your dog out of the doghouse yet?
We own a lot on the Ellsworth end of the lake, and are hoping to build our retirement cabin in a year or two. We visited it at Christmas, and I must admit, it was hard to leave....about seven whitetail deer were startled by our arrival, and the smell of the evergreens beat any Christmas candle from the mall. The snow was not too deep at that point, but it was clean, white and crusted with ice. I identified with that Robert Frost poem as I headed back to my still fulltime teaching job: " The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep".
Needless to say, I am hanging in there, and hanging on to returning to Maine. And when I arrive for good, I cannot wait to meet all of you wonderful Grahamlakers!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 AM

Default Graham Lake Dog

Yes, the dog was out of the dog house by the time we got back. All the snow is gone so our Sunday tramp was on a road into a gravel pit close to home. A six mile icy walk but I had my "studded snow tires" strapped onto my hiking boots while the pup struggled to keep all four paws under him. The pit road is an okay alternative to snowshoeing or skiing on the lake, the dog likes it because he can't get into any trouble since it's a gated road with no traffic. It's snowing now, beautiful white fluffy stuff that would make perfect skiing conditions on the lake, but alas, it's forecasted to change to sleet, and then freezing rain. The dog and I wish for good February and March snow. In a week or so it will be light early enough in the morning for a quick two mile ski before work and then a week or so after that it will be light late enough for a sunset ski after work. Sunset skiing is a breathtakingly beautiful experience. Bright orange sky behind the little islands as we race back to the house. Guess who always wins that race?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 AM

Default Graham Lake Snowcovered

Well, the lake is snow covered again. It has drizzled, flurried, rained and snowed almost continually this week. Fat clouds across the lake look like snowmen running along the tree line. Skiing around the shore will be great. It's been warm and it looks like the water has risen so I won't be wandering too far away from solid ground - at least until I see a motorized vehicle ahead of me.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times
Default lake covered snow

only time we went cross county skiing were with the trail guide. when we are on our own, what would be a tale tell to let us know we are not ski on the snow covered the water.

Quote:
Well, the lake is snow covered again. It has drizzled, flurried, rained and snowed almost continually this week. Fat clouds across the lake look like snowmen running along the tree line. Skiing around the shore will be great. It's been warm and it looks like the water has risen so I won't be wandering too far away from solid ground - at least until I see a motorized vehicle ahead of me.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 PM

11 posts, read 56,784 times
Can anyone tell me about a new 100+ lot development plan for the Waltham side of the lake? I think there is a public hearing scheduled. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:56 AM

We stay right on the shore line if we're not sure of the ice. And I mean right on the shore line. If there is little snow on the lake that is where it will all be. The wind blows it up on the shore line. When you come to a rock or stump if you look down into the ice around it you'll see no water, just frozen dirt.

It snowed all night and the wind is blowing something fierce! The woodstove on the porch can barely keep the space warm. Another 6 to 10 inches tomorrow. That means probably just snowshoeing this weekend unless we find a snowmobile trail on the lake.

It's just been a super winter, so far. Can't understand why anyone would want to be in Florida.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times
haha, it is sunny in the 60 may go to the upper 70, ways too warm and no snow on the ground.

Quote:
It's just been a super winter, so far. Can't understand why anyone would want to be in Florida.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:31 AM

16 posts, read 58,038 times
I've been biding my time for the lake to be safe for us to get over to our camp on Hardwood Hill. Have any "motorized" vehicles gone out on the lake yet ? Usually by now, there are a couple of vehicles out on the lake icefishing. Hoping to go up next week for a bit, but Mother Nature hasn't been cooperating with us this year... We can't wait to bring our Pup up for the first time ! She'll be in seventh heaven playing fetch on the lake and I'll have a buddy to go hiking/etc...with . Can't wait !

Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Graham Lake outing

Finally able to get back out on the lake after a busy two weeks. There is good snow cover around the shore and the center is bare ice. The long, winding cracks in the ice have filled in with snow and the sky this morning was filled with long, white wispy cloud strings and jet engine plumes. I felt like I was snowshoeing between parallel games of cats cradle. A beautiful, warm but windy day. The dog and I went five miles. I didn't take enough water and he was so thirsty he drank right from the bottle so I panted all the way back.

Two good sized four wheelers loaded with ice fishing equipment went up the lake this morning. We haven't seen any trucks yet this year. I don't think there is much water under the ice along the shore yet. The big rock just off our shore is totally exposed and when we take our first spring swim it will be over our heads.

It's supposed to be nasty again tonight and a wind warning for tomorrow. The dog and I had hoped to celebrate President's Day with a long ski. Looks like I'll be on the treadmill and he'll be sulking on the floor nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine