Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcyr View Post
Get it out of your lottery.
what is it with you and the lottery.
so you dont like the lottery.
this is what i do and you can try it DONT PLAY THE LOTTERY.it works.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
The Mustang is the bonus from a drug bust. They have several such vehicles gotten through drug busts.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droobie View Post
Don't you mean Governor 73?

Any good Angus King has done has been shattered by 8 years of Baldacci and his rather willing group of friends in Augusta. However, I'm curious who the 'next guy' is going to be. The choices last election weren't so thrilling.
Anguish King did absolutely no good for the State, in my opinion. He was a carpet bagger who made millions shuffling some paperwork for CMP and presided over the tremendous outflux of business that started with his predecessor and brought in the infamous call centers, as well as other useless, non productive enterprises. Remember, he changed the sign on the Turnpike entrance from "The way it used to be," to "Maine on the move."

He fell asleep at the switch during the great ice storm of '98, as his beloved MPBR and it's supposed emergency capabilities went down during the first few hours of ice. It was Jerry and the crew at WVOM who saved lives, and kept tens of thousands of Mainers informed and in touch, over a three week period, not his office. That story needs repeating, (but I'll get to that at a later time.)

Now, he is involved in another $20+ trillion bubble, in it's infancy, called Cap and Trade. He is heavily involved in the promotion of wind generated power in Maine. You can tell I just love the guy!

BaldArchie won with 38% of the vote. With the huge pack of wannabees running, we might actually get a Governor with a fewer percentage of the electorate. We need to amend the Constitution to allow run off elections. I will do anything in my power to prevent Peter Mills from getting elected, and I'm a republican!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM

92 posts, read 226,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Anguish King did absolutely no good for the State, in my opinion.
I'm not so sure I feel that way, at least not with his time as governor, but opinions are opinions. I'd have taken another 8 years of him over the 8 years of Baldacci certainly.

Going back some time, I'm no Mckernan fan, I think that guy was a privileged butthead that had no business running the state. Then again, much of this could be said for the people that are in the State House too.

Quote:
It was Jerry and the crew at WVOM who saved lives, and kept tens of thousands of Mainers informed and in touch, over a three week period, not his office. That story needs repeating, (but I'll get to that at a later time.)
I will agree with that. I remember listening to WVOM through much of the ice storm. All things told, we lost a few days of power here in the city where I am (near the high school), but luckily there was food and stuff open in the mall area and our truck made it up there and back. Some people had no power or anything (many in Holden come to mind) for weeks.

I'm not a MPBN fan at all. For a place that always 'needs money', they already have HD Radio and they were first in the region with HDTV. The whole thing seems bizarre to me.

Quote:
He is heavily involved in the promotion of wind generated power in Maine. You can tell I just love the guy!
Do you have a problem with wind power generation in general, or do you just have a problem with the execution/business part of it? I've nothing wrong with wind generation, but I can see situations where we'd pay more for it.

Quote:
BaldArchie won with 38% of the vote. With the huge pack of wannabees running, we might actually get a Governor with a fewer percentage of the electorate. We need to amend the Constitution to allow run off elections. I will do anything in my power to prevent Peter Mills from getting elected, and I'm a republican!
I couldn't vote for Chandler Woodcock because of Tabor. I believe I left the Governor section of the ballot blank as result.

I talk with people in Skowhegan that aren't very interested in seeing Mills in the State House. I'm mostly amused by how similar Peter Mills looks to Robert Carradine (Lewis on Revenge of the Nerds).

I'm not sure if Josh Tardy is running or not, but would you consider that a more acceptable solution?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
A $2.00 tax on Allen's Coffee Brandy should take care of the shortfall quite easily!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
We live today under the Baldacci/Tardy budget. Two peas in a pod; one with a D and one with an R beside their names on a ballot. When the budget vote came on the 2007 budget there were 13 heroes who voted against it in the House. When the 2009 budget came to a vote we had 26 who voted against that bloated putrid so-called compromise. In November next year we need to throw the bums out. We will never begin to recover with most of the present members in Maine's legislature.

We get a chance to repeal some of their foul deeds at the next elections.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 AM

85 posts, read 184,622 times
How much are we spending on this laptop program? And didn't the state vote it down and King go forward anyhow? We need to sublet some of the road maintenence to local contractors who are much more efficient. 3 days and 6 men is too long to install a culvert. This state is run from Bangor south. Let a "Northerner" run the show for a few years... Maybe that would help, maybe not but it has go to be worth a try.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We get a chance to repeal some of their foul deeds at the next elections.
Very well. Then who would you be looking toward for Governor, out of those who are running or are planning to run? Or is the answer 'none of the above'?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post
How much are we spending on this laptop program?
Are 'we' really spending anything (tax dollar wise)? I was under the impression this is paid for using the Universal Service Fund on the phone bills.

However, the new version of the program appears to also charge the actual schools something, I don't believe this was the case before.

Quote:
And didn't the state vote it down and King go forward anyhow?
Possible, I forget.

Quote:
We need to sublet some of the road maintenence to local contractors who are much more efficient.
Wardwell (now owned by Lane) is doing much of the work here already. I"m not sure about the rest of the state. Pike/PII is doing the work in Dover-Foxcroft, but that might be a Municipal project, not a state one.

Quote:
3 days and 6 men is too long to install a culvert. This state is run from Bangor south. Let a "Northerner" run the show for a few years... Maybe that would help, maybe not but it has go to be worth a try.
I agree with you here. I'd also like to see people in public office that actually ran businesses in this state. There's not much worse than trying to run a business here. I suspect they'd understand how to get businesses to come in, create jobs, and market the hard-working Maine people. So far, we've not had one of those people, to the best of my knowledge.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
Politics do not belong in a state forum. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine