Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Just stick to front-wheel drive vehicles and you will be fine. I do so a lot of folks who drive the 4WDs and pickups and every time they come out of a driveway onto the roads, they do tend to fish-tail and spin around. Applying torque at the rear of a vehicles is just the wrong place to apply it, if there is ice on the road.
I've driven RWD, FWD, 4WD, 6WD and 10WD, and I've got to say that FWD is the worst of the lot...for someone that knows how to drive. If you lose traction with FWD, braking or accelerating, you're screwed no matter which way you slice it. If you lose traction with RWD you can at least slew the tail end around so that you don't hit something head on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM

37,459 posts, read 61,373,044 times
On ice sliding around there is nothing that you can do. It does not matter what kind of vehicle you drive.

However even if you only occasionally get a little grip from your tires, FWD can save you.

When your sliding and positioned sideways, torque from a RWD will push you off the road. It simply can not be controlled.

FWD even when you are sliding, you can still keep the wheels pointed in the desired direction, and by applying torque, whenever they finally do grip, then you once again have control of your vehicle.

A small patch of ice with RWD, who knows where it will send you.

A small patch of ice with FWD and you are right back in control.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,934 times
Default Retire to Maine or OR coast

I have been in Oregon only 4 yrs, but had a place on the Maine coast for over 20. My preference is Maine, unless weather is a big issue. ME is can be harsh in the winter. I love the seasons and October is my favorite month there. There is nothing I have seen anywhere in the US that comes close to the charm of the ME coast. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more actual coastline to ME than California - there are thousands of islands, lovely harbors, sounds, charming villages. The OR coast, which I have not explored a great deal, seems boringly uniform, lacking charm, loaded with tacky houses and fast food joints, and almost always interrupted by the highway. ME's convoluted coastline makes it impossible for the road to always parallel the coast. However pay attention to ME taxes! Certain place (e.g. Camden, ME) have very high local coastal property taxes.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey2 View Post
I have been in Oregon only 4 yrs, but had a place on the Maine coast for over 20. My preference is Maine, unless weather is a big issue. ME is can be harsh in the winter. I love the seasons and October is my favorite month there. There is nothing I have seen anywhere in the US that comes close to the charm of the ME coast. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more actual coastline to ME than California - there are thousands of islands, lovely harbors, sounds, charming villages. The OR coast, which I have not explored a great deal, seems boringly uniform, lacking charm, loaded with tacky houses and fast food joints, and almost always interrupted by the highway. ME's convoluted coastline makes it impossible for the road to always parallel the coast. However pay attention to ME taxes! Certain place (e.g. Camden, ME) have very high local coastal property taxes.
Good observations

Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 33,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey2 View Post
I would chose Oregon over maine hands down... better weather, beaches, more open space and on and on.

I'm curious Osprey... Why did you comment on a two year old thread, it's not like the original poster is going to see it... like I said, just curious.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe View Post
I would chose Oregon over maine hands down ... better weather, beaches, more open space and on and on.
While shopping for a retirement home, I did spend a few weeks in Oregon looking around.

Oregon is a very nice place.

However Maine has much more 'charm'; and more coastline, and more islands, and more harbors, and certainly far more lakes, ponds and rivers.

There are the occasional townships that do have high taxes in Maine. Fortunately such is a rarity.

We prefer the lower cost-of-living that Maine offers, along with the lower population density.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine