Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:44 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Does anyone have suggestions of places to see in Millinocket? So far we've just gotten advice to go to the Appalachian Trail Cafe.
There's this place too.

It's a great destination for a motorcycle ride on a Sunday too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Quote:
Our cabin is on a path off of the Golden Road. To say I'm excited about this trip would be an understatement!
If your camp is on the Millinocket side of Telos bridge, or not close to Kokadjo, I'd take the interstate up.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Thanks again for the advice everyone. We're staying off I-95 altogether so we'll probably pick and choose from everyone's suggestions using the Google Maps drag feature. (Great suggestion!) It will be a late night tonight with packing and devising a route.

Does anyone have suggestions of places to see in Millinocket? So far we've just gotten advice to go to the Appalachian Trail Cafe.
Not much to see in Millinockett I'm afraid.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM

414 posts, read 303,506 times
Quote:
Thanks again for the advice everyone. We're staying off I-95 altogether so we'll probably pick and choose from everyone's suggestions using the Google Maps drag feature. (Great suggestion!) It will be a late night tonight with packing and devising a route.

Millinocket is a nice little town and a few places to eat and all, but the real reason to go up there is for all the outdoor recreation. Make sure you hit baxter state park, tons of lakes to canoe on all over, etc, etc, etc. Recreational Activities (http://www.katahdinmaine.com/recreational-activities.html - broken link)

I'd also recommend the taking a drive up rt. 11 to ft. kent. Its a beautiful ride.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 AM

90 posts, read 171,761 times
You could also take coastal rt-1 then get back on the I-95 in Bangor. Lots of small neat towns that way, but lots of traffic.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM

264 posts, read 759,339 times
I'd assume your going to visit here Welcome to Baxter State Park at Baxter if in Millinocket?

There are very easy trails if your not able to walk far. There is Sandy Stream Pond with a good chance of seeing moose. When you enter, talk to the ranger at the welcome office and they'll help you choose a spot according to what you can do. There are pretty spots that are picnic areas with lakes/ponds that you don't even have a walk to. Or if your up for a decent hike but not too long, there is a 1.4 hike up to a beautiful 60 foot waterfall.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 AM

48 posts, read 123,807 times
The Grindstone Scenic Byway heads north from Millinocket/Medway, and is wicked pretty. I'd definitely recommend it for a scenic, relaxing drive.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,667 times
Update: we took the suggestions to go through the western mountain area of Maine through central Maine to get to Millinocket. We took 95 back down so it wouldn't take 10-12 hours to get home. Thank you everyone for your suggestions; we saw lots of great little towns on our way up.

The trip to Baxter State Park was PHENOMENAL. For all the Mainers who haven't been, it is a "must visit" park! The rangers were exceptionally helpful with one even leading us directly to our cabin at 10 PM on the night we arrived in town after we got lost. The rangers at the entrances to the park can tell you anything you would ever want to know about the trails, wildlife, etc. (NJ2ME, the wildlife sighting sheet in the visitor center did show that moose were sighted at Sandy Stream Pond a few days before we arrived.) We couldn't do too much hiking because of the rain, but we were able to walk through a good portion of the Hunt Trail and we got to the summit of Sentinel Mountain. Almost every night we heard moose and coyotes from our cabin. We bought a season pass and we're planning on returning for a long weekend in autumn.

We didn't do too much in Millinocket but enjoyed driving down the eastern side of the park to Patten. On the drive home we stopped in Bangor and we were pleasantly surprised by how bustling and--frankly--nice, the city looked compared to Portland which we have visited a million times but have never fallen in love with. We are now adding Bangor to our list of towns to apply for jobs.

Pictures coming to picture thread shortly!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
The Grindstone Scenic Byway heads north from Millinocket/Medway, and is wicked pretty. I'd definitely recommend it for a scenic, relaxing drive.
We drove down this byway and we did stop to take pictures several times. Absolutely gorgeous.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Traffic on that road is substantially reduced and will remain so unless the mills in the Millinocket area reopen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine