Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM

30,573 posts, read 16,263,911 times

Advertisements

could you offer to help one of the wood-supply guys in return for wood? They can spend all their time cutting; you could split/stack-or some variation of that.

Most they could say is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,093,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
could you offer to help one of the wood-supply guys in return for wood? They can spend all their time cutting; you could split/stack-or some variation of that.

Most they could say is no.
A lot of the outfits use mechanized wood processors, greatly reducing the need for manual labor.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,688,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Hardwood cut split and delivered?

Care to share the cord price?
$260 a cord cut,split, delivered. Nice dry seasoned wood and a real good measure. I have been using this guy for several years. He went up just a bit from last year because of the price of diesel. He said it will be over $300 soon. That's what he was offered by the guy who stopped him. He could have made another $80.00 for the load and brought mine later if he wasn't already sold out. Bydand there must be other factors besides the availability of hard wood that keeps the price down in Michigan? Lower demand? Availability of Natural Gas? I think Maine has a very high demand so that keeps the price up. I could spend the summer cutting wood off our back lot and probably get all I need. I do cut a cord or two of just standing dead stuff every year just to add to the pile. I have 1/2 a cord out there now to cut and split. On a cold winter we'll go through 5 cords between December and April.That's keeping the fire burning without going out for a month at a time. Starting and stopping it uses less wood. Our place is just over 2500 square feet on two levels. New windows, but we could use some blown in insulation. We either burn more wood or more oil... either way it costs nearly the same.

Last edited by Maineah; 06-13-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,395,251 times
Thanks for the "kick in the pants",... it reminded me to order some wood. $170 a cord cut, split, delivered. It'll be delivered the first of the month. AND,.. I ordered early enough so that he'll deliver out of the wood cut last spring so I know it's good and dry.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,100,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Thanks for the "kick in the pants",... it reminded me to order some wood. $170 a cord cut, split, delivered. It'll be delivered the first of the month. AND,.. I ordered early enough so that he'll deliver out of the wood cut last spring so I know it's good and dry.
$170 a cord!? Where are you, MSINA?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 18,984 times
i got it for 175.00a cord cut 16" split and delivered, green... out of Mechanic falls.......

Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM

846 posts, read 1,022,289 times
I'm thinking I need to start hauling Red Oak north! A cord here is seldom over $85.00 dollars, never heard of a delivery fee. I cut my own anyhow.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,395,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
$170 a cord!? Where are you, MSINA?
Near Lincoln. This gentleman was recommended by my brother and a neighbor after paying $240 a cord for wood that was supposed to be seasoned a couple of years ago. That wood was so wet I thought they'd stored it in a pond somewhere.
This supplier has just about filled his orders for seasoned wood, anything after this will be wood cut this year.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,945,025 times
Two years ago I got my wood cut - split - delivered - green for $150 a cord from a guy I've done business with for about 10 years. I used to buy from his father. I get 6 or 7 cords depending on what I have left from the previous year's stack.

Last year I was expecting some kind of increase but he came through again at $150.

This year --- $150. I don't know how he's managed to do that but I'm not complaining. It's all been stacked for the past two months and will be good to go when the time comes.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM

468 posts, read 759,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I'm thinking I need to start hauling Red Oak north! A cord here is seldom over $85.00 dollars, never heard of a delivery fee. I cut my own anyhow.
Seriously, don't do that.

Moving firewood is one good way to move introduced, invasive, and very damaging insect pests such as emerald ash borer and Asian long-horned beetle from one contaminated forest area to another. In fact, Maine, and many other states have basically outlawed the importation of firewood unless said firewood is kiln dried in a kiln at a high enough temperature to kill insect larvae hiding on and under the bark.

I wouldn't move air-dried firewood much more than 50 miles if I could help it. Certainly, I wouldn't move firewood from my parents' Massachusetts home to my Maine one or vice-versa even if it wasn't against the law (which it now is.)

Lots of convenience stores in the suburban Boston area sell shrink-wrapped firewood from NH and VT and if one looks closely, it's all kiln dried. While the label touts the advantages of kiln drying for the customer, it's done this way to sufficiently sterilize the wood for interstate transport. By the way, I bet you'd HATE to know what they get for wood sold this way. Typically, it goes for $5.99 to $10, for what amounts to 6 or so, 16" sticks - maybe 15 pounds total. That's something like $700 a cord - of course to get this price you have to stick a label in there, staple a rope handle to the thing, and then shrink wrap it

Most of the kiln-drying of firewood is done by piling the freshly split cord-wood onto pallets with wire cages on top and then loading it into a warehouse heated by a large, wood-burning furnace fed with leftover wood scraps. Typical treatment, I've read is something like 160 to 175 degrees for a 3 to 5 days. If anybody has the straight scoop on this, I'm all ears.

Last edited by beltrams; 06-13-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine