Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:28 PM

393 posts, read 982,500 times

Advertisements

Right now the post offices in my area (Western Maine/White Mts.) are all being monitored for the next two weeks. They will count the number of people visiting, the number of pieces of mail that are incoming and outgoing, and the number of transactions conducted at the counter. Those that are found to have too little business will possibly be closed down. The post office is considering the closure of up to 2,000 rural branches throughout the US, due to deficits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Our post office is a little booth in the back of a mom 'n pop store. We have delivery and there are actual post offices ten miles one way and eight the other. Ours could easily close.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
The Taj Mahal in Topsfield could cover everything from Princeton to Danforth and east to The border.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I find it interesting that they do not already know exactly how many pieces of mail flow through each P.O. every day.

After all they have all been scanned and counted, before they were sorted.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Starting about 2 weeks ago, the mail that I process for Milford and Bradley is now going to Orono/Old Town. Mail for Holden, Dedham, Lucerne, Clifton and Eddington is now going to Brewer.

E-mail, instant messengers, Skype and other modern communications are strangling the Postal Service.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:19 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
There aren't any 3rd class offices that make money.
Only a small percentage of 2nd class offices are profitible.
Privitize it. Whenever the postal service needs money, they run to Congress.
Yeah, a great business model.....
Home delivery costs the US taxpayer $200/year per box.
An inhouse box costs the taxpayer $1400 a year per box.
....and in our debt full nation the powers to be keep spending and spending....

Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
There aren't any 3rd class offices that make money.
Only a small percentage of 2nd class offices are profitible.
Post offices weren't ever meant to be "profitable". They were always part of the US gubmint, and never ran into trouble until after 1971, when they became a "quasi-gov't agency". Phooooey!

Quote:
Privitize it. Whenever the postal service needs money, they run to Congress.
The US Constitution requires "universal mail service"...unless you're one of those folks who consider the Constitution a "living document". Double phooooey!

Quote:
Yeah, a great business model.....
Hey -- what do you expect from a bunch of bureaucrats???

Quote:
Home delivery costs the US taxpayer $200/year per box.
An inhouse box costs the taxpayer $1400 a year per box.
NOPE. Our tax dollars do not support the post office. It is run exclusively on postage.

Quote:
....and in our debt full nation the powers to be keep spending and spending....
YUP, that part's true...

Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM

393 posts, read 982,500 times
7th generation, I am curious, how could an inhouse box cost more than home delivery? The home delivery costs money for gas, money for vehicle maintenance, and for the carrier. Surely an inhouse post office box avoids these costs and must be cheaper?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Nor'Eastah mentions:
"The US Constitution requires "universal mail service""

I happen to carry one in my pocket. I read it while waiting for appointments. In what Article, Section or Amendment do you find this in the Constitution? I see in Article 1, Section 8 that Congress has the power to "establish Post Offices and Post Roads." I see nothing about universal mail service.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I see in Article 1, Section 8 that Congress has the power to "establish Post Offices and Post Roads." I see nothing about universal mail service.
Right you are, NMLM!

I had been told this by our own local postmistress, but upon further investigation, I cannot find it, either. So I looked it up. The Universal Service Obligation is a policy of the postal service, a mandate, and goes hand-in-hand with the delivery monopoly. Apparently, the universal service costs could only be offset by the postal monopoly on first-class mail, which it obviously does not now have, what with email, fax, UPS and FedEx, text messaging, etc.

Perhaps that is why they are in such a pickle financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine