Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 AM

885 posts, read 1,499,523 times

Advertisements

I just had my (dug well) water tested and everything is fine except the Total Coliform reading. The E coli reading is fine. Can I shock it with bleach? I need to use it for a while until I can afford a drilled well. I probably will just go buy a water cooler and fill the jugs at the town office for free! I have been using bottled water from the grocery store but thats a lot of plastic to deal with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,720,281 times
Yes dump a gallon of bleach in it let it sit for a few hours then run it until you no longer smell bleach. Thats how the used to do it when I worked on new houses with dug wells.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,029,934 times
Here are the instructions for bleaching a well.

Disinfecting a Domestic Well with Shock Chlorination

Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Great! Thanks!!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,745,619 times
If you follow the directions on the link, make sure you turn off power to your water heater before draining it. Then refill the water heater and vent it BEFORE turning the power back on. If you forget to do this your water heater will burn out.

Most people just turn off the cold water flow to the water heater before shocking the well. Putting chlorine into the heater can corrode the heating elements and cause the heater to fail.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,767,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I just had my (dug well) water tested and everything is fine except the Total Coliform reading. The E coli reading is fine. Can I shock it with bleach? I need to use it for a while until I can afford a drilled well. I probably will just go buy a water cooler and fill the jugs at the town office for free! I have been using bottled water from the grocery store but thats a lot of plastic to deal with!

What's a water cooler worth these days? A couple hundred?

Why not invest that money in a UV sterilization unit and then you'll have safe water running through your entire house.

Whole house UV units run about $400, are easy to install and are virtually maintenance free. UV sterilizers kill all viruses, bacteria, cysts, etc without adding chemicals to your water. When you finally get a drilled well, you can simply add the UV unit to that inflow pipe and be assured that your water will be safe to drink.

http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-...-silver-uv.php

If you choose to go the UV route, be sure to spend an extra $30 for a 5 micron filter to put between your pressure tank and the UV unit. It will keep any sediment from reaching the sterilizer and will extend the life of the quartz sleeve inside the unit.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-07-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 08:08 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,506,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
What's a water cooler worth these days? A couple hundred?

Why not invest that money in a UV sterilization unit and then you'll have safe water running through your entire house.

Whole house UV units run about $400, are easy to install and are virtually maintenance free. UV sterilizers kill all viruses, bacteria, cysts, etc without adding chemicals to your water. When you finally get a drilled well, you can simply add the UV unit to that inflow pipe and be assured that your water will be safe to drink.

Sterilight Silver Series ultraviolet (UV) sterilizers / water purifiers

If you choose to go the UV route, be sure to spend an extra $30 for a 5 micron filter to put between your pressure tank and the UV unit. It will keep any sediment from reaching the sterilizer and will extend the life of the quartz sleeve inside the unit.
I agree with this solution. Bleach shocking is definitely the cost-effective way to do it, but who won't know if/when the bleach shock is no longer effective and your coliform levels rise again (withougt re-testing). Between re-testing and the time/effort it takes to shock, you may as well install a system that will fix the problem regardless of what is going on in the well.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 AM

23,644 posts, read 17,325,826 times
Coliforms are an indicator as opposed to a pathogen as I recall.

So the new well had high coliform count? Wonder why? Not sealed properly?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM

UV is a good idea and thanks for the link...not as expensive as I thought. I am searching for a solar powered unit so I won't have to us CMP to run it.

( it's not a new well....at least 5 or 6 years old and done by an ameture)

Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM

Well, I found a dealer for solar powered units.....yikes! $1500 to $5000.....too rich for my blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine