Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
Ah, no 2nd and 3rd generations don't necessarily "assimilate with a vengeance". As they like to say in the financial services industry "past performance is no guarantee of future success".

There are plenty of neighborhoods in So Cal where it is considered selling out to join "whitey" society and where various ethnicities deliberately close themselves off from the very towns and cities in which they live. I wish it was, but I'm sure this trend isn't specific to So Cal.
Nice of you to assume that "whitey" society is the dominant culture in Los Angeles. Last time I checked, whites were only a third of LA's population and now lag behind the Hispanic population. Sounds more like you're the one who's not assimilating. But I'll bet your children are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Nice of you to assume that "whitey" society is the dominant culture in Los Angeles. Last time I checked, whites were only a third of LA's population and now lag behind the Hispanic population. Sounds more like you're the one who's not assimilating. But I'll bet your children are.

Sounds like what is happening here. In our little suburb of 8500, we are now 49% white, 27% black, 20% Hispanic and a little bit "other", whatever that is.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Get some perspective. The same comments have been made (barring the genital mutilation) about every immigrant group that has come to America -- French Canadian, Irish, Jewish, Swedes, Jamaicans, Czechs, and on and on. The first generation always creates its own enclaves and clannish associations. It's the second and third generations that assimilate with a vengeance, move out of the "old neighborhoods" and join the larger society.
I'm Asian American and this is true for me, what you say. Almost all my friends are non-Asian. I speak Chinese at home with my parents but I don't know anything about anime or ping pong (stereotypical Asian things here). I listen to country music, support the military and watch only football and basketball. However that's because my town was mostly non-Asian until the past 5 years.

The "old neighborhoods" argument isn't always true....not when the said "neighborhood" includes all of West and South Texas, all of Southern California, and all of South Florida. When the U.S. plays Mexico in the World Cup, Mexican Americans cheer for Mexico. A lot of illegal aliens' kids who were born in America do not speak proper English or still have a heavy Spanish accent.

Also modern technology makes it harder for immigrants to assimilate. 100 years ago, it took weeks for a letter to get to Italy and there were only a few Italian newspapers in the U.S. People were naturally distanced from their home countries in Europe and had to speak English to function in America. Now that people can get Al-Jazeera or Mexican TV stations, they watch those instead of American news. A lot of Muslims here followed the Iraq war only on al-Jazeera, giving them a very biased and anti-American viewpont.

A lot of Mexicans here only listen to and watch Spanish language TV and radio which is heavily radical and supportive of illegal immigration. Also, immigrants travel regularly back to their home countries. I really hope immigrants from around the world can integrate into our country but it seems less and less likely as time goes by.

I actually only came on the Maine board to respond to the guy complaining about "hot weather" But this caught my attention since illegals are an issue I really care about. I didn't know there are illegals even in Maine. My friend wrote a letter to our local MD senator complaining our illegals and she actually wrote back saying how if we arrested all the illegals now our crabbing/seafood industry will collapse. I guess same thing with lobster up there?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Also my main problem is with ILLEGAL immigration, not regular immigrants like my parents. Illegals are the ones who are the least law-abiding and most radical ones. Many of the protestors said that parts of the U.S. rightfully belong to Mexico this is complete baloney. They lost the war, deal with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine