Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:23 AM

33 posts, read 189,375 times

Advertisements

See Hussey's here. http://travel.mainetoday.com/fromaway/060901.shtml (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 30,297 times
Someone else had posted that if you lived in Fayette the kids got to choose between high schools and could attend Kents Hill and I guess the town paid for it. It looks great if that is the case and does run a equestrian program through a local riding school. My only issue was that there were only 7 homes for sale in the area although I see they are selling lots in a planned subdivision so maybe by the time I seriously get ready to move there will be more available

If this were the case.........I am thinking there would be NO HOMES available in that town not only that I would probably camp out just to have my child be able to go there. Of course if you live in the town the child doesnt have to live on campus at Kents and can still attend "At a reduced rate"<still pricey tho> and you would be responsible for transporting and all. I am not sure if maybe you got the info I gave earlier confused where in some small towns where there are NO high schools you can pick and choose where you would like to attend. Keep researching...It's the best thing to do..

Old 09-28-2006, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 30,297 times
I mentioned this to hubby before he went to bed and he named the cost that he knew of lately/along with board and no board. As far as Kents goes....it is an "upper class" PAY kind of PREP school HERE ....I know its confusing. Even where I live in a small town with no high school the town will pay to go to a somewhat private school. You are more than welcome to email me so we can talk/chat more closely. Details can mean ALOT. I have 4 kids that have what I call "survied" Maine.... 22/21/20/8/ Im trying to rescue the last LOL............

Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,105 times
Question Interested in Wallagrass, Maine

I have been interested in Wallagrass, Maine. I was wondering what the area is like, what type of employment there is. My husband is an experienced truck driver. I wondering about any type of employment for myself. What type of homes are available. How it is to raise children there. How is the educational system there. What type of recreation there is for a family. Taxes in all aspects. What type of winters can you expect living there. If anyone can give me all the information they can on Wallagrass I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, DJ

Old 10-24-2006, 04:29 PM

35 posts, read 97,943 times
Smile Definitely Consider Moving To Maine

The place that I would recommend in Maine is far East, such as Eastport. It is probably the last community that sits on the wide open ocean, with spectacular views of the Bay of Fundy. Very deep port that houses the military ship that comes in on the 4th of July. There are lots of events such as the seafood festival, salmon festival and not to far away, the annual Blueberry festival.
The taxes are very low for waterfront and coastal property. We were in Eastport over Labor Day, spending time on the ocean and watching the whales and seals.
The Bay of Fundy separates the U.S. and Canada. One can go across to Canada either by boat or car, just 10-15 mins. away. Just across the way is Campobella Island, were President Roosevelt's summer historic vacation home sits. The home has been maintained in its original state since early 1800, and open to the public for viewing. This is a must see.
It is a very pristine area, with breathtaking views. Everything in town is within walking distance, such as the local high school and elementary schools, post office, grocery store, banks, gas stations and local shops on water street. The nice things is there is no traffic and no crime. The fisherman come in daily at the local dock and one can purchase lobster and crab. By the way lobster is about $6.00 lb. Maine has the best lobster in the world.
We do have pictures of the area, feel free to e-mail us at teri14@verizon.net or trom14@yahoo.com.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Default considering maine

hi there, there is a vocational technical college in fairfield, maine, and also one in auburn, maine. i believe maine is like many areas, intown locations may be pricey, but the towns outside the cities are far less-expensive.Maine is a beautiful state and a very rural state, meaning you can drive five miles from most cities in maine and be in the country.
for 250k you can buy a lot of house, and enough money left over to have a huge lobster-feed.
when considering an area or town, also consider local property tax rates, they vary greatly!
In my job, i travel all over the state, feel free to write me an email, with any questions about an area in the state, i'll try to answer.
good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 40,765 times
I'm a realtor in the central southern Maine part of the state. You can easily find yourself a nice house in most area's of the southern part of the state for $250K. Bangor is a nice area, and the only area with a racino. If there's anything I can do to help you in your search, please feel free to email me with questions. Good luck and remember: Maine, the way life should be!!!

Old 11-11-2006, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
Yes, pretty much exactly what the other poster said. We can make a living and pay our bills, but we can not get ahead. Not at all. We live a VERY modest lifestyle and have no savings at all. The cost of heating oil, electricity,taxes and insurance are taking their toll on us. Our kids are grown and on their own and also struggling. We think now would be our window of opportunity to try something new. We are not selling the home we live in, we are renting it out to family. If moving does not bring better changes for us we can come back. Maine is gorgeous and our family is here but for us it is time to take a chance and see what else is out there. Maybe we will regret giving up our jobs and starting over, if this does not work and we move back, we will have to find jobs all over again but we are going to try something new. This is not for everyone and believe me, we have received a lot of flack and negativity. We just think for us..it is time to try.
Best wishes to you in your adventure!
Sounds marvelously exciting!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,266 times
I guess im missing the harsh winters in Maine...I have live here for 29 years and maybe it's because I live in Ellsworth (30 SE of Bangor) on the coast and I remember being a kid in the 80's yeah some snowy winters and cold days but geesh it's snowed how many times this winter...like 3 times? It's 47 outside today...nothing "harsh" about that.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,052 times
Hello,
I am a Special Education Teacher relocating to the Bangor/Charleston area for a position. I have two eleven year old dogs with good references! I just don't want to part with my two loyal buddies. When I looked at the classifieds in the Bangor Newspaper it was evident that it is hard to find a rental or even lease to own place that would accept dogs. I am very responsible. Does anyone have any helpful information?
Thanks,
Specialedteacher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine