Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I have never read where Maine schools are ranked high compared with other new england states. You cannot compare the states standardize testing IMO because each state is responsible for creating their own. But if you look at SAT scores, graduation rates, higher education rates. Ma is better, Nh is better. Maine only had 3 HS that were rated in the top 1000 schools. Cape elizibeth, Yarmouth, and bangor. I have not been impressed with Maine's educational system. What I do like is that there is way less problems in our schools compared with some other states but unfortunately that will change.
I have been impressed with our school dept in Calais. Currently in our HS we have three teachers who earned Maine State Teacher Awards last year alone. We have a school based Health Center. We have also been chosen to be a site for 3 different pilot programs....one is designed to increase the amount of physical activity the students receive during the school day, and only a handful of schools (3 or 4) were chosen from the entire state. Our school health coordinator has programs in place which enable students and community members to "sign-out" kayaks, life vests, tents, various camping equipment, snowshoes, skiis, etc....these are free and can be used for up to a week at a time. The tech ed program is incredible, and so are the classes offered through the technical school. We have active arts and music departments, and the athletic teams are very strong--our boys basketball team won the state championship again this year, with another undefeated season--- 56-0 is their record. The classes at both the elementary school and HS are small....the teachers are skilled and qualified with teaching certicates and Bachelor's degrees---at the very least. I have never worked in the school department here, but I do have 4 children in the Calais schools. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
Quote:
I have never read where Maine schools are ranked high compared with other new england states. You cannot compare the states standardize testing IMO because each state is responsible for creating their own. But if you look at SAT scores, graduation rates, higher education rates. Ma is better, Nh is better. Maine only had 3 HS that were rated in the top 1000 schools. Cape elizibeth, Yarmouth, and bangor. I have not been impressed with Maine's educational system. What I do like is that there is way less problems in our schools compared with some other states but unfortunately that will change.
We've been researching overall performance of Maine students compared to national averages, and to our area in particular. The graduation rate at 82% in Belfast, ME (where we are planning to settle) blows our city's 60% out of the water. The post-graduate rates are astoundingly different, as well, which is of even greater importance to us.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
As a teacher I am entirely offended by your remark. I have not been in the schools for 5 years now, having gone into social services and recently completing another Master's. I am so shocked that a teacher would even make a statement such as this, knowing what is involved in the daily structure of the classroom and the planning and development that goes into lessons plans. That by far makes our schools far from homogeneous. Add in the personalities of students and teachers....have you ever been in a classroom in a teaching position beyond student teaching?? With an attitude such as this, it's not difficult to understand why you did not get the job. How would one EVER disguise that feeling? A teacher should never, ever underestimate his/her impact on a student.
I was thinking that, but you are far more qualified to say it than I! Thanks!!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 PM

23 posts, read 142,391 times
Default missing point, but i deserve backlash

i deserve to be scolded for clearly posting an inflammatory remark, and i really do apologize. i should quit posting negative, agreed it gets old. i think that i was just trying to say teachers deserve MORE pay, and better qualified peers. i think also that the ed tech scenario was instituted because so many, unlike youself, are NOT willing to get paid fast-food wages and work with non-professionals who get paid almost the same....many educated folks who want to make a difference (like myself although not reflected in my attitude-agreed) get despondent when faced with starvation lifestyle, when teaching the next generation. i think your great for teaching here, i would not do it, don't want to live any poorer than I am now. may i just ask, when you started, what was your pay???

Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,725,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I have been impressed with our school dept in Calais. Currently in our HS we have three teachers who earned Maine State Teacher Awards last year alone. We have a school based Health Center. We have also been chosen to be a site for 3 different pilot programs....one is designed to increase the amount of physical activity the students receive during the school day, and only a handful of schools (3 or 4) were chosen from the entire state. Our school health coordinator has programs in place which enable students and community members to "sign-out" kayaks, life vests, tents, various camping equipment, snowshoes, skiis, etc....these are free and can be used for up to a week at a time. The tech ed program is incredible, and so are the classes offered through the technical school. We have active arts and music departments, and the athletic teams are very strong--our boys basketball team won the state championship again this year, with another undefeated season--- 56-0 is their record. The classes at both the elementary school and HS are small....the teachers are skilled and qualified with teaching certicates and Bachelor's degrees---at the very least. I have never worked in the school department here, but I do have 4 children in the Calais schools. I love it!
I am gladd you like the schools there. I am aware of the basket ball team and thats great. I often have to bite my lips around some family members that are teachers. But my reality is I couldn't care less about what awards a teacher wins or some new health program for the kids or that the teachers have 4 year degrees. CAN THEY TEACH? ARE THEY TEACHING?. Basically I do not know why we have been reinventing the wheel for the last decade while our children continue to decline academically on a global scale. for me School is an extension of learning that begins at home. Considering the massive break down in family values and responsibility during the last several decades I do not totally blame the schools for everything. But when I was kid we had gym every other day all year long and it was manditory for everyone to participate. Today they do not. When i was a kid we had the presidential awards for physical fitness and it was competitive and yet rewarding. Today they do not. When I was kid we learned that to win you have to work hard but it is also possible to fail even when we try hard. When I was kid we had spelling words every week. We learned how to process math problems using proven techniques and a pencil, we learned how to write our own book reports with a pen, and we were held accountable if we failed. We sometimes fought and made up which taught is how to solve our own problems rather than hold it in and bust out with an assault rifle because we can’t deal with anything. Basically I want to see an educational system that teaches the basics but then prepares children for adult hood. Nothing I have experienced with my own children says we're doing that. We are losing to places like India which produce 100 times more engineers then we do. And they come over here and are hugely successfull while more and more Americans complain that they are not making enough at their good government job. And yet i still find teachers with 25 + years of teaching that disagree with me and accept with open arms all these new ideas. Maybe I am too old fashion

Old 07-30-2007, 04:14 PM

23 posts, read 142,391 times
Quote:
I am gladd you like the schools there. I am aware of the basket ball team and thats great. I often have to bite my lips around some family members that are teachers. But my reality is I couldn't care less about what awards a teacher wins or some new health program for the kids or that the teachers have 4 year degrees. CAN THEY TEACH? ARE THEY TEACHING?. Basically I do not know why we have been reinventing the wheel for the last decade while our children continue to decline academically on a global scale. for me School is an extension of learning that begins at home. Considering the massive break down in family values and responsibility during the last several decades I do not totally blame the schools for everything. But when I was kid we had gym every other day all year long and it was manditory for everyone to participate. Today they do not. When i was a kid we had the presidential awards for physical fitness and it was competitive and yet rewarding. Today they do not. When I was kid we learned that to win you have to work hard but it is also possible to fail even when we try hard. When I was kid we had spelling words every week. We learned how to process math problems using proven techniques and a pencil, we learned how to write our own book reports with a pen, and we were held accountable if we failed. We sometimes fought and made up which taught is how to solve our own problems rather than hold it in and bust out with an assault rifle because we can’t deal with anything. Basically I want to see an educational system that teaches the basics but then prepares children for adult hood. Nothing I have experienced with my own children says we're doing that. We are losing to places like India which produce 100 times more engineers then we do. And they come over here and are hugely successfull while more and more Americans complain that they are not making enough at their good government job. And yet i still find teachers with 25 + years of teaching that disagree with me and accept with open arms all these new ideas. Maybe I am too old fashion
Now, that was really well said. IMPRESSIVE! I was glad to read someone thinks a bit about the future of our kids, and does not automatically go defensive and such. Maine pays teachers 4 to 5 thousand dollars less than neighbor states, and that won't fly for people wanting to teach here, sorry.
To teach and live at the poverty level is unacceptable! Further, if jaded and bitter educators are the majority, soon schools will perpetuate the collapse of moral and intellectual nuturing... the promise of the next generation will be overlooked by the politics of greed, and failure to accept and recognize flaw. (people will always think what they want- even if you tell them things like Maine is ranked 45 th, and give reference)
Expect more teachers to be of a lower standard, and expect our upcoming generation to emulate.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 PM

duplicate duplicate duplicate duplicate duplicate duplicate

Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loges View Post
Now, that was really well said. IMPRESSIVE! I was glad to read someone thinks a bit about the future of our kids, and does not automatically go defensive and such. Maine pays teachers 4 to 5 thousand dollars less than neighbor states, and that won't fly for people wanting to teach here, sorry.
To teach and live at the poverty level is unacceptable! Further, if jaded and bitter educators are the majority, soon schools will perpetuate the collapse of moral and intellectual nuturing... the promise of the next generation will be overlooked by the politics of greed, and failure to accept and recognize flaw. (people will always think what they want- even if you tell them things like Maine is ranked 45 th, and give reference)
Expect more teachers to be of a lower standard, and expect our upcoming generation to emulate.
hey loges were talking on two different posts but I think were standing on commen ground. Can it be fixed with more money? Does higher saleries mean better teachers? its hard to have faith in the current system.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Not sure if anyone has considered this, but true TEACHERS teach because they feel called to do so, not to get rich. The low teacher's pay is common in all states. I'm sure the averages pretty much follow the salary trends for every industry in each state. DH will make approximately 10% less in Maine in his field than in Texas, and would probably make more in other areas of the country. This idea begs us to reconsider why we're moving to Maine. Are we moving to get rich financially or to have lifestyle wealth? I know what we're coming for!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
Quote:
My kids have gym 2x a week, it's mandatory. Calais school department still participates in the Presidential Fitness Award. My kids work hard and they have weekly spelling words up until grade 9. They do their math step by step, on paper, and write their rough drafts by hand in school, only using the computer for that final copy, just as I did. We have supper as a family every night....even though we have 3 teenagers and an 8 year old. We go on family vacations, and my kids don't run the streets. If they did, I'd know...gotta love a small town! lol....Just because on a national scale things aren't looking so great in education, does not mean in any way shape or form that it is like that EVERYWHERE. The generalizations in this case don't cut it. There are fabulous teachers in our state, who are recognized by parents and students and their peers as such....and I care about them when they're recognized statewide with an award, and I care that my kids go to a school where sitting for 3 hours straight isn't acceptable. Getting up and moving and learning cooperatively is necessary and mandatory. I understand that education of a teacher does not mean that teacher is a good teacher....but in my experience there are far, far more outstanding teachers here in Maine than mediocre teachers in Maine. It's too bad that you had a terrible experience with the education system in Maine, but that doesn't mean that your experience is everyone's experience. It also doesn't mean that your experience happens the majority of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine