Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,521 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Boston, have lived in South Portland, Maine for 10 years. We are looking to buy a house and found and awesome one in Biddeford Maine....it's near Alfred st. Pike st. Pool st. area. How is this area? I really know nothing about Biddeford so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,677 times
Default your question

Hi,

Biddeford is about as economically diverse as it gets. The downtown isn't the prettiest, I'll admit but it makes up only part of the city. It is on the Saco River and the ocean. Outside of the downtown core, it is middle class. The ocean neighborhoods are about 5-7 miles away, and the real estate there is untouchable for anything less than 700k, give or take. However, there is plenty of beach access parking for residents of all parts of the city.

Biddeford gets a bad rap from other Mainers, but don't let it phase you. Mainers are strange people in general, and like to put down places they aren't familiar with. There is also prejudice against French Canadian people in Maine, of which Biddeford has many of this descent.

The fact is, its less than 90 minutes from Boston without traffic, on the ocean, has a brand new middle school and a much-needed upgrade to the high school is in progress. There are plenty of places to eat and shop. Compared to most of Maine, there's a lot more going on in Biddeford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongirl1978 View Post
Hi, I am from Boston, have lived in South Portland, Maine for 10 years. We are looking to buy a house and found and awesome one in Biddeford Maine....it's near Alfred st. Pike st. Pool st. area. How is this area? I really know nothing about Biddeford so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)

Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Sounds like a dissatisfied transplant there. I don't know too many people that think badly of Biddeford or Saco. It has come quite a way from the old mill town w/tenemaents. I cruise it every so often visiting my kids in Saco. Nice brew pub down past the river a ways. Close to Boston, Portland, pretty much anywhere. Not my cup of tea but maybe I'm just typical. Never noticed any prejudice againts French Canadiens either; there or here. Guess I should notice more being one.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Quote:
Biddeford gets a bad rap from other Mainers, but don't let it phase you. Mainers are strange people in general, and like to put down places they aren't familiar with. There is also prejudice against French Canadian people in Maine, of which Biddeford has many of this descent.
I don't consider myself strange, do you? I happen to live a bit closer to the Canadian border than Biddeford, I don't see prejudice against "French" Canadians here. Guess I don't know it when I see it? lol

Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Some of my best friends are French Canadian people

Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM

63 posts, read 222,673 times
There is a lot of prejudice against French Canadians in the restaurant industry, especially during the summer. That's where I've seen it mostly though.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM

63 posts, read 222,673 times
The area is definitely not the worst in Biddo, but it's not the best either, being that it's close to UNE and downtown. There are some really nice houses in the area though and being that they bulit up Biddeford Crossing a bit, you won't have to drive to SoPo, to go to Target, Walmart, or a few chain eateries. I went to UNE, lived in Portland for a few years then moved back to Saco about a year ago. I don't regret it at all

Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,538 times
When you said "Outside of the downtown core, it is middle class" do you mean Obama's middle class? at $250.000 a year? or real middle class?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM

68 posts, read 195,241 times
The location described by the op IS right in the downtown core, definately not a middle class neighborhood. I apologize if this comes out wrong but it is in a lower income section of the city, not to be confused with slums though.
I have lived either in or close to Biddeford all my life so I know the area quite well.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,099 times
Wow. I've lived in this area all my life. I bought a house in this neighborhood. I've lived on this same street for 6 years in 3 different buildings. We would be neighbors lol literally! I think you are talking about the green house on the corner?Biddeford is still a small town!
This neighborhood specifically, is economically depressed. Not bad enough to get the funds like the Bartlett Court/Kossuth St area. A few years ago, there were financial incentives to renovate the Bacon St area (2 blocks over) and before that it was Graham St. Pike and High street will most certainly have their day of renovations soon. There are several vacant buildings on the street. A few are condemned. Some have been purchased and are in the process of renovations. The thing that bothers me most about living here is that the corner is really busy. I have nearly been hit in my own driveway and a car crashed just short of my living room only 2 weeks ago!! No one does 25mph. Also, I feel like I live in a fishbowl!To me there's too much traffic and people! I have watched a 5 year old sitting a foot into the crosswalk, completely unaware of the danger and no parent in sight- many times. I've seen domestic assault occur right in the middle of the sidewalk- that's how come you'll have a shiny brand new stop sign in front of your house. Plan on air conditioning, because the summer nights will break your heart- so many kids crying, and you can literally hear them getting smacked. That's the bad side...
The good stuff, is that it's really a great location.You are walking distance to Clifford Park, which has a playground, basketball and tennis courts, and trails in the woods that you can hike, bike, snowshoe, etc. You're only a few miles a huge selection of beaches. Biddeford AND Saco are going through renovations with the old brick mills (I'm actually looking into how to rent one of those!) with an up and coming artist community. There is a definite hometown feel in both Biddeford and Saco, with the communities hosting several family events. Biddeford has an art walk every month, the LaKermesse Festival(hopefully?), Chalk on the walk, and a new Farmers Market.

In reference to prejudice, well, some people are always going to hang on to their unrealistic stereotypes. In this area, the history is that the mill owners lived in Saco and the mill workers lived in Biddeford. I am of French Canadian descent, 100%, and proud of my hard working ancestors. You will hear the uneducated and the stubborn make those kind of comments, unfortunately. Saco is definitely "prettier", but I feel Biddeford is more real. Maybe it was growing up in Saco schools during the 70's and 80's, but there was definitely stigma if you didn't have money or if you live in Biddeford.What you see is what you get on this side of the tracks, for the most part. The other big issue around here is MERC, a trash to energy facility. It has a history I'm not even going to TRY to get into, but if you like local politics, I can guarantee you won't be bored.
If you can live in Boston, Biddeford is a cake walk!
If you take nothing else away from this, especially if you have kids, just do one thing before you move anywhere but especially here- check the sex offender registry REGULARLY. You can find it on the Biddeford PD webpage.
Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine