Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times

Advertisements

One of the things I plan to do when I get up there is have a real garden again! I have gardened -- to one degree or another -- every place I have lived except Portland OR... and that includes MI (where I grew up) SoCal (as a young woman) and WI (where I started my family), eastern WA (where I raised them in the "boonies") and the south -- TX and NC, where I am now. Every place has of course been different and I have had something to learn.

What I have learned here is that to have a any sort of garden at all in Beaufort NC requires hauling in "real" soil (the combination of silt and sand both doesn't want to let the water in, and then when it does, allows it disappear into the groundwater, never giving the plants a crack at it) and paying WAY more than I could ever imagine for even the most judicious and effecient irrigation. Plus we go from cold enough that the cool-weather crops lag to hot enough that the even the hot weather crops are stressed overnight.

If there are any gardeners on the board, I would love to hear about your gardens... how the season runs, what the challenges are (short season is one I expect...) and how you meet them. Can you get leaf lettuce to stand through the summer by making repeat sowings of seed every few weeks? Does anyone work with cold frames/greenhouses to extend the season and if so with what veggies and flowers? When is "strawberry season," "corn season," etc...

I presume it will vary some between coastal and more inland locations, but I would love to hear from anyone!

Starwalker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM

44 posts, read 130,524 times
I have been gardening in Maine for three summers now. You can enjoy cooler weather flowers like cosmos. Daylillies do great here as well as coneflowers and the like. Boothbay has a new botanical garden that would be a great resource for you. We got a lot of divisions of lillies and blackeyes susans and coleus (sp?) from my husband's co-worker and they are doing great. Soil was pretty good--you can add seaweed in the fall. Good luck here in So. Portland you can plant at the end of May
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine