Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,332 times

Advertisements

It's completely working. Glad you had a good time. That's so excellent.
And another great story, too. This is exactly how florida USED to be. You always knew someone would come to help.
Anyway, yep, I am really considering putting my house up for sale now THIS MINUTE ... but contingent sale only if I get the property I want in maine. I'm not being out of house into nowhere. LOL. I need to have a place to land. I'm looking very seriously at three places but not in person yet. If I happen to just get what I want --- that might happen too. The big drive up. OH my GOD I'll FAINT. I'll kiss the ground. LOL. Maybe we'll fly up and then that would speed everything up but I'd like to see things on the way up 95 one last time. Once I get to maine I have no intention of ever going south again. No thank you. Well, maybe to savannah .... or to small parts of the carolinas. But, Florida ... they can keep her. It breaks my heart to look around here now. I'm not against progress, I'm against THIS type of progress. OH NO --- I took your thread off topic I'm so sorry. I don't know what to do but post this now.

And carry it back on over to ask erikalinnea a question that came to mind when reading her second post.
If it's not too nosey. How long have you lived there? Did you feel comfortable right away or did you have family there when you got there? Just curious. That's how it is HERE for me, now. We have family all over the place but I have none in maine unless one cousin is still there but I think he has relocated.
Anyway ... thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm just trying to entice you and dramamama.....is it working?

We just got back from our camping trip this afternoon, and what a great time we had! We stayed in the Katahdin area, in one of the land conservation areas. It cost us $10/night for 4 of us (my 17 year old won tickets to Bowling for Soup and ditched us and the 16 year old is at Bowdoin for a summer program--anyway...), and we were on a lake. The site was primitive, outhouse though, and beautiful. There are many areas there that you could go for a long time without seeing anyone, and while many times it's a nice thing, sometimes it's not. The other day we were all out in the Jeeps (14 of us went), and we drove down this little used road to go to the lake at the end of it. Coming down the road, almost to the lake, this man stepped out from his campsite and waved us down. It turns out that their tire on their Cherokee had a slow leak, and had gone completely flat. They had a spare, but when he went to get the jack out of the back, it wasn't there. Needless to say, he was VERY happy to see us. We all pulled off the road, and the guys helped him with the tire. The girls and I were talking to his girlfriend, and playing with an adorable puppy. His girlfriend told us she'd moved a while ago from Mass to Maine, and had never had one moment of regret. She said that when they realized that the tire was leaking, and had no spare, she wasn't worried. She KNEW someone would come along and help them....she just hoped it was before they ran out of food. She told us that she moved to a small town in Southern Maine, but had to move again within Southern Maine because of the job situation. She felt as if she fit easily into both small towns, and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. They were both very grateful, and it was a chance to do something nice, but the best part for me was hearing her say that she never worried that someone WOULDN'T help....only how long would it be before someone came along. Pretty cool huh?

Thanks to all of you who have been posting. I love this thread and the smile I get on my face every time I read what you all have been writing! It looks like this... ! Ok, it's not green, but red---I'm WICKED sunbehrnd don't cha know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 23,409 times
Default response to mainewannabe

Well, we moved to Maine when I was 5 year old and I went to college in Maine for several years as well. I've lived here for about 19 years total (with a couple years out-of-state in between), which is almost 3/4 of my life.

We don't have much family here, but we had a little history; my grandfather's cousins had a summer place on the coast when he was young and we have some other cousins-of-cousins in New Sweden. My dad's family was stationed in Kittery when he was young and that's one of the reasons my family chose to move here.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,524,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I want more! (moa)

The scary part? I zipped right through reading that!! lol
Wow, not me took me a minute. I definitely have my work cut out for me. I so thought I was prepared from all the Stephen King novels. Guess he tones it down for the out of state folks.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
Had to pull this thread out of the mothballs, but I've got a good story!

Today 2 of the kids and I hopped in the Jeep to drive the 45 miles to the orthodontist. Down by Cathance Lake we passed a car along the side of the road with a flat tire. We slowed down but no one was in the car. About a half mile ahead we saw a man walking, and decided that it must have been his car back there. We slowed down and asked him if he needed any help and was that his car. He started laughing and said, "no, I just live in this next house, and my good jack is in the truck ("good" jack-lol) so I'd thought I'd walk back and get the truck. But you're the 4th person who's stopped to ask!"

Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 37,257 times
I've lived in Maine for a good long time now - though I'm not a native. I don't, won't, and will never pass a person walking under many circumstances. For instance, I'm about 45 minutes from town, if I see someone whom I don't know walking, parked, or sitting I will stop and ask if they need help. It is too remote, the weather is often too dangerous, and the reality of the situation is such that I feel compelled to ask/offer. Another wonderful thing about it is getting to take the 4wd out during all the snow storms and pulling people out of the ditches. My life was complete when I pulled a yuppy out of the ditch in his Hummer last year, that was over near Turner and I was greatly amused. He was, of course, from away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine