Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
Empire Falls is a good Maine film. Filmed in Skowhegan and the last film that Paul Newman was in. It's on Netflix and is about 3 or 4 hours long.
Excellent choice! A wonderful movie.
Too bad The Empire Grill shut down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Peyton Place

Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Peyton Place
Interesting, I never knew that.

"The film was shot primarily in Camden, Maine, with additional exteriors filmed in Belfast and Rockland in Maine and Lake Placid in New York. It premiered in Camden two days before going into general release in the US on December 13, 1957."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Place_(film)

Still from the movie, looks like Camden down there:

Old 11-25-2010, 08:25 AM

607 posts, read 2,368,580 times
Empire Falls...Paul Newman...how old is this movie? I like Paul and have never heard of this movie. Is it kid friendly? Thanks for the input and keep 'em coming.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:10 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Fallen Angel (2003) starring Gary Sinise takes place in Maine (have no idea where it was filmed). It could easily have taken place on MDI or other places on the Maine Coast. There are a few themes in the movie, but I think the one that speaks loudest is moving away from Maine, engaging in a career, then returning home to Maine and experiencing a life-changing event that brings peace and happiness that you couldn't find anywhere else --right in your own backyard. Many on the forum who have never lived in Maine experience something similar upon moving to Maine and assimilating into the Maine way of life. Others who are Maine natives who leave Maine and return can identify with Terry McQuinn (Sinise) to some extent even if their relationship with their parents was a pleasant one. Add that it takes place during the Christmas season.

moviepicks - Clean, Moral, and Uplifting Movies, TV Shows, and Films (http://www.moviepicks.org/movies?movieID=594 - broken link)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Fall out here in the West and I need a quick fix. What movies set in Maine would be a good choice for our "family night" movie. Preferrably showing the Fall colors. Action, supspence, romantic (wife) would you suggest? Has to be kid friendly. Has there been any recent movies made out there? Anyways, if there are two or three movies filmed in around or about the Pine Tree state...I sure would appreciate it.
1989 Movie, "Signs of Life"

Filmed on location in Maine:

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Gamages Shipyard - 6 Gamage Drive, South Bristol, Maine, USA
Stonington, Maine, USA
Thomaston, Maine, USA

Lots of Stonington scenes.

"Synopsis: A touching story of life in rural Maine, and the changes brought about by the closing of a town's small boat-building company -- on which many of the residents depended upon for a living."

You can watch on Hulu online for free here: Hulu - Signs of Life - Watch the full feature film now.

Trailer on Amazon here: Amazon.com: Signs Of Life: John David Coles: Video On Demand

Or you can go to Amazon.com and watch online for $2.99 without commercials, or buy the DVD or VHS from Amazon: Amazon.com: Keywords: 4 selected

Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,078 times
Shawshank Redemption is based in Maine, but not exactly kid friendly, and not much scenery. Great movie though. And for some reason I want to say the Notebook... but I'm not sure that has anything to do with Maine, and again, some scenes I wouldn't be comfortable watching with my kids.
Casper from back when with Christina Ricci was a great movie, and someone suggested Casper, but I'm not sure this is the one they were talking about. But that's kid friendly and I guess it might be in Maine in the fall.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Peyton Place
I'm not allowed to rep you, but that's one of my favorite movies. All full of old gossips, small town secrets, pretty scenery and young'uns who want to leave or can't- sounds just like home!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
[quote=SallyLynn812;16869679]Shawshank Redemption is based in Maine, but not exactly kid friendly, and not much scenery. Great movie though. /quote]

Full title was "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption". Her poster was hiding a secret in his cell. Great movie, better book.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 16,487 times
The beach scenes from Message in a Bottle were filmed down on the beach where Cook's Restaurant is..we were there visiting and people in the restaurant were facing the windows with binoculars the whole time! Oh, if only I would have had a glimpse of Mr. Kevin Costner!
This would not be a kid's movie, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine