Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times

Advertisements

okay my husband grew up in New Sweden , Stockholms neighbor.. they people up there are,, er how should i say it.. unique.. They're not very welcoming of outsiders, they're very very very protective of their very vey very old ways.. I wrote my husband experience and his family upon moving up there on another topic on here, just type in New Sweden it will pop up.. Be very careful and know EXACTLY what you are getting into going into small towns.. Places like new sweden are very into keeping famlies that have been there since the founding of the town in power, Hiring usually only within the family, naming roads after their own family names.. etc.. people get pissed when I say stuff like that but thats the truth of it. Its different for people who are true Mainers and for people who come from out of state. So just be aware and know exactly what you are doing.. Also make sure you are prepared for that type of weather. My husband saw snow in every month up there except for July I think.. You'll have snow by halloween, he did every year. It usually started melting mid to late april.. so expect colder temps almost year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
they people up there are,, er how should i say it.. unique.. They're not very welcoming of outsiders, they're very very very protective of their very vey very old ways.... *snip* Be very careful and know EXACTLY what you are getting into going into small towns.. ..... very into keeping famlies that have been there since the founding of the town in power, Hiring usually only within the family, naming roads after their own family names.. etc.. people get pissed when I say stuff like that but thats the truth of it.
Honestly, I think that could be written about most small towns in Maine. I wouldn't get pissed at what you wrote- In fact, I think most of it is true- I just don't see it as anything bad (which I am guessing you do?), and in fact most of those things are what make Maine.. Maine.

(But I do have to ask.. what is wrong with naming roads after a family? I can't think of any town I have been in where there aren't surnames used as street names, so I'm not sure why you think it's particularly odd to do here in Maine...)

Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
well, I know we don't get snow like we did when I was little....and I'm only 41. (note the "only"!) I'd be surprised if it snowed up there 11 months out of the year. I had friends in HS from Madawaska and Van Buren---we went to Upward Bound together....they ALWAYS showed up with a tan! and this was before tanning beds.....and DVDs....and Ipods....but, I digress....time for bed!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
deerisle,
there's a road in Perry called the "Gin Cove Road"...wonder where that came from? LOL

anyway, most streets are named after people in Maine....adds personality

Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
My husband saw snow in every month up there except for July I think.. You'll have snow by halloween, he did every year. It usually started melting mid to late april.. so expect colder temps almost year round.
Not in the same year though I'll be willing to bet. I've seen snow every month as well, but that has taken many, many years to do. Last year we didn't have snow until after Christmas, and I can only remember snow at Halloween a couple of time in the past 20 years. Snow is usually gone in the fields by mid-April. Cold?? Darn Skippy, but not too bad actually. Have seen it bitter more times than I care to remember, but never so I couldn't get out and do something, you just have to dress for it and not let it dictate your life. Oh, I live just a few miles from New Sweden and Stockholm and didn't grow up here nor have family in the area but even with a Scottish last name have made some real good friends in the area. Are they clickish? Yes, but a lot less so now than just a few years ago. There has been a big change in the attitude of the locals to "outsiders" after the Air Force pulled out of Loring. There is less of a tendency to feel they have to defend the area to people who really don't want to be here, but were assigned to the area and bashed it all the time.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:42 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Quote:
okay my husband grew up in New Sweden , Stockholms neighbor.. they people up there are,, er how should i say it.. unique.. They're not very welcoming of outsiders, they're very very very protective of their very vey very old ways.. I wrote my husband experience and his family upon moving up there on another topic on here, just type in New Sweden it will pop up.. Be very careful and know EXACTLY what you are getting into going into small towns.. Places like new sweden are very into keeping famlies that have been there since the founding of the town in power, Hiring usually only within the family, naming roads after their own family names.. etc.. people get pissed when I say stuff like that but thats the truth of it. Its different for people who are true Mainers and for people who come from out of state. So just be aware and know exactly what you are doing.. Also make sure you are prepared for that type of weather. My husband saw snow in every month up there except for July I think.. You'll have snow by halloween, he did every year. It usually started melting mid to late april.. so expect colder temps almost year round.
Isn't New Sweden the town that a few years ago a longtime local spiked the coffee at the local church with poison and made everyone sick and even killed a couple of people.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 AM

581 posts, read 713,560 times
Milford, +/-10 miles northeast of Bangor has a certain "je ne sais quoi".

Old 07-10-2007, 06:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeedom View Post
you should check out many areas,,,sherman/island falls area,,id recommend

Hi Maineman,

Been doing a lot of research different states,,,I have found the east capture my heart. Now when I was looking over Maine, I found sherman like it.

Could you tell me a little more?

1. Are there jobs near/ If not,,how far away?
2. My research information is housing along with taxs are afforable? purchase a 2000 sq. ft. around 275 taxes around 3000 give or take. please note, very open blanket statment on this, wanting too explain my comfortable numbers with you..
3. I would think friendly people yes?
4. Back to job,, I currently work (Inventory control assoc.) For a great quality of living , willing to look at other jobs
5.I love to swim,anything outdoors,SNOW,,SNOW,,and more SNOW..cooking,bbq's,church, get togethers with friends, long walks, my lab, horse back riding, photography, dancing, beach,, festivals.
soooooo would sherman and I be a good fit?

The funny thing I open a thread a long time back on sherman, posters, said it was not a very good place, I would really like any and all your thoughts. thank you much. take care
maybe its me,,i like the sherman/island falls/oakfield area, ive driven the main and back roads, wide open country,,,and wooded at the same time,,,,i believe the real estate pricing is relatively very inexpensive,,and about 1.5-2 hrs to bangor
but it doesnt have to be the particular town of sherman, thats the beauty of maine,mdrive for 5 minutes from just about anywhere, and you are in the country,,
if i were looking to move to maine,, id diligently, search any and all properties available,,,read all you can about the towns you like, come up for a visit,,
talking to folks can be a good thing,,but what sometimes happens is this,, you come up,,look at a few homes,,absolutely love the area,,,and see some folks ,,outside of thier house,,,you stop may ask for directions,,and then ask about the town, people,,and id like to think most would ,,promote where they are,,,but they'd be some,,that may absolutely hate it there,,for whatever reason,,,and they may tell you ,,,"dont move up here, the place sucks and the people are inbred idiots"
and that could be the only disgruntled person,,in town,,but you just happened to bump into them,,on that particular day,,,
years ago,,that happened to my sister and i in new hampshire she was looking at a couple houses,,the neighbors come over,,and dump on her all the town gossip,,,we couldnt get out of there fast enough,,,,then i thought they planned it,,lol

so, just take some feedback with a grain of salt,,,,when someone gets to be too negative..

for 150-200k,,in a small town in maine,,you can get a good size house with acreage!! look for the small towns,,,around ,,like bangor, waterville, augusta,,the further north you go,,the cheaper it is,,
and downeast,,a few miles from the ocean shore,,there is very reasonable land/houses,,,you go thru towns like cherryfield and see old sea captains houses,,huge places,,,and relatively inexpensive,,tho going up in price compared to 5 yrs ago,,

Old 07-10-2007, 07:22 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Isn't New Sweden the town that a few years ago a longtime local spiked the coffee at the local church with poison and made everyone sick and even killed a couple of people.
Yes it was Daniel Bondeson is the one suspected of doing it.. My husband picked potatoes for him as a kid.. small world huh. The hubby knew everyone that was involved in that poisioning and is even mentioned in the book written by it.. The poisioning was over getting new pews in the church or a new communion table.. something to that degree I can't remember exactly.. anywhoo he did it becasue they were gonna change something that had been the same for hundreds of years

Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,943 times
Quote:
Yes it was Daniel Bondeson is the one suspected of doing it.. My husband picked potatoes for him as a kid.. small world huh. The hubby knew everyone that was involved in that poisioning and is even mentioned in the book written by it.. The poisioning was over getting new pews in the church or a new communion table.. something to that degree I can't remember exactly.. anywhoo he did it becasue they were gonna change something that had been the same for hundreds of years
Reading all the comments just picked the last one to quote. I DID wonder about that. IF the town's so small --- why does it STAY that small? I mean for years. So, that was a concern. I agree it's everywhere --- in FLorida they really ARE all inbred and I'm one of them so ---- I don't really mean inbred as an insult -- ALL OF these people are related to each other one way or another. Marriage, blood, criminal family, gang, employment by the municipalities, what-have-you. LOL. But it IS true, It's just gotten so busy here that unless you KNOW this it would be hard to trace ... some of the people live elsewhere now but still keep FL under their thumbs. Control is success to some.

Anyway, I'm easy to get along with but I really didn't want snow ALL YEAR. My best friend is just over the border in canada and says that there are about six beautiful months, two so so months and four to six hard months depending on the year I guess.
But, they manage.
All of you are managing. It's a different cold down here. It's cold and wet and eaky. IN NY when it was 13 below it felt great, actually.
The better half says talk to him again when it's 65 below because he grew up outside of DC.
I think we'll be fine personally.
Surely some of you are transplants and would say ... COME ON, it's GREAT !!!

I agree that there are many fine homes to be had for a decent price. I have found many ... I'm still looking every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine