Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:13 PM

134 posts, read 343,998 times

Advertisements

Heres an interesting article about the Somali population of Lewiston written by a prominent Anthropologist. I am hoping that some Locals would like to comment on it.

Countering Somali myths with facts in L-A - Jim Baumer: Digital Doorway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
NUff said. I'm glad someone took the time to counter the inflammatory accusations; the very same accusations made about every other incoming foreign language group like southeast Asians. Like the rest of America, Maine has no shortage of bigots and just plain fear-mongering divisive Americans. Over time there will be a another group of newcomers and some of the Somalis will join the fray, complaining about the newcomers unwarranted entitlements. Geesh.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinher View Post
Heres an interesting article about the Somali population of Lewiston written by a prominent Anthropologist. I am hoping that some Locals would like to comment on it.

Countering Somali myths with facts in L-A - Jim Baumer: Digital Doorway
Most of it is Liberal Propganda. The article referenced was in the paper here quite a while ago and some of those "myths" were found to be facts! The Somali "elder" that wrote them was distorting the facts..

Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM

163 posts, read 295,394 times
I've not lived in Maine for many years, but have been reading about the Somali influx in Lewiston from the beginning. Sounds like the overall situation is improving. I really don't put much stock in an article loaded with statistics. I took two semesters of statistics in college. What I learned was that those who use statistics to prove a point usually don't give enough information to give a totally objective viewpoint. Just sayin'.

Regarding # 10. I thought the reason they moved to Maine from wherever was primarily due to the state's liberal welfare benefits and the simplicity to obtain such compared with other states.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Most of it is Liberal Propganda. The article referenced was in the paper here quite a while ago and some of those "myths" were found to be facts! The Somali "elder" that wrote them was distorting the facts..
Well, the essay in the linked blog post seemed well researched and reasoned.

You can go on and on about what you THINK to be true, but until you have YOUR own statistics/sources to back up YOUR claims, I think the facts cited in that essay speak for themselves, regardless of who wrote them.

I'd like to at least see a source from you where those myths were proven as fact.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

You can go on and on about what you THINK to be true, but until you have YOUR own statistics/sources to back up YOUR claims, I think the facts cited in that essay speak for themselves, regardless of who wrote them.

I'd like to at least see a source from you where those myths were proven as fact.
Flycessna LIVES there and sees what is going on daily. I think he's more than qualified to speak on the subject.
Which part of Lewiston are you from?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Flycessna LIVES there and sees what is going on daily. I think he's more than qualified to speak on the subject.
Which part of Lewiston are you from?
I don't care where Flycessna lives...it is irrevelant. I lived in Portland for a number of years, but that does not automatically make me an expert on Somalis in Portland. Similarly, Flycessna living in Lewiston does not make him an expert in Somalis in Lewiston, neccessarily.

Flycessna states some of those myths were proven as fact and I asked him for his source.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

Well I certainly didn't feel I went on and on about anything. I called the article a bunch of Liberal Propaganda because that is what it is. I certainly do not owe it to you to gather a bunch of statistical data for which you would ignore anyways!

But you really do not need to go any further then the article itself!

Myth #1: Somalis are draining the welfare coffers

Lets save Myth 1 for last as it has most of the statistical data and is probably the most heated topic .

Myth #2: Somalis don’t want to work

Myth 2 comes close to an issue but whether Somali’s “want” to work is not the issue. The question is whether or not Somali’s “have” to work. It is clear that they didn’t immigrate here for employment opportunities and because of our generous welfare they do not have to work. The writer failed miserably to even defend the myth that Somali’s don’t want to work and provided no evidence that they do.. But again I do not feel that is the real issue. I doubt that more then 5% of the Somali population is actually working and supporting themselves and their families! So if you have statistical data to prove ME WORNG… PLEASE DO!

Myth #3: Somalis don’t want to learn English.

Myth #5: Somalis get free apartments

Myth #6: Somalis get free cars.

These examples are not about distorting any myths?? They create them. These discredit anyone who has something to say against immigration or against the Somali immigration in Lewiston by making them look stupid.

I have contact with MANY people; Teachers, Police officers, and small business owners and many others. ALL of whom are or have been concerned about the Somali Immigration and NONE of them would ever assume that Somali's receive free cars or free apartments or ANY special treatment.

When it comes to English the only issue I have heard of is wether or not they chose to use it. Like when police are conducting an investigation??

Myth #4: Somalis don’t want to become citizens.

While the writer does not give specific evidence or numbers I think he gives credible argument that many Somali’s do want to become Citizens. But this is a weak myth in that what is the relevency.. wether or not they are actually citizens they camer here not for work but because of a generous welefare system!

Myth #7: Somalis keep live chickens in their kitchen cupboards.

Another bogus Myth that has no relevancy accept to make us look like ignorant bigots As a landlord I have never heard this rumor outside of a joke that had nothing to do with Somali's

Myth #8: Somalis are responsible for a rise in crime

For the record I do not view the Somali community as crime ridden or culturally problematic when it comes to crime. But the writer refers to district court stats and does not consider juvenile crime or even calls for service. All of which have an impact on the community. For those that know me know I was in Law enforcement in Lewiston and I am close to the Police in the area and certainly calls for service and the nature of their work have changed. Just last year there were reported multiple incidents involving Somali juveniles harassing, assaulting, and robbing elderly citizens all of which were non Somali. And even I am afraid to write this but for those who are really interested DM me and I will tell you about the problems sears security was having with the Somali Juvenile’s.

Myth #9: Somalis don’t integrate and don’t want to be part of the community.

Again the myth is off topic?? I think anyone would want to be part of a community and be accepted. However the challenge lay in assimilation. Do the Somali’s want to Assimilate? Do the Somali’s want to be a part of OUR community? I think what we see is many Somali’s actively participating to advance their own culture and community but not really assimilating.

Myth #10: Somalis got a free ride to America.

Are we talking about the free bus ride thing?? I think if you consider many of them who were on government assistance to begin with in Atlanta and used what ever money they had to come here and live on government assistance then yes it was a free ride?? We see here the entitlement mentality when the writer asserts that it was their own money and their own desire to relocate here but the truth is they came here without jobs.. Hey Id like to go live in…. Hawaii.... but I am not about to just pack up my family and move there without any way of providing for myself and my family!

Myth #1: Somalis are draining the welfare coffers.

Fact: In 2008-9, refugees accounted for 15.76% of the General Assistance budget for the city of Lewiston. In 2009, noncitizens (who are mostly refugees) received 6.8% of TANF expenditures in Lewiston/Auburn, and 5.4% of TANF expenditures in Androscoggin County. In 2009, noncitizens accounted for 3% of the food stamp budget in Lewiston/Auburn and 2.1% of the food stamp budget for Androscoggin County. The percentage of funds going to noncitizens has been steadily dropping in all these areas. Most Somalis are not on welfare. Most adult Somalis have a job and pay taxes

So here we go! Myth number 1.

Once again we see the writer choosing to avoid the bigger question. I will first suggest the issue is that the Somali immigration has been a drain on the community!

But just for fun lets take a look at what the write has to say about being a drain on welfare. The notion that 15% of general assistance that is being handed out to "noncitizens" is not a lot of money or a drain. Do me a favor and take you mortgage and increase it by 15% and then tell me it is not affecting your budget. That is a real subjective argument!

The writer tries to make an argument that Somali’s want to be citizens but decides to leave them out when he talking about general assistance. Strange how all of a sudden we are just looking at “noncitizens”.. how much general assistance is going to Somali citizens??

The real question is always has been why did they come here?? And are those reasons justifiable. We can all appreciate that they want a safe community to raise their children and appreciate that they chose Maine. But they didn’t come here for work. This is a poor state and Lewiston is a poor community. They have been a huge drain on our community. From just what the article will admit we are talking about 1000 Somali’s in our schools along with 15% of our general assistance budget being handed over to noncitizens.

If the writer was really concerned with raising the image of the Somali people he could have just done that by gather full and complete data on how they have impacted the city of Lewiston.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Like flycessna, I too live in Lewiston (born and raised here), and fully support everything he has said in the above post.
I may not be a certified "expert" but I live here and have seen some of the effects with my own eyes.
and as for the Somali's being just like any other immigrant group, this is flat out false. Every other immigrant group that came here came because of the prospect of work.

bill

Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Myth #7: Somalis keep live chickens in their kitchen cupboards.

Fact: In hundreds of home visits we have never seen a live chicken in the cupboard.

I don't know which is funnier and more absurd:

That cabinet chickens are even a reliable rumor, or that we're expected to believe "hundreds" of homes were visited to look for chickens.

"Good evening, ma'am. I need to come in to check your cabinets for chickens."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine