Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Can you imagine catching one of those suckers bare handed? Ouch!
Those quills are incredibly sharp.

I once put a few in a paper bag to use for fishing floats on the way to a lake (their small diameter makes them less resistant to being pulled under, and so less likely to spook a fish nibbling at the bait).

I couldn't go five steps without the quills poking holes in the bag from just their own weight (and they're not very heavy!) and falling to the ground.

I finally had to roll them up in the bag and carry them in my fist.

Amazing--like when those people who, even though cautioned how sharp a shark's tooth is, will still cut themselves when a shark's tooth is then placed in their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times
This is what I saw in my back yard this morning!-

Seven Shire horses, belonging to a friend who is on her way to Maine.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,645 times
If you have ever tried to remove quills from a dogs mouth you quickly learn that they have small barbs like a fish hook which makes them very hard to remove.

IMHO I thought your animal could be a couple of things until you mentioned it was 3 feet long.....not aware of anything that big. BTW a black bear can be brown or dark cinnamon color.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
This is what I saw in my back yard this morning!-

Seven Shire horses, belonging to a friend who is on her way to Maine.
Now that's a beautiful sight!

Better than a porcupine for sure........................

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
If you have ever tried to remove quills from a dogs mouth you quickly learn that they have small barbs like a fish hook which makes them very hard to remove.

IMHO I thought your animal could be a couple of things until you mentioned it was 3 feet long.....not aware of anything that big. BTW a black bear can be brown or dark cinnamon color.
Agreed. My FIL shot a cinnamon black bear last year. They usually get that way when they are older. The cubs are usually very black. They're still black bear no matter what color they are. Brown bear are a different species and there are no brown bear in Maine.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Now that's a beautiful sight!

Better than a porcupine for sure........................
Only when they stay IN the electric fence... We have already had one "round up" this morning. Not sure what/who took out the electric fence, but they did a number on it.. half of it was down and the breaker going took out half the house electric... which of course we didn't notice right away, as we were busy fixing fence and catching horses. They didn't get far... a brief visit to the neighbor's place, then they were lured back with hay, grain and a couple agreed to be led.

I never had THAT much trouble with ol' porkypine... but then we never had a really dumb dog, either. (one got a couple once, but they were barely in and I got them out no hassle... ) I do hope they stay away from this herd, though...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Only when they stay IN the electric fence... We have already had one "round up" this morning. Not sure what/who took out the electric fence, but they did a number on it.. half of it was down and the breaker going took out half the house electric... which of course we didn't notice right away, as we were busy fixing fence and catching horses. They didn't get far... a brief visit to the neighbor's place, then they were lured back with hay, grain and a couple agreed to be led.

I never had THAT much trouble with ol' porkypine... but then we never had a really dumb dog, either. (one got a couple once, but they were barely in and I got them out no hassle... ) I do hope they stay away from this herd, though...
Never woke up to your dog like this?

snopes.com: Dog vs. Porcupine
Attached Thumbnails
What animal did I just see in my yard?-dogporc2_small.jpg  

Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM

66 posts, read 176,197 times
I saw that dog picture... scary. I read that the barbs inch their way deeper into the flesh once they are in too. And if the needle breaks off in the skin it can move into the body stabbing organs. So glad that the dog did not meet up with this thing.

I read that they can get up to 3.5 feet. The tail was quite big and it was definitely older. The fur was deceiving in that it really hid the quills... but I could see lighter "hairs" poking through the dark straggly fur.

Kind of looked like this but more all over dark and really messy... now picture this 3 feet long and FAT hobbling passed me! Scary beast! The next morning... looking around the yard... it looks like it was munching on all the light colored mushrooms in the yard. I have a few different kinds of mushrooms but only one was chewed up.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Last fall our older dog come home with quills in her lips, gums and up inside her sinuses. That was fun.

I have seen a lot of fishers [anywhere else we have lived they were called wharf-rats], beaver, and skunk here.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,630,984 times
any wolverines up there? I wouldn't think they'd be in town for sure even if they do occur in Maine. One map I found did show their range occurring into Maine but wondering if they are really there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine