Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

I live in New York city and am about to move to Maine. I am looking for as much info as possible. I was thinking about Portland or Freeport. Wanted to get some feedback from people that live in this beautiful state. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
You will be very close to Massachusetts. You might be better off to check the Portland, Maine page.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You will be very close to Massachusetts. You might be better off to check the Portland, Maine page.
Don't listen to NMLM he hasn't been south of Bangor in 40 years!!!! In Portland or Freeport you will be TWO hours NORTH of Boston. Hardly Massachusetts. You will find yourself in the best that Maine has to offer. The best and highest rated schools in Maine , the best hospitals, the best stores, arguably the prettiest coastline with Portland Head Light being the most photographed lighthouse in the world! The best oppurtunity for employment in Maine, the best collection of restaurants north of New York City (from the New York Times no less). The only sand beaches in Maine (unless you count Sand beach in Acadia where you could throw a Frisbee from one end to the other) The culture of the Portland Museum of Art, the Ogunquit Playhouse (which draws nationally known actors each summer) The Maine State Music Theatre in Brunswick,
countless fairs and festivals, the 365 islands of Casco Bay, lobster, clams, and whoopie pies! We also have great agricultural fairs as well. Cumberland Fair is one of the best in Maine! The Portland area has everything you'd be looking for in Maine. There are other very beautiful places in Maine to be sure. Though for my money you can't beat Southern Maine for having it all!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:16 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Don't listen to NMLM he hasn't been south of Bangor in 40 years!!!! In Portland or Freeport you will be TWO hours NORTH of Boston. Hardly Massachusetts. You will find yourself in the best that Maine has to offer. The best and highest rated schools in Maine , the best hospitals, the best stores, arguably the prettiest coastline with Portland Head Light being the most photographed lighthouse in the world! The best oppurtunity for employment in Maine, the best collection of restaurants north of New York City (from the New York Times no less). The only sand beaches in Maine (unless you count Sand beach in Acadia where you could throw a Frisbee from one end to the other) The culture of the Portland Museum of Art, the Ogunquit Playhouse (which draws nationally known actors each summer) The Maine State Music Theatre in Brunswick,
countless fairs and festivals, the 365 islands of Casco Bay, lobster, clams, and whoopie pies! We also have great agricultural fairs as well. Cumberland Fair is one of the best in Maine! The Portland area has everything you'd be looking for in Maine. There are other very beautiful places in Maine to be sure. Though for my money you can't beat Southern Maine for having it all!
Yup, All our money goes to Portland. According to Augusta there is nothing worthy past there. Maybe if they spent a bit more infrastrructure money on other places we'd have more than artist and galleries up this way. Nah.

Portland does have quite a bit and a small city flare to boot. The rest of the state has almost always been jealous of them.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Portland does have quite a bit and a small city flare to boot. The rest of the state has almost always been jealous of them.
If we thought there was something to be jealous of we'd live there. Some might be jealous but we collectively are not.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Yeah, I guess jealous is the wrong word. Can't think of the right one. PO'd that we can't get Route 1 fixed to a passable condition up here but not jealous. You're right.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:30 AM

We were disgusted that part of Rt 1 going to Lubec was rougher than the dirt roads (honestly) out here. Imagine what the tourists think.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:41 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If we thought there was something to be jealous of we'd live there. Some might be jealous but we collectively are not.
I'm not much for cities but I like Portland, it's a nice place to visit once in a while. I don't like to live in a city but (obviously) many people do. For those who like city life, Portland is a good city. Some people may make much ado about crime there, but having worked the seamy underside of Boston for quite a few years I'd say that Portland is far and away a better place.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm not much for cities but I like Portland, it's a nice place to visit once in a while. I don't like to live in a city but (obviously) many people do. For those who like city life, Portland is a good city. Some people may make much ado about crime there, but having worked the seamy underside of Boston for quite a few years I'd say that Portland is far and away a better place.
I'm not in Portland often but when I am, I enjoy it. The line at the exit to Hartford and NYC was two miles long Friday afternoon. Portland has a huge advantage over cities like that - based on what little personal experience I have, there aren't so many people that you have to wait an hour to get off the pike and it's not so crowded that you're bumping into people.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM

625 posts, read 791,966 times
The ONLY thing good in Portland ( or maybe I should say the only reason I go there) is Cablellas and the ethnic stores. I love oriental food and there are some great shops there to stock up on supplies like baby bok choy and spices. Portland is fine for those who like the more city type life. IMHO and this is MY OPINION that is not Maine. Maine is home. Growing up all over the world no matter where we lived we came home ot Prospect harbor Maine. We woudl land in Bangor I remember having to wait for the stairs to be brought to the plane there then the drive to Prospect Harbor. When you got close you where overtaken by the smell of the ocean ( the ocean here is not the same as in other places. I have smelled every ocean and many bodies of water but Home smells different ) then up the driveway to the house. As soon as we got out of the car life slowed down calm overtook you and just breathing the air relaxed you. At night you can see the stars like no city can you can hear the quiet of night with the stirring of the passing animal. No constant car noises no airplanes no dogs form the 40 neighbors no people fighting at 2 am 3 houses down ( cause three houses down was about a mile LOL) and just a felling of the way life should be. This my friend is my Maine. I have said it many times that I truly believe there are two Maine's the one south of Bangor and the real one north of Bangor. I am not trying to disparage the northern part of Mass ( what we call south of Bangor) but they are very different. Anybody who takes the time to look will see the difference. IF you like crowds long lines and traffic then more power to you. But having lived in big city's IE DC suburbs I can tell you I woudl rather live here poor then there rich. But again IMHO living here makes me rich. I can go in my yard 24/7 and run around neeked if want. If I want I can go out shooting anytime of day. Or I can simply sit here typing looking out the sliding glass doors at a view that most only see on a postcard. But as I said this is my Maine I would trade it for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine