Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 24,758 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to echo hd74man's post. Your top three is spot on. The health insurance costs astonished me when I moved to ME last year. It was difficult to find reliable information on that beforehand, and it hit me like a flying wheelchair (motorized, of course). The family budget was severely undermined when I had to cross out $450 per month ('conservative,' I thought, unsuspecting lamb-to-the-slaughter that I was) and replace it with $1,000 per month.

I do not understand why a state legislature would not notice that something is terribly wrong when only one insurance provider is able to operate in the state. The US is not Canada. In Canada there is nowhere to run; national healthcare exists for everyone (for better or worse) and to a large extent it is centrally funded. However, when Maine decides to stumble down a similar path, but then requires its taxpayers and businesses to shoulder what is a disproportionately large part of the burden, there is, in fact, somewhere else to go (49 other somewheres).

Residents and businesses (in particular businesses) should (and do) run screaming from the economic fiasco that exists in Maine. It is a state for the very rich, to whom expenses like healthcare insurance are irrelevant, and for the poor, for whom a smorgasbord of programs and treatments is laid on gratis. As I noted in another post, I have never come across so many social workers and occupational therapists in one place.

Incidentally, I would guess that keeping out big-box retail (Mark S.'s post) would probably receive serious consideration in Augusta because it fits perfectly into the apparent legislative strategy to completely destroy any embers of economic activity that may yet persist in the state. From my experience, the idea is yet another result of a common affliction regarding Maine: the romantic vision of a society that is about forty or fifty years behind the rest of the country, resolutely clinging to the old (and therefore, of course, better) way of doing things. Actually, if it weren't for Wal-mart, there would be even fewer people in Maine with a job. The government is not investing in "agriculture and industry that acutally produces something" because they are too busy inventing new taxes for the few entrepreneurs who are still there. (Research the poor people fool enough to found the Poland Spring bottled-water company for a good example of how the Maine legislature views its role with respect to state-based businesses.)

By the way, why is it that New Hampshire, with considerably less of the natural beauty and charm of Maine, manages to outstrip Maine in almost every area of achievement (notably the best place to live category)?

Maine would most likely be better off if it were annexed by Canada. I am only half-joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 PM

15 posts, read 66,159 times
Default Only one provider allowed?

I am finding the talk about health insurance a bit confusing. Because my husband and I will probably have to pay for our own. (he works from home) I am VERY concerned about it.

If a family is purchasing their own insurance, do they really only have one company that is allowed to operate in Maine? That really seems like a monopoly for that company. If that is the case, then do the companies that provide their employees with insurance also have to use the same company?

If I misunderstood, then sorry. I am exploring all expenses that we will encounter when we relocate and trying to pick the best place for us. Maine is a state high on my list, but I don't want to be scratching for every penny to pay the bills. Been there, doing that, tired of it.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 AM

6 posts, read 24,758 times
As far as I know, Anthem is the only company that provides the state-mandated Dirigo Health coverage. I would think other companies provide other forms of health insurance but Maine requires a larger set of mandates--services and coverage that must by law be provided--than (to my knowledge) most other states. As a result the insurance companies charge higher premiums or they stay away from the state because they can't make their usual profits. Either way the resident loses.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:35 PM

26 posts, read 180,883 times
Just thought I would toss in a couple quick comments after a late night review( and no doubt I've missed some of the details..lol)......as of a week or so ago i believe, preliminary approvals were granted in Bangor for a super Walmart, not far from the existing WalMart and SAMS club already operating there. One has to wonder what will happen to the massive buildings that will be left empty in the wake of the approval...sighhh.
With regard to health insurance...a comment I can relay only as a third party regarding Dirigo.......'its better than none at all'. That being said....there are indeed other choices, none of them necessarily terrific. One can only hope that we manage to squeeze a few honest, hard working people into the legislative body..and keep them there long enough to do the state some good. (I know, that surely brought howls of laughter from even the dust bunnies )

and because i just saw it.....lol;.we actually have 25 walmarts...good heavens!

Last edited by skyesmom40; 08-24-2006 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: additonal thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine