Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,729,705 times

Advertisements

Bye Bye Earl!!! We ARE prepared for the next one RIGHT!!!!!

Have a good Labor Day Weekend Everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM

566 posts, read 1,421,451 times
It never hurts to be prepared. We all remember the ice storm don't we? Nobody here has "their panties in a wad", people are just trying to be helpful. I personally went 14 days with no electricity during that ice storm...(the one that I laughed about because it would never happen to us). I now always know where flash lights, extra batteries, candles, bottled water, medicines, pet food and canned foods are in case I need them. Chances are I will never have that happen again but you never know.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
I honestly don't see anywhere that anyone's got their "panties in a wad". People are more just saying to BE READY in all situations and this was a good situation as a reminder of why to always be ready, especially considering Maine is a lot different then many other states with how rural some people live and they very well may be losing power for a bit of time and you just never know how long. So... be ready. I know if it rains heavy, I lose power very often because of how rural I am and we have a 2nd'ary company bringing us our power which we do lose often. Now add into that even 15-20mph winds and heavy rain and I can almost count on no power. No biggie... IF your ready. I've boiled snow to flush toilets when needed, and will fill the bathtub before bed although of course we all hope we don't need to use the water we prepared, but will be glad we prepared it if needed.
Nice post... but you don't have to boil the water for flushing the toilet!! Any water is good! The septic system doesn't care if the water is sterile!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM

264 posts, read 761,338 times
LOL, yeah I know I didn't have to boil it for that... but I'd just scoop it up in the pot and toss it on the stove to more so melt it and then was using it to wash dishes and flush. I saved my emergency drinking water for cooking/drinking and also saved my leftover cooking water to add to the wash dishes water etc.

This was before we even lived here for good. We came up in winter to check on our house and just get some stuff done and ended up with no power for half a day and even when it came back, we had no water due to a pressure gauge breaking. So we then spent the next 3 days with no running water until leaving. We made due though. Luckily we had storage here to be prepared even before it was our permanent residence though.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,592,499 times
What a nice summer storm we're having at the moment. I have the feeling that, for the most part, from Westport to Eastport, people are so wound up they will get out big time in the next couple of days for some end of the season fun.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 AM

48,312 posts, read 22,073,039 times
Blessed Rain.....the earth is replenished and refreshed....Blessed Rain.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,567,971 times
Mainebrokerman - I have never been without a hibacci and when mine rusted out after many years of use I found another exactly like it on line. It is so great - cast iron - It was well worth the $42 shipping included. There usually are just my husband and I that barbeque so it works great.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,567,971 times
Right now - Saturday morning at 8:30 we are getting a nice rain with a gentle breeze and hubby tells me he saw on TV that the sun is already out at Old Orchard. I guess Labor Day weekend won't be a total washout for the fairs at Blue Hill and Windsor and the Windjammer thing in Camden will just be a day later.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM

The Sun is out in South Coastal Maine! No wind here to speak of. A couple of inches of much needed rain. A COOL breeze out of the north and things are drying out already. Hope Downeast fared well too.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,913,837 times
Maine has been very fortunate not to have experienced the kind of devastation (at least in my lifetime) that resulted from a hurricane such as Hugo, Andrew, or Katrina. I believe it was 1959 when a hurricane came through and took out part of our chimney on our house in Ellsworth. Losing a chimney or power for a few days is minor in comparison. Is anyone headed out to the Blue Hill Fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine