Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM

581 posts, read 714,888 times

Advertisements

August 6, 2007

[SIZE=3]Maine’s GDP growth among slowest[/SIZE]
Maine’s Gross Domestic Product increased only 1.9% from 2005 to 2006, according to the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis.
The inflation-adjusted rate is slower than all but nine states in the country, and lower than the national growth rate of 3.4% and the New England rate of 2.5%, according to the Portland Press Herald.
The Bureau found that Maine’s strongest industry segments -- agriculture, forestry and fishing -- grew 14.7% last year, reflecting what the paper calls an “old” economy dependent on natural resources rather than higher-wage technology and innovation sectors.
source: Mainebiz Daily=

I suspect some people would point out that trends like this are what keep Maine beautiful, etc. And they're probably right!

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 08-09-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
... Maine’s Gross Domestic Product increased only 1.9% from 2005 to 2006, according to the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis.
So our economy is growing.

Quote:
... The inflation-adjusted rate is slower than all but nine states in the country,
So this 'growth' is inflation-adjusted which kind of means that the growth is even more than they are saying.

And yet there are nine other states whose 'growth' is less than ours, or perhaps they did not grow [after you subtract inflation-adjustments]

Quote:
... The Bureau found that Maine’s strongest industry segments -- agriculture, forestry and fishing -- grew 14.7% last year, reflecting what the paper calls an “old” economy dependent on natural resources rather than higher-wage technology and innovation sectors.
Perhaps I am looking at this wrong.

If a region has segments of it's economy that grew 14.7%, than those segments are the predominate growth industries.

Whether they are 'old' or 'new and sexy', if that is what grew, then why should we talk it down and try to hide it?

In my ignorance I would have assumed that the predominate 'growth industry' would have been tourism.

Whereas "agriculture, forestry and fishing" grew so much [14.7%];
and whereas the total growth was only 1.9%;
then I would imagine that all other industries must have shrunk [since they brought the total growth down so much];
and I would think that since we do have three industries that are experiencing such wonderful growth we should be capitalising on that growth and celebrating it!

Quote:
... I suspect some people would point out that trends like this are what keep Maine beautiful, etc. And they're probably right!
I agree.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 AM

"Whereas "agriculture, forestry and fishing" grew so much [14.7%];"

It does make you wonder: was it potatoes, trees, or lobsters that performed so spectacularly? I'll watch for further details.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM

I do understand that colleges and the media want to focus on more sexy and exciting careerfields [ high tech, computer based ].

The article you quoted is written from the viewpoint of how terrible it is be reliant on older industries.

And it even draws a contrast between natural resource industries and 'innovation'. Which is not fair either.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do understand that colleges and the media want to focus on more sexy and exciting careerfields [ high tech, computer based ].

The article you quoted is written from the viewpoint of how terrible it is be reliant on older industries.

And it even draws a contrast between natural resource industries and 'innovation'. Which is not fair either.
DH was in the computer field for 10 years. He was outsourced right out of there and had to make a complete career change at age 31. The time will come when technology will all but run itself completely. BUT - we will always have to eat and build houses, and I'm not quite sure if technology will ever completely take over farming, fishing and lumber works. I think the "older industries" are still existent for a reason. Modern technology is outdated within a matter of months. Just a thought.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
DH was in the computer field for 10 years. He was outsourced right out of there and had to make a complete career change at age 31. The time will come when technology will all but run itself completely. BUT - we will always have to eat and build houses, and I'm not quite sure if technology will ever completely take over farming, fishing and lumber works. I think the "older industries" are still existent for a reason. Modern technology is outdated within a matter of months. Just a thought.
I do understand.

My training was primarily in main-frame computers used onboard submarines. Radar and inertial navigation systems.

My training was cutting edge high-tech at the time. However as the years went by, it became entirely obsolete. I am still offered employment in the Defense Contracting field, due to my experience, however it is working on systems considered dinosaurs.

Chasing the cutting edge of high-tech is a never ending race. And it is one that few walk away the winner. To die from stress is far more the norm in that industry.

Folks will always need food. Folks will always want to build stuff.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM

106 posts, read 454,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post

But while Portland was a particularly bright spot of Manpower's Maine survey, 69% of employers in the Augusta/Waterville market and 57% in Bangor expect to make no change in staffing levels this summer.

source: Mainebiz Daily

....And this is why I moved to southern Maine....LOVED living in Winterport but the job I held in Belfast was one in a million for that area....pay-wise that is...employer-wise is another story.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Good point, Forest. I too was a little surprised at the somewhat subjective comment in the report about the "old economy". I don't know if the science of economics has determined that a progression from "old" to "new" is the natural order of the universe, but the implication is there. Unfortunately we can't refute their insinuation by pointing to Maine's economy as "robust" or "vibrant", but maybe Maine should be satisfied with being a beautiful, unspoiled state with "enough economy to get us by".

Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 AM

Angry Study: Cost of doing business in Maine grows

Fri, 17 Aug 2007

[SIZE=2]Higher electricity costs last year made Maine jump 11 places in an annual cost-of-doing-business ranking released yesterday.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Maine leaped from the 28th most expensive in the U.S. to 17th, the biggest increase of any state, according to the MilkenInstitute.Org > Research > Indexes= from the Milken Institute in Los Angeles. Maine's electricity costs rose from six percent higher than the national average in 2006 to 43% above the national average, the study said.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The institute studied figures including wage costs, taxes and real estate prices to create the rankings. The least expensive place to do business was Arkansas, while the most expensive was Hawaii[/SIZE]

Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM

228 posts, read 221,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Fri, 17 Aug 2007

[SIZE=2]Higher electricity costs last year made Maine jump 11 places in an annual cost-of-doing-business ranking released yesterday.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Maine leaped from the 28th most expensive in the U.S. to 17th, the biggest increase of any state, according to the MilkenInstitute.Org > Research > Indexes= from the Milken Institute in Los Angeles. Maine's electricity costs rose from six percent higher than the national average in 2006 to 43% above the national average, the study said.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The institute studied figures including wage costs, taxes and real estate prices to create the rankings. The least expensive place to do business was Arkansas, while the most expensive was Hawaii[/SIZE]

From 6% to 43% !!!! Houston we have a problem!!!I remember about 5 year's ago we use to pay $120.00 a year for our city sewer bill. Then the water company decided to combine our water bill and sewer bill to both be changed to monthly billing combined on one bill. 5 year's ago my water bill was $30.00 every 3 month. So per year then I was paying app.$240.00 for total of both my sewer and water.My last water bill was just a little over $100.00 now I am paying $400.00 a year maybe small amount but what % is that!!! I've never been good with % SORRY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine