Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM

263 posts, read 626,524 times

Advertisements

What is the bug season in the Portland general area, any month worth then others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
What is the bug season in the Portland general area, any month worth then others?
Cities typically have a lower level of mosquitos and blackflies (they prefer water to breed, not concrete), and the coastal areas typically have a lower level than inland areas due to the ocean breezes- they have a hard time flying in a wind of more than a few mph. I wouldn't worry about them in Portland.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cities typically have a lower level of mosquitos and blackflies (they prefer water to breed, not concrete), and the coastal areas typically have a lower level than inland areas due to the ocean breezes- they have a hard time flying in a wind of more than a few mph. I wouldn't worry about them in Portland.
I don't know about that. Deering Oaks Pond is a mosquito breeding ground! There were plenty of mosquitoes at the night Sea Dogs games we attended this summer!
Midges are a really big problem at the shore in the early evening all along the coast. Portland is no exception. There have been a large number of green headed horse flies around the ocean this year. Those things take a big chunk when they bite. We've seen many more mosquitoes at our cottage on the water in S Freeport than we have at our house a few miles inland. Blackflies were gone quickly this year and have not had a second hatch.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM

263 posts, read 626,524 times
The reason I asked was this couple we know where in the Kennebunk region a couple of years ago in August, told us they could practicaly not get out of the car by the Water, it was so bad. I simply never encountered it like that ( we go down East) Lubec.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
The reason I asked was this couple we know where in the Kennebunk region a couple of years ago in August, told us they could practicaly not get out of the car by the Water, it was so bad. I simply never encountered it like that ( we go down East) Lubec.
It depends on the year. Over all there were a lot more biting flies last year due to the cool , wet summer. There are still plenty around but they are tolerable. I've only had to use bug dope a couple of times this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine