Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:42 PM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
... big town services. ... highway department ....
police department provides around the clock coverage. Modern fire stations and firefighting equipment ...
LOL

Some of those phrase caught me as funny.

First let me say, that I do not live there, and I have no idea if those things are true.

But having a road crew, a PD and a volunteer FD, are all it takes to be "Big Town" services? LOL

Then the PD is open 24 hours a day! This is in comparison to what? Is there another PD that turns off their phone at 5pm and goes out drinking? Aren't all PDs entrusted to respond 24 hours a day? Even if they only have one LEO, I bet he is on-call 24/7.

The FD has modern equipment. Okay, I think that today it is likely illegal to be using a horse-drawn pumper wagon. It would have to be using 'modern gear' to get their Federal subsidy. A volunteer FD can not be too modern however. Keep in mind that with no professionals around the neat toys will tend to all get broken very quickly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:30 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,685 times
Not all local PD's are open 24 hours a day. I live in what is called the Village of Kronenwetter. Our population recently went over the 5000 mark which mandated that we have a police department. Until recently our PD was only on duty for 2 shifts (16 hours). Our county Sheriffs Dept covered the other 8 hours. They would charge our village $84 for every call they made. It didn't take long for our village to hire another guy to cover the other 8 hours. Some small towns around here only have 1 officer on its staff. There again, the County has to cover the area. They have 24 hour coverage but not by the same department.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I have known LEOs who worked in areas where the dispatcher shut-down and it went to a regional dispatcher. If a response was going to take the county longer than 2 hours to respond they would call the 'off-duty' local to respond.

Here in our township, we have a sheriff deputy who drives through once a week and a game warden who comes through once a week; so we are fine

Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Richmond is a wonderful little town. Has a neat restaurant in the the middle of it (don't remember the name). Maine is a great place to live, if you have a job. Don't come up without a job or you will probably be disappointed no matter where you live.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
Forgot to mention the teaching situation in NC. Most of the school systems are based on county. There are 100 counties in the state. Salaries are determined by the state legislature and school systems decide whether or not to pay a bonus and how much that will be. I wouldn't recommend making a job decision based on going to the county that pays the biggest bonus--there must be a reason it's so high, right? Of course, there are budget cuts being proposed all around, but it only takes one open teaching position for your husband to be employed. The cost of living is pretty inexpensive compared to some areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine