Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Really?!!! What would they do to a homeowner who is painting and repairing their own home?

I've read that 35% of homes in Maine are built before 1940.......so that would mean a lot of lead paint, right? and lots of people are DIYers.
You can do anything you want to your own home on your own property. You can be an electrician or a plumber or whatever. If I lived in maine, and I will about next year at this time, I could even do any work on my rental property myself. The laws only pertain to people who are employed by someone else.

Zarathu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,229,124 times
Actually the EPA has extended the deadline to enroll in training to Sept. 30 and to complete training to Dec. 30, partially due to the efforts of Maine Senator Susan Collins. Apparently there are only three instructors in the entire state of Maine.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM

701 posts, read 1,084,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Well, the short answer would be that "DIYers" would just do it without permits - like since the dawn of time.
Good! That works for me........

Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times
I must agree that Maine has a lot of DIY'ers.

Most of Maine is fairly rural. Our township has around 250 people. A city of 10k people or more is pretty urban by our standards.

I know guys here who do carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, roofing, heating and cooling work. If you already had disability or a pension coming in, then doing handyman work will do you okay.

I knew one friend who moved to Maine from Texas, a General Contractor with a license. None of the rest of the handymen I know have licenses. The General Contractor ended up had to go back to Texas after 2 years here. He found the cost-of-living here is much lower than Texas, but so are the earnings.

In Bangor the Job Corp facility teaches 'Facility Maintenance' as one of their courses. It includes carpentry, painting, grounds-keeping, electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling, and roofing. I think it is a one-year program. They train about 30 students a year in that course. [both of our sons looked at their program]. I think they keep it so there is no shortage of handymen in the Flat-lands of Central Maine.

Good luck

Old 06-24-2010, 03:37 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You can do anything you want to your own home on your own property. You can be an electrician or a plumber or whatever. If I lived in maine, and I will about next year at this time, I could even do any work on my rental property myself. The laws only pertain to people who are employed by someone else.

Zarathu
I wonder what happens if someone wants to buy a property that has a history of its owner doing all kinds of work on it--electrical, plumbing, structural carpentry--that the owner is not qualified to do?

Another good reason to have a house inspected before you buy it.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,070 times
You can always say the painter is helping you. They have a hard time proving he is not.

A house inspection is necessary these days. I didn't have one, and while there aren't any major problems, it would have eliminated some work for me after the fact.

A general contractor in Maine would have a tough row to hoe unless he is in southern Maine, where a lot of people are not DIY'ers.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,893,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post

Zarathu
Actually according to State law you cannot do your own plumbing on rental property. Has to be a licensed plumber. You can do minor plumbing maintenance but nothing requiring a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine