Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:31 PM

966 posts, read 2,459,888 times

Advertisements

Granted, it's a part-time job that I love, but if this keeps up for another month, I will be counted among the so-called "overqualified" ranks of the downwardly-mobile who are on public assistance. What can I do? I have tried everything: the internet, beating the pavement, networking, phone calling for openings, etc.. I am feeling down today and scared. Between the economic downturn and various forms of job discrimination (racism, ageism, healthism, outsiderism, who knows...), I am truly looking at having to apply for "food stamps" or going to a food pantry--for the first time ever in my life. I have three degrees and a love of teaching that surpasses all that any job could entail, and yet only one employer will give me a chance. What gives? What can I do?

If things don't work out by December for me here in Madison, I have contracted to return to my job in NYC. I'm on a leave of absence that so far feels like a total economic failure--and accidental career suicide. I've met some great people in Madison, who seem to like me a lot too; but I have to work. I have to pay my rent and my bills. Besides, for me work is about more than just having a job or making money. As an educator, my work is about making a meaningful contribution to the community. I'm not used to being treated as if I have nothing to offer. This is admittedly doing a number on my self-esteem on the job front.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,320,187 times
I wouldn't have recommended moving anywhere in the US without employment lined up. I live in a state that's in much better shape employment-wise than Wisconsin and no one on the forums here in Texas is encouraging folks to move here without a job. Jobs are scarce in the best markets in the country. I think you may have moved to what seemed like the perfect place at the worst possible time. You're lucky that you have an escape plan.

Your time in Madison may not be a total loss if you have to move back. Now that you have a network of folks there who know you, they can keep you in mind and let you know when they hear of job opportunities.

When I moved to Madison in the 90s as a trailing spouse with a Masters degree, it took me 9 months to land a full-time job. That was also in a recession, but one that was less deep than the current one.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,359,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Granted, it's a part-time job that I love, but if this keeps up for another month, I will be counted among the so-called "overqualified" ranks of the downwardly-mobile who are on public assistance. What can I do? I have tried everything: the internet, beating the pavement, networking, phone calling for openings, etc.. I am feeling down today and scared. Between the economic downturn and various forms of job discrimination (racism, ageism, healthism, outsiderism, who knows...), I am truly looking at having to apply for "food stamps" or going to a food pantry--for the first time ever in my life. I have three degrees and a love of teaching that surpasses all that any job could entail, and yet only one employer will give me a chance. What gives? What can I do?

If things don't work out by December for me here in Madison, I have contracted to return to my job in NYC. I'm on a leave of absence that so far feels like a total economic failure--and accidental career suicide. I've met some great people in Madison, who seem to like me a lot too; but I have to work. I have to pay my rent and my bills. Besides, for me work is about more than just having a job or making money. As an educator, my work is about making a meaningful contribution to the community. I'm not used to being treated as if I have nothing to offer. This is admittedly doing a number on my self-esteem on the job front.

Advice?
These are not great times to go looking for jobs in Wisconsin, even in Madison, whose economy is relatively better than what you find in most of the rest of the midwest. Madison's biggest employers--the state, UW, the city, the schools--have very competitive hiring to begin with, and current economic conditions have only made things worse.

What kind of educator are you? Perhaps you could try volunteering or part-timing in your field with hopes of building your resume and working yourself into a full-time job or career network?

Perhaps try tutoring (on your own or through an agency)? You could build your own business that way. Or perhaps try teaching SAT/GRE/etc. prep at Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.? It may be tough getting even those jobs, though, as educators and people with degrees in Madison are in abundance. And this includes grad students, lecturers, and teaching aides who already have full- or part-time jobs and wish to supplement their incomes. All of those people have ready-made networks at their main place of employment.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I wouldn't have recommended moving anywhere in the US without employment lined up. I live in a state that's in much better shape employment-wise than Wisconsin and no one on the forums here in Texas is encouraging folks to move here without a job. Jobs are scarce in the best markets in the country. I think you may have moved to what seemed like the perfect place at the worst possible time. You're lucky that you have an escape plan.

Your time in Madison may not be a total loss if you have to move back. Now that you have a network of folks there who know you, they can keep you in mind and let you know when they hear of job opportunities.

When I moved to Madison in the 90s as a trailing spouse with a Masters degree, it took me 9 months to land a full-time job. That was also in a recession, but one that was less deep than the current one.
Thanks Bowie. You nailed it. A great city during difficult times. I like your balanced perspective. Helps a lot.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
These are not great times to go looking for jobs in Wisconsin, even in Madison, whose economy is relatively better than what you find in most of the rest of the midwest. Madison's biggest employers--the state, UW, the city, the schools--have very competitive hiring to begin with, and current economic conditions have only made things worse.

What kind of educator are you? Perhaps you could try volunteering or part-timing in your field with hopes of building your resume and working yourself into a full-time job or career network?

Perhaps try tutoring (on your own or through an agency)? You could build your own business that way. Or perhaps try teaching SAT/GRE/etc. prep at Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.? It may be tough getting even those jobs, though, as educators and people with degrees in Madison are in abundance. And this includes grad students, lecturers, and teaching aides who already have full- or part-time jobs and wish to supplement their incomes. All of those people have ready-made networks at their main place of employment.
Thank you so much. I have been teaching courses in English and the Humanities for about ten years altogether, but I have also taught at the grade school level--years ago in Madison.

The thought of tutoring has crossed my mind now and again. Maybe it is worth exploring. I have tutored before, with excellent results. I wouldn't even begin to know how to advertise my services. Now would be a good time to learn.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,024,722 times
Default By the way..

Quote:
Thank you so much. I have been teaching courses in English and the Humanities for about ten years altogether, but I have also taught at the grade school level--years ago in Madison.

The thought of tutoring has crossed my mind now and again. Maybe it is worth exploring. I have tutored before, with excellent results. I wouldn't even begin to know how to advertise my services. Now would be a good time to learn.
..ARE you certified to teach, or did you teach in parochial schools?

I get the impression that you would prefer to stay in Madison, if at all possible. Aside from the usual suspects ( waiting on tables, etc), have you considered working at one of the local hospitals? Perhaps the UW Hospital/Clinics, or Meriter, or St. Mary's might have something suitable.

I'm also assuming that you have tried all the local suburban communities ( Middleton, etc) around Madison, but perhaps not..

Madison's a very pleasant place. I'm hopeful that you'll find something suitable in the very near future..

Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,427,628 times
Try these people:

The Wisconsin Institute for Learning Disabilities/Dyslexia (WILDD)

Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM

3,255 posts, read 6,370,924 times
Quote:
I suggest Craigslist under "lessons"

madison lessons & tutoring - craigslist

Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks, MassVt and Megan1967. I will keep all this in mind. I will persevere.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I suggest Craigslist under "lessons"

madison lessons & tutoring - craigslist
Ah ha! Ok. Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison