Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,824 times

Advertisements

What would you do if you wanted to bring in the New Year in Madison, Wisconsin--especially if you are not really into the bar scene? I am looking for alternatives. Here in New York City, for example, there are alternative New Years Eve and New Years Day celebrations: poetry readings, concerts, dancing, Buddhist world peace meditations, etc. I want to bring the New Year in with a bang and have a blast in honor of my commitment to moving to Madison--hopefully in May or in the summer. I have nothing against the whole drinking scene. I am a moderate/social drinker myself. I just don't want getting drunk to be the focus of my New Year's Eve celebration.

Any ideas? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Hmmmm. Good question. We're definitely not into the bar scene, and at our age (early 50's) we generally have a hard time staying awake much past about 10 pm anyway, so we usually toast the new year at Newfoundland's midnight and go to bed shortly thereafter. But I think there is a big sort of generic city celebration downtown on New Year's Eve, sponsored by one of the banks, that is family-friendly and in at least some years has included fireworks.

It sounds like you've got some great ideas to bring to Madison's New Year's Eve celebrations next year, Indi9 - if you don't find what you're looking for, I hope you'll start some new traditions!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,605 times
I think what you are referring to is FirstStar Eve (or now US Bank eve since the buy out).

Corporate Sponsorship

I've always wondered about it, but like you I rarely make it to midnight anymore.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks, y'all. I am really looking forward to being in Madison again. Happy, happy, happy... Probably will check out the US Bank eve. I was also hoping to find a restaurant for dinner, music, and dancing.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,236 times
Something we did a couple years on New Years, was to go to the comedy club "Funny Business" and then bar hop some afterwards. We aren't big drinkers either, but if there is a time to let loose, New Years is one of them. We took use of riding the bus to partake in the festivities.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Ah, yes, a comedy club. Brilliant! Thank you. I'm glad I posted this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: