Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 109,739 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Could you tell me if the lakes in Madison are clean to swim in? I read somewhere that they are not. Also, do people boat in them? We are trying to decide where to relocate our family and we really want to choose a place that has clean beaches. We have thought about Madison, Racine/Kenosha, & Milwaukee. Any suggestions would be great! We have 4 children and would love to find a family friendly, progressive thinking area.
Thank you,
Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 40,736 times
Hi Theresa,

Some people think that the lakes here are gross, some don't...Certain beaches are much cleaner and nicer than others (I like Tenney, BB Clarke and Vilas). I love to swim here in the summer...though it's certainly not going to be like swimming in a pristine clear lake in the north woods of Wisconsin. There are times when the beaches close for a week or so (usually near the beginning of July) due to algae blooms.

People definitely boat on the lakes here - especially Mendota. Madison is a terrific outdoors city, with tons of parks, waterfont, bike paths, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,143,281 times
Boating on the lakes is huge.

The smell and excessive algea growth and "seaweed" prevents people from swimming in them.

There are several beaches nonetheless, but I guarantee you that more Madison residents pay to be members of a swim club or gym before swimming in the local lakes.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 24,498 times
In terms of progressive thinking, Madison is at the top of your list and likes to brag about it.
Racine/Kenosha have a near 50/50 Dem/Repub voting record.
Madison is typically 2/3rds Democrats.
I can't remember a summer that didn't have beach closings on the two big lakes due to bacteria levels, and the boating traffic gets very busy on major holiday weekends.
For both of these reasons, we travel to Mt. Horeb to go to a little swimming hole that doesn't allow motor boat traffic.
Madison has one motor free lake named Wingra, does anyone else know about the cleanliness of that beach? The neighborhood of the same name is a great area to look for a house (if you can afford it).

Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 PM

25 posts, read 109,739 times
Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your replies. When I mention progressive I am not meaning liberal democrat. What I am wondering is if an area is forward thinking for lack of a better term, we are not wanting to move to hicksville. So we are wondering if anyone can tell us about the Racine/Kenosha area as well as Milwaukee. We can tell that Madison has a lot to offer (just wish the beaches were better) Our thinking is that it is quite an undertaking to move our family with 4 children and so we want to make sure that we make a really good decision on where to go. We are totally open to any suggestions, maybe there is an area that we haven't thought of that would be really nice for our family. Basically we want to be by a nice swimming/boating lake, a forward thinking area, good schools (our kids go to a Catholic school), family friendly, safe area. Once we find that place my husband is going to focus on getting a job in that area.
Again, we appreciate all of your time and thoughts A LOT!
Theresa

Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 AM

16 posts, read 24,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaKopp View Post
When I mention progressive I am not meaning liberal democrat.
Sorry for misinterpreting. I'm sure you've noticed that the term "progressive" has been politicized in the last decade. Hence I thought you were inquiring about politics. Coincidentally, the national magazine "The Progressive" is published on the near east side of Madison.
I've lived all over the nation and all over the world, and Madison is a rather progressive place in most meanings of that word, save for its lack of racial diversity.
I went to "Queen of Peace" Catholic school for eight years and loved every minute of it. The neighborhoods in walking distance to that school are some of the best in the city.
As for Milwaukee and Kenosha, there are usually some Milwaukeeans that browse this Madison forum, but you'll get a better response if you post your question in the Milwaukee forum.
I've been to Milwaukee hundreds of times, and the industrial feel that is requisite to any city that size has always been a deterrent for me.
I've been to the Kenosha area a few times, and its smaller size lacks some of the amenities that I've become addicted to here in Madison: e.g. four different organic grocers, several Himalayan restaurants, Community Pharmacy, and generally the vitality and pulse of a town with such a big university.
Madison's negatives:
The vinyl clad suburban sprawl and big box store explosion that has occurred around Madison's periphery is pushing us from being a big town to being a small city.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,401,344 times
Queen of Peace is supposed to be an excellent school. I grew up on Janesville and went to a parochial school. One of my favorite teachers moved up here and worked at Q of P, but she might be retired. Her name is Pat Tregoning. (was Mrs. Jacobsen when I knew her).

People love to bash Madison by saying it isn't as forward thinking as "it" thinks it is, but it is a very nice place to live and fairly tolerant of individual differences.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 AM

129 posts, read 557,361 times
A lot of people swim in the lakes in the summer, though they are usually closed for a week or two due to algae, as previously mentioned.

What no one has mentioned is two years ago the city built a huge, beautiful community pool/mini waterpark downtown. So when the lakes aren't clean enough (the beaches themselves are fine) you can always go to the pool.

I think the schools here are great. My family moved here from Denver when I was 12, and we were really happy with our experience in MMSD.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 PM

279 posts, read 761,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Taoist View Post
In terms of progressive thinking, Madison is at the top of your list and likes to brag about it.
Racine/Kenosha have a near 50/50 Dem/Repub voting record.
Madison is typically 2/3rds Democrats.
I can't remember a summer that didn't have beach closings on the two big lakes due to bacteria levels, and the boating traffic gets very busy on major holiday weekends.
For both of these reasons, we travel to Mt. Horeb to go to a little swimming hole that doesn't allow motor boat traffic.
Madison has one motor free lake named Wingra, does anyone else know about the cleanliness of that beach? The neighborhood of the same name is a great area to look for a house (if you can afford it).
unless it has changed recently i don't believe wingra is a motor free lake. it's also not very clean either, very similar to the other madison lakes. too many waterfowl end up crapping in the beach areas eventually forcing them to close.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,623,889 times
What lakes within an easy drive would you all suggest for that "pristine' nice swimmiing area, not so crowded as in the city itself >? Or are you keeping it secret ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison