Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,664,814 times

Advertisements

The Macon Telegraph will be moving operations to the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. This is definitely interesting news. In these hard economic times, it is amazing what some companies will do to save money. Will newspapers be a thing of the past in the coming years?

Quote:
Amid another round of belt-tightening, the Ledger-Enquirer and Macon Telegraph newspapers said Thursday that production work will be shifting from Macon, Ga., to Columbus in April.

The Ledger-Enquirer will print the Macon newspaper seven days a week.
The move will mean the layoff of 58 employees at the Telegraph, nearly 30 percent of the company’s work force, Telegraph Publisher George McCanless said in a Telegraph story Thursday.

At the same time, Ledger-Enquirer Publisher Valerie Canepa said the newspaper is preparing to make additional job and expense cuts because of a deteriorating financial outlook.

“We have got to make some pretty deep cuts again,” she said. “We’ve already had two rounds of buyouts and layoffs last year, and we will have another one.”

Canepa told employees that the newspaper’s underlying business is strong — with year-over-year single copy circulation growth. The newspaper actually sold more single copies through vendors and racks in 2008 than in 2007. Its most recent audit showed readership increasing by 9 percent daily and 12 percent Sunday.

“We don’t have a readership problem,” Canepa said. “We have a revenue problem.”

McCanless said the decision to move printing of the Telegraph to its sister paper in Columbus will amount to savings of more than $1 million annually.
“The economy is not improving,” McCanless told staff. “Our business is based on the economy doing well. Our revenues are down far more than we anticipated. ... We’ve got to make some changes to address this.”
The shift in pressroom and mailroom operations is expected to begin in April, Canepa said, with newspapers being printed in Columbus and then trucked two hours to the Macon and Warner Robins, Ga., areas for distribution.

“I’m very pleased that we’re going to be able to help Macon in this way,” Canepa said. “Our press can handle it, we have extra time on the press, we have a good crew, and we can do a good job for them.”

The publisher, who pegged the cost savings for the two papers at $1.5 million, said she anticipates the need to hire a “small number” of press operators and mailroom workers in Columbus to handle printing of the Telegraph and the Macon newspaper’s commercial contracts.
Those displaced in Macon will be offered any new jobs created here, Canepa said.

“We’d love to have them come over,” she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 AM

201 posts, read 541,305 times
The troll is back.......
Actually this is neither amazing or interesting.

Originally the Ledger was going to have their paper printed in Macon.
The Thrifty Nickel/Dynamic Dime has a higher readership...

Last edited by Columbusattorney; 02-07-2009 at 06:38 AM..

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM

726 posts, read 2,820,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post

Actually, I just realized that you're actually the yerocal guy. You got the name Columbusattorney and always gets mad when someone post about Macon. There's no way I'm going to hate a place as much as you hate Columbus, then you put the city's name in your screen name...Get real...this is 2009!!

Isn't hard to figure out!!!
Sorry I hate to burst your bubble but Yerocal and Columbusattorney are not the same and I DO NOT got Mad when someone post about, i just have to set things straight especially when someone posts a something about Macon that is False or misleading.......

Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,041,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Sorry I hate to burst your bubble but Yerocal and Columbusattorney are not the same and I DO NOT got Mad when someone post about, i just have to set things straight especially when someone posts a something...
"...that is of a different opinion than mine."

You try your best to change other peoples opinions, yet you do so in a very poor manner. (The 'I' needs to be capitalized and the 'Mad' need not be.)
Sooner or later you are going to realize that other people deserve their opinion as much as you deserve yours. I drove through Macon this afternoon and took some really good pictures of your fair city. I decided not to post them in the picture part of this forum because I did not want to deal with our differing opinions. But I got some great shots. I think they show the true Macon. Just a couple of dozen closed down businesses (boarded up, with burglar bars to boot) and some fine residential properties. Want me to share? I even captured some crime tape. No kidding.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
"...that is of a different opinion than mine."

You try your best to change other peoples opinions, yet you do so in a very poor manner. (The 'I' needs to be capitalized and the 'Mad' need not be.)
Sooner or later you are going to realize that other people deserve their opinion as much as you deserve yours. I drove through Macon this afternoon and took some really good pictures of your fair city. I decided not to post them in the picture part of this forum because I did not want to deal with our differing opinions. But I got some great shots. I think they show the true Macon. Just a couple of dozen closed down businesses (boarded up, with burglar bars to boot) and some fine residential properties. Want me to share? I even captured some crime tape. No kidding.
HAHAHaHaHA.............Just a couple of dozen closed down businesses (boarded up, with burglar bars to boot) Whats city doesn't in this economy? I bet you just drove took pics in the not good areas.....I would never use anything you have to show the true Macon, because you would make it your best to prove me wrong ....To show the truth about Macon you would have to visit the entire city.....

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM

970 posts, read 2,952,955 times
So will these folks move to Columbus, increasing the size of its MSA?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
I think so.............. Go COLUMBUS

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,664,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
I imagine some will move to Columbus to keep there jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon