Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 AM

909 posts, read 545,122 times

Advertisements

All this study is being done because of the broken promises that have fail for selling the city of Macon, Payne City, and Bibb County with the idea that consolidation would save it's citizens money as a whole. Well so be it.
Red lights cameras could be installed in Macon | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
They could put them at the Spring Street exit off I-16 and make enough to plug the budget hole. Red light running has always been an issue, but someone is going to be killed there. There are often 3, 4, or even 5 cars that file through when the light is red. I have even seen tractor trailers do it. Where there is no enforcement--laws become suggestions. I am all for it. In cities that have red light cameras, it is amazing....people actually stop when the light turns yellow. People say it is big brotherish---well then fork over the tax money to hire enough officers to enforce the law. As long as it is enforced, I don't really care how it happens.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
In cities that have red light cameras, it is amazing....people actually stop when the light turns yellow. People say it is big brotherish---well then fork over the tax money to hire enough officers to enforce the law. As long as it is enforced, I don't really care how it happens.

a) More accidents occur on account of people getting rear-ended

b) The cities don't run the cameras - a private company does and

c) No officers review the video footage on questionable calls

The cities only get a small portion of the money collected. St Pete, Fla had them for several years and eventually got rid of them.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:46 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
Well, if this isn't the answer, what is? Right now we are 100 deputies short of a full police force because not enough people want to patrol 24/7 for 35K/year (can't blame them) and traffic laws in this town are treated as suggestions because of a lack of enforcement. Speeding (and not 10 over, but 45-50mph in a 25mph on Nottingham and Upper River, 50 in a 30 is common on lower Vineville, 65 is a regular occurence in a 45 on Zebulon, and I could go on) and red light running are rampant. I have seen several accidents firsthand due to the red light running. It is absurd. I am no angel behind the wheel, but the complete disregard of traffic laws that is allowed to occur in Macon would never be tolerated in the other cities I have lived in.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:41 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Well, if this isn't the answer, what is? Right now we are 100 deputies short of a full police force because not enough people want to patrol 24/7 for 35K/year (can't blame them) and traffic laws in this town are treated as suggestions because of a lack of enforcement. Speeding (and not 10 over, but 45-50mph in a 25mph on Nottingham and Upper River, 50 in a 30 is common on lower Vineville, 65 is a regular occurence in a 45 on Zebulon, and I could go on) and red light running are rampant. I have seen several accidents firsthand due to the red light running. It is absurd. I am no angel behind the wheel, but the complete disregard of traffic laws that is allowed to occur in Macon would never be tolerated in the other cities I have lived in.

It's not that we are short of policemen, it's inefficient use of them. I came from a mega city that had 12000 cops on the street and another 5000 just doing paperwork. Two man squads were standard, we also had three wheel motor officers. Most stations had 20 or more cars, plus three LT's and a Captain's car.

Targeting known areas for speed enforcement - the motor officers did most of the parking and turning enforcement. They often used state police on the four interstates that criss-crossed the city to free up the city officers for more important safety of citizens. "To Serve and Protect" meant something. It doesn't here.

Every day 20 or more police cars transit my street and none come to a complete stop. Enforcement starts at home with proper training. Another thing that bugs me - one of these days a major accident is going to happen b/c the log trucks and dirt haulers come flying down the street far in excess of the posted 35 and next to a school. I've never seen either one get stopped.

I spoke with a GSP trooper about this and he said it's a city problem. But that night he set on my street and caught five speeders in two hours. Of course it was nighttime - when no one is around to view it.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 PM

909 posts, read 545,122 times
Default County explores cameras to catch light runners

The commissioners are serious. Especially since a bid war is about to escalate. Might as well say that it is a done deal.
https://www.macon.com/news/local/article214617560.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: