Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 PM

156 posts, read 370,160 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Austin, and I may be looking to start school again. I'd probably first attend South Plains College for a semester or two then try to transfer to Texas Tech.

How is Lubbock? I've heard from some, that it is boring, and from others, that if you are in the college crowd its great. How is the economy doing there so far? I work for a beverage distributor so I would be transferring there.

So, whats the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:58 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,133 times
Flat and windy, beverages are probly a commodity in demand. If you're with a beverage distributor you'll probly be pretty popular.

There's a CW tune...

Happiness is Lubbock Texas in my rear view mirror...

Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM

63 posts, read 284,491 times
Keep in mind, the SPC main campus is located in Levelland, which is around 30 miles west of Lubbock. They do offer classes in Lubbock, (Reese Center) but they are mainly night classes. If you are able to transfer into Tech, I think you'll enjoy it a lot. Nice people, beautiful campus.

Lubbock basically has one of everything you might need. The main forms of entertainment are restaurants, movies, sports, and bars. There's plenty to keep you busy here, especially a college student, but unfortunately if you're looking for more, you'll have to drive 5 hours to get it.

The economy, like much of Texas is fairly insulated from the hardships the rest of the nation is currently going through. The Lubbock economy can be summed up in 3 categories: Agriculture, Education, and Health Care - in that order. Agriculture, (mainly cotton) although having its up and downs, is fairly stable when compared to the oil booms and busts to the south. That along with education and health care keep Lubbock's economy fairly stable. I believe Lubbock steadily grows at around 2% per year.

The weather seems to be constantly changing, (sometimes for good, sometimes not.) Low humidity makes it quite comfortable in the summer. Fall weather is excellent. The winters get a bit cold, especially compared to Austin, but nothing like what you'll see up north. And early spring well, it's horrible frankly. The wind seems to blow 25 mph+ from the middle of February all the way through the first of April. But, overall the weather's pleasant.

There are a few small lakes within an hour or so drive, you also have Caprock Canyon State Park, and Palo Duro Canyon that are both less than two hours away.

Hope this helps a little. Best of luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM

156 posts, read 370,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Flat and windy, beverages are probly a commodity in demand. If you're with a beverage distributor you'll probly be pretty popular.

Non-alcoholic beverages.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:05 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Smile Give It A Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
How is Lubbock? I've heard from some, that it is boring.......

First of all, you do need to give Lubbock a chance. It is almost on the verge of seeing the type of growth Austin had in the 1980s, but it's on a smaller scale right now. But it is a bomb waiting to explode and more people are seeing opportunities even in a down nation-wide economy. They are one or two, or possibly three, large corporations away from seeing something really happen beyond what it is right now. Granted, there isn't as much tourism there as in other places, but I think the future is bright enough that more things will come. Don't let those haters out there who didn't like the place sway you too far. Look at the positives about the city, and there are many. Their location, believe or not, is actually an advantage and not a hindrance, although the city only has three freeways in its regional highway network, one of which is still under construction. Of course, there is much work that still needs to be done there. But Lubbock will give you what you need. It's halfway between D/FW and Albuquerque, and that puts the place in prime position for positive future growth.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 46,240 times
Lubbock has the second best housing market in the nation according to a story I heard on CNN and another story on the news listed Lubbock as one of the top 20 recession proof cities.As far as the social life there is alot of cool bars and clubs to go to if that's your thing and people in Lubbock overall are friendly and it shouldn't be hard to make friends.Theres pretty much everything you might find in a bigger city theres a mall which is the biggest single story mall in the country and theres alot of places to shop and eat.Theres also alot of apartments and housing at good prices.It's not windy every day like alot of people try and make it seem there is some days usually in the spring or fall that it does get windy and there might be a dust storm maybe once a year but it's not as bad as people make it seem.Yes it's flat but unless your from a mountainous area that shouldn't bother you much.One con is that they don't sell beer at every store it's a dry county so you have to make a drive to the strip which is a strip of liqour stores right outside of the city limits or drive to wolforth which is like 2 minutes outside of Lubbock to buy beer and liqour but they do serve alcohol in restraunts and stuff like that.Other than that Lubbock overall is a good place to live and work.Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM

63 posts, read 284,491 times
The fact that Lubbock is a dry county is about to change, BTW. A petition was successfully put together and it will now be voted on in May.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:41 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Default This, Too, Shall Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post
The fact that Lubbock is a dry county is about to change, BTW. A petition was successfully put together and it will now be voted on in May.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one, and I don't even drink.

I say this because they really do need this to pass for the following reason: to bring in more economic development that they've never had before. Now, I also realize there will be drawbacks in this, but there, too, will be more benefits, like creating new opportunities for larger corporations. Not passing this one thing would really hold them back. I'm sorry, but it's the hard truth. This city is on the threshold of achieving the same growth Austin had in the 80s and 90s. Lubbock is knocking on the door.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 AM

7 posts, read 19,079 times
Not to disagree with West but SPC @ Reese has classes all day, from 7 AM - 9 PM.

WillysB was disingenuous about the lyrics to that song, it actually says:

I thought happiness
Was Lubbock, Texas
In my rear view mirror
But now happiness is Lubbock, Texas
Growing nearer and dearer
And the vision is getting clearer
In my dreams

And I think I finally know
Just what it means
And when I die you can bury me
In Lubbock, Texas, in my jeans

Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 AM

4 posts, read 11,273 times
Are allergies worse in Austin or Lubbock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock