Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 16,535 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred from Michigan to Louisville-We have 1 daughter who will be a junior in high school. What areas would you recommend and what school districts? She is less than thrilled to move and we want the transition to be as easy as possible. She is athletic (soccer and basketball) and a very good student. We will most likely be renting a home-Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,319,876 times
Where will jobs be located?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Downtown Louisville-Kelly Services

Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 AM

Based solely upon public schools, then you must consider Oldham County 40026/40077/40031/40010/40014 with fringes of 40059/40068. There aren't a lot of rental properties available, but with luck and diligence, you'll be fine. You will find an outstanding soccer program for high school girls in Oldham Co.

Commute time from eastern Jefferson Co to downtown Louisville is 15 minutes, from Oldham Co, you can add 10-15 minutes.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM

59 posts, read 210,267 times
stay out of Jefferson County Schools, period!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlouisville View Post
Jefferson County schools finished 118th of the 154 school districts in the state. Had a personal friend in Louisville that had an 11 year old who was an A student in the local public schools in Louisville. She transferred her daughter to a Catholic school and found that her daughter started getting C's and D's. That is the state of the local schools. You might hit a good one in the East End but outside of those areas, the schools are bad. When you have a generation of 25 to 30 year old adults who cannot spell to save their lives, do you really want that for your kids. People in Louisville aren't into reality and that is what is leading the city to becoming another New Orleans north. Competence is not rewarded and its more important who you know rather than what skills and intelligence that you can bring to the table. Plus, don't ever offer criticisms of the system because Kentucky residents tend to get very defensive about anyone lambasting their sacred cow and they have to have something to cling onto to preserve normalcy in their increasingly disoriented lives. Low standards and if you want your kids to succeed, either private school them here or find a better district. The JCPS isn't your option if you want success.
Exactly! Thank you for being so bold.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 PM

69 posts, read 203,450 times
I wish you all the best in your move from Michigan!

I moved here May 27 from Michigan myself, but my children are all grown, so I cannot give you any advice regarding schools---sorry.

Whereabouts in Michigan are you moving from?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Thank you all for your information-from what I have been reading sounds like Oldham Cnty is the best place for us-We are coming from the Rochester Hills area-a very affluent area with a fantastic school district-Can't say I'm going to miss the long grey dreary cold and nasty winters here-Looking forward to exploring new areas.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 PM

57 posts, read 145,048 times
Maria,

I relocated here from the Detroit area also. First off, it could be worse, you are moving to an area where the economy, weather, and people are much warmer than you are accustomed too. Unfortunately the public schools in Kentucky fail miserably when compared to those in Oakland County/Northern Detroit. That being said, the schools in Oldham County are probably your best public school option. Oldham County is very similar demographically ($) to Rochester Hills.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Exactly! Thank you for being so bold.

Here, here, southlouisville! As a transplant, the people here are the warmest and most generous kinds, but, have never met a community so deeply steeped in denial. It is as if they do not talk about the issues, the issues don't exist. I would add, never mention that they are not really first to whatever they, and the local media, are laying claim to. Just let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area