Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,057 times

Advertisements

It's a possibility I'll be moving to Louisville soon because of my job. I don't really know anything much about Louisville, and I'm concerned about that.

Where I live now, in a Northwest suburb of Chicago, is close to perfect. It's one of the older suburbs, but nice. Less expensive than some. I have a nice apartment within walking distance of the train station. There's a great library and game store also within walking distance.

I'm a complete nerd. I love books, comic books, sci-fi, computers, role-playing games. I also like the outdoors.

So I'm looking for a neighborhood in Louisville that fits my life.

I'll be blunt. I've lived in a city, Chicago, and hated it. I live quietly. I don't hang out on the streets drinking, or drugging, and I don't like it.

I don't want to put up with ghetto stupid gangsta wanna be's, nor mouth-breathing rednecks. I can't stand religious whackos. I don't want to have to keep a constant eye on my car, least the city find yet another reason to ticket it to get a little more money out of me. I don't like cops.

On the other hand, I'm a considerate neighbor.

I hate hot weather.

Now, where in Louisville has a great library, game store, nerds, lots of trees, lawns, quiet streets, good neighbors?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
I would put you in a box (of streets) bounded on the west by Cannons Lane, North by Lexington Rd/Shelbyville Rd/East by Fairmeade, & South by I-64.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 PM

58 posts, read 181,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I would put you in a box (of streets) bounded on the west by Cannons Lane, North by Lexington Rd/Shelbyville Rd/East by Fairmeade, & South by I-64.
I agree with tomocox, in fact I live in that box
The areas within a few blocks of Cannons Ln is in the old city limits but the rest is St. Matthews. Very pleasant, quiet area that perfectly meets your quota...there's the St. Matthews/Eline Library right in this box (on Grandview Ave just off Breckenridge). Also a nice area of relatively new shops along Lexington Rd just before it meets Shelbyville (used to be the Vogue movie theater) as well as several bars/restaurants such as Brendan's, Bluegrass Brewing Company and Gerstle's-all 3 are locally owned too. Also a small, really good fish place I really like on Lexington Rd called The Fishery.
The area I'd particularly recommend within this block is the northern section right off Lexington Rd west of Breckenridge (the heart of St. Matthews);this is an older area built mainly in the late '20's into the 1930's (quite a few 1.5 story Cape Cod style homes), has lots of mature trees and is walking distance to the shops and restaurants along Lexington and Shelbyville Rd. Some streets in the area I recommend are Wallace, Wiltshire, Wendover, Macon and Bauer Ave; also Cornell Place, Oxford Place and Iola Rd. The streets in this area are all in a grid pattern so its very easy to find you're way around. Hope this helps!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM

666 posts, read 2,538,395 times
well if you hate hot weather...you may have a tough time here in the summer. lol.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
The above mentioned area is the Frankfort Ave corridor, containing the neighborhoods of Clifton & Crescent Hill and older areas of the city of St Matthews. It defiantly fits your needs since it is both safe and quite while have some nice coffee houses and shops.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The above mentioned area is the Frankfort Ave corridor, containing the neighborhoods of Clifton & Crescent Hill and older areas of the city of St Matthews. It defiantly fits your needs since it is both safe and quite while have some nice coffee houses and shops.
I don't know where you got that its the Frankfort Ave. corridor. It certainly does not include Crescent Hill, nor any of the area near the water company. This is area is east of Cannon's Lane and below Lexington Rd.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,187 times
Bardstown Road area near Speed -- comic book stores, used book stores, funky restaurants, near the park...

Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
I don't know where you got that its the Frankfort Ave. corridor. It certainly does not include Crescent Hill, nor any of the area near the water company. This is area is east of Cannon's Lane and below Lexington Rd.
Tom, you are actually exactly right, and your advice for the OP is dead on. I agree 100% about the box you mentioned above. In fact, being a Chicago native myself, I may be able to help the OP a bit more. St. Matthews reminds me of some of Chicago's inner ring suburbs around I-294. I agree the streets centered around Grandview Ave and Canons lane are the right area to look. Louisville is a very pretty city.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Bardstown Road area near Speed -- comic book stores, used book stores, funky restaurants, near the park...
This is also a cool area. however, it may be too much traffic and loud for the OP. Bardstown Road is like a mini version of Milwaukee, Clark, and Lincoln avenues in Chicago combined. Its really the main thoroughfare in the city for anyone with remotely urban tendencies. There are some REALLY sweet comic and pop culture stores there though.

Keep Louisville Weird - Buy Local First

Ultra Pop - Ultra Pop is a home for art/design books, vinyl toys, pop culture, and more.

The Great Escape :: Nashville, Tennessee :: CD's, Records, VHS, DVD, Toys, Magazines, Comics, Photos, Posters, Gaming Books, Cards, Memorabilia, Nashville, Tennessee :: CD's, Records, VHS, DVD, Toys, Magazines, Comics, Photos, Posters, Gaming Books,

role of the die louisville - Google Maps

ear X-tacy

Book & Music Exchange - Louisville, KY

By now, you get the idea about this area around Bardstown Road. It is substantially less dense the city parts of Chicago and 1000% safer, with no real crime or car break ins. The zip code demographics are likely safer than your Chicago suburb.

http://www.thehighlandsoflouisville.com/SpotMapRSVP.php

This map is decent, but leaves out tons of businesses in the area.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 AM

6 posts, read 13,057 times
Quote:
I'm looking on the map. Is that the Cherokee Gardens neighborhood?

Thanks for all the advice.

Holly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area