Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Sitting up here in Northern Virginia, I tell you, I wouldn't mind being devoid of some humans, thank you very much. )
Where in Virginia? There is a chance I might be moving to around Gainesville near Manassas and the Bull Run Mountains. Is that more rural, comparatively speaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:27 AM

965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Where in Virginia? There is a chance I might be moving to around Gainesville near Manassas and the Bull Run Mountains. Is that more rural, comparatively speaking?
I'm in Reston, VA - a 15-minute run from Dulles Airport.

I think parts of Gainesville, Manassas, and Haymarket are rural. There are subdivisions out there, so you'll have to get back beyond them to hit the country side. Also, I notice that Civil War reenactments take place out in those areas, and those folks need space for staging battles.

If you use Google Maps or MSN maps or Yahoo maps and put in Gainesville, VA, the maps will point you to an area. Switch the mode to aerial or hybrid and take a look. You'll see regular suburban subdivisions, now slowly zoom out and start panning the image around. You'll start to notice woods, then cleared land, then woods, then cleared land, occasional outbuildings that are not houses, etc. That, to me, is rural. Someone has tilled that land, so someone is out there.

Try your friend's address on the maps, pan out, and then look around.

However, if you're planning on becoming an isolationist/survivalist type person (living off the land, encamping your home in barbed wire, putting up signs that say "Keep Out - That Means You!), then you're gonna need to go on up into the Shenandoah Valley.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Henry, Nelson and Shelby are all great. A little town called Smithfield in Henry co. is the best place in the world, and yes I am a little prejudices, as my family lives there.

Bullitt co. is not as 'tired' as you think - pass Shepherdsville and you will find some off the most beautiful country around. People seem to forget the county doesn't stop in the middle , and when you are off the beaten path east or west, nothing but farm land abounds. I am in Lebanon Junction (few have heard of us), and I can tell you nothing has changed here in 50 years except the addition of a McDonalds and an entrance ramp to the interstate. My father's side of the family has been here for generations.

Hardin county is wonderful, too, but to get as rural as it sounds you are looking for, again, you must pass Elizabethtown and get deeper into the county. Anywhere along I-65 will show you up and coming, it's off the beaten path that gives the solitude.

Happy searching!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Henry, Nelson and Shelby are all great. A little town called Smithfield in Henry co. is the best place in the world, and yes I am a little prejudices, as my family lives there.

Bullitt co. is not as 'tired' as you think - pass Shepherdsville and you will find some off the most beautiful country around. People seem to forget the county doesn't stop in the middle , and when you are off the beaten path east or west, nothing but farm land abounds. I am in Lebanon Junction (few have heard of us), and I can tell you nothing has changed here in 50 years except the addition of a McDonalds and an entrance ramp to the interstate. My father's side of the family has been here for generations.

Hardin county is wonderful, too, but to get as rural as it sounds you are looking for, again, you must pass Elizabethtown and get deeper into the county. Anywhere along I-65 will show you up and coming, it's off the beaten path that gives the solitude.

Happy searching!

I know LJ, very pretty area!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Default Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I know LJ, very pretty area!
That's so cool! Very few people know we are here- like 'Horton Hear's a Who' - we are here! Now you know where I am! Every single day...lol!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Bound View Post
Which ones do you like the best??

We're looking for acreage and a small town atmosphere outside the city. Originally and still a possibility (sigh) we had planned to move to Wyoming. However, we have a very strong tie to family here and we're not sure if we can uproot our portion of that family and move away from them all. anyway.

We like Hardinsburg, IN and that area, but would like to know what kind of areas are great outlying of Louisville. Having lived here all my life, I know where the areas ARE but not what life is like in them. Any suggestions?

(and, not the tired Oldham, Bullitt, Spencer-we're talking RURAL, not up and coming) :-)

Michele
  • Breckinridge County
  • Grayson Co.
  • Hardin Co.: anywhere more than five miles from US 31W and I-65 will remain rural for generations to come
  • Nelson Co.
  • Washington Co., about to be connected to Louisville with the completion of the KY 555 extension
  • Anderson Co.
  • Franklin Co.: anywhere more than five miles from Frankfort will remain rural for years to come
  • Henry Co.
  • Trimble Co.
  • Spencer Co.: I'm confident that anywhere more than five miles east of Taylorsville (going east on KY 44 toward Anderson Co.) will remain rural for most of my lifetime, and I'm only 22.
  • Harrison Co., IN
  • Spencer Co., IN
  • Dubois Co., IN
  • Bartholemew Co., IN
There are quite a few places to think about.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM

68 posts, read 233,599 times
Rural to me means the nearest Walmart is a "Trip" to get to. Something planned, not spur of the moment. Rural means I can grow my own vegetables and hunt for my own meat. Rural means my kids can go in my front "yard" and not have to worry about getting kidnapped or run over. Rural to me means I can let my dogs run around the yard and not have to worry about where they take a dump. Rural to me means I can run around butt flippin' naked in my house, or my yard and not have to worry about being arrested or solicited.

Unfortunately, this type of rural, in the south, probably also means I'm going to encounter a type of individual I dislike but it is a reward for getting away from some others who are probably worse here in the city. It also means I'll possibly be in the midst of quiet a few churches as well..... not my cup of tea but something I'm willing ot live with.

HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
  • Breckinridge County
  • Grayson Co.
  • Hardin Co.: anywhere more than five miles from US 31W and I-65 will remain rural for generations to come
  • Nelson Co.
  • Washington Co., about to be connected to Louisville with the completion of the KY 555 extension
  • Anderson Co.
  • Franklin Co.: anywhere more than five miles from Frankfort will remain rural for years to come
  • Henry Co.
  • Trimble Co.
  • Spencer Co.: I'm confident that anywhere more than five miles east of Taylorsville (going east on KY 44 toward Anderson Co.) will remain rural for most of my lifetime, and I'm only 22.
  • Harrison Co., IN
  • Spencer Co., IN
  • Dubois Co., IN
  • Bartholemew Co., IN
There are quite a few places to think about.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
That's so cool! Very few people know we are here- like 'Horton Hear's a Who' - we are here! Now you know where I am! Every single day...lol!
My mother knows a woman who lives out there with acerage and a pond and I love it!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Bound View Post
Unfortunately, this type of rural, in the south, probably also means I'm going to encounter a type of individual I dislike

What do you mean by that?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM

68 posts, read 233,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
What do you mean by that?
Closedmindedness. In a nutshell. And I'm not talking from lack of experience. And I'm not saying EVERYONE is like that. Just the majority of those I've been in contact with over the years, in several different small, rural, southern towns. BUT, it's where the land is to be had... and I'd rather live in a closedminded area than the ghetto of the city.
Gawd, I sound like a b * tch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area