Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 04:30 PM

149 posts, read 525,238 times

Advertisements

I just happened to call my brother in Louisville this morning (he lives a bit out heading towards Fort Knox) and found out about the high winds that have blown trees down, caused roofs to collapse and had utility poles swaying. I have quite a bit of family there in different areas of Louisville (Downtown, Newbergh, Shivley) who were telling me about problems.

Here's some more info posted from Wave 3 TV Louisville online:

High winds causing power outages across Kentuckiana
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 02:21 PM
Updated: Sep 14, 2008 05:10 PM

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - High winds across the Louisville area have sparked a number of structure fires and left many people without power.

According Mayor Jerry Abramson's office, LG&E/KU is reporting 165,000 customers without power in its service area - half of the utility's customer base. Duke Energy is reporting near 100,000 people without power in its Indiana service area. According to the Duke Energy website, as of 2:50 p.m. 18,523 customers were without power in Clark County, 20,046 in Floyd County and 5,321 in Harrison County.

Calls to the WAVE 3 Newsroom have reported trees down all across the Metro area. The Louisville Fire Department has been fighting several structure fires that have been caused by power lines.

Louisville Metro Police closed the Watterson Expressway in both directions Sunday afternoon at Bardstown Road due to a traffic accident and debris in the roadway. Police are advising motorists to remain off the roads to allow emergency vehicles access to necessary locations.

Across the Commonwealth, state officials say seven western Kentucky counties in western Kentucky have declared states of emergency. The winds are being caused by remnants of Hurricane Ike. States of emergency were also declared in the southern Indiana counties of Floyd and Jefferson.

Downed trees and power lines in the region have closed parts of several state roadways.

Kentucky's Division of Emergency Management says numerous small fires have been reported as a result of downed power lines. County and state crews are working on clearing up the damage.

The National Weather Service has issued wind advisories for much of the state.

Emergency Management says Ballard, Caldwell, Carlisle, Fulton, Hickman, Lyon and Union counties have declared a state of emergency.

Kentucky State Police at Campbellsburg tell WAVE 3 that two people were hurt at the Trimble County Apple Festival in Bedford when a large tree limb came down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 PM

257 posts, read 881,391 times
300,000 now without power

Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 AM

209 posts, read 739,197 times
How is everyone else? We lost power about 2 yesterday afternoon, but got it back at 7 this morning. We were expecting a much longer waiting period. The big old tree in front of our house lost a huge limb that fell across the street, bringing a live wire with it. The street is still cordoned off right in front of us.

Here in St Matthews it's a mess: the tree stock is old and compromised. Beautiful old oaks and maples in whole or in part fell everywhere. A whole 3-story tree on Lexington was uprooted and fell on a house.

I took my usual 4-mile walk this morning and couldn't believe the mess in our neighborhood, around Seneca Park, down Lexington Road.

Hope all out there are faring okay. I suppose if you can read this, you at least have some form of electricity!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 PM

149 posts, read 525,238 times
I spoke to a niece of mine and she told me that the estimated time before power would be restored all over would be around 2 weeks-she lives near Bashford Manor Mall. A few folks have their lights on but that's only a small percent.

It's skippy downtown with more I'd guess still in the dark. Just one of my relatives who lives there still have power. I'm not sure about LaGrange area.

I'm crossing my fingers and praying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area