Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
veggie, you are the first person i've ever heard refer to lynn as a "nice lady". I know tons of servers and back house people who worked there over the years and everyone hated her. she is legendary for profanity-laced tyrades directed at her employees. she treated people horribly for two decades and it's finally coming home to roost.

and the story regarding her breaking labor laws is 100% correct. it involved her requiring servers to show up to work with 100 bucks cash on them so they could tip out bussers and back house at end of shift. illegal in kentucky.

I know Lynn outside of the restaurant business.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM

17 posts, read 129,343 times
Outside of Louisville in Radcliff was a waterslide in the late 80s. I'm trying to remember the name of it but can't.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM

17 posts, read 87,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweedo65 View Post
My cousins and I use to frequent a restaurant in front of the Jefferson Mall in the mid to late 80s called Vito's Villa. It was in the same building that O'Charley's occupies today. For whatever reason, no one in Okolona (including my wife and her siblings who grew up in the area) can remeber the place, and swear that O'Charley's was built from the ground up as an O'Charley's. I have even emailed the Okolona Chamber of Commerce, and they haven't even replied to me. I can find NOTHING on a Google search, and would love nothing more to have a picture of the place to validate what I know to be the truth. Can anyone help me out here?

I can help you out here. I wrote te original menu & recipes for Vitos Villa. It was owned by Frank Dwyer
who ad been the CEO of the Fresher Cooker Restaurant (also now defunct in Louisville). I even have the review they received from Robin Gaar of 3 1/2 Stars in the Courier Journal or it May've been there was still a Louisville Times at that time. The original building prior to it being Vito's Villa was what was called
the Ground Round Restaurant.

I just stumbled upon tis forum & it brougt me to this thread so I have been reading it from te beginning,
I saw someone mention Cafe` Unique. I used to own it back in the 1980s . My X was one of the Troubadours owners. So far as anyone mentioned Sixth Avenue ? Kunzs down on 4th street ...
Victoria Station... Gus Mayers downtown & in Oxmoor... Fairmeade Pharmacy on Shelbyville Road
where you could get a Bug a Boo ice cream cone... The Canary Cottage Restaurant I believe was where Lotsa Pasta is located at today... Pryors was were Arbys is or was last time I was in Louisville on Shelbyville Road... There they had a Treasure Chest for kids where you could get a toy after you paid for your meal. There was the Collonade Cafeteria downtown ( I tHink it was in the Starks Building)...
Then to go Way Back the Skyline Drive-In on Shelbyville Road across from The Mall...

IF I have repeated anything forgive me as I am only up to p. 20 something But I simply wanted to respond to let this person know they werent crazy about Vito's Villa...

Also, someone mentioned the spaghetti in a bucket... That place was called Spaghettiz I believe...Tryin to remember the way they spelled it. it was owned by James Patterson who was one of the owners of
Chi Chi's & Rally's. Then, there was Chicken By George Restaurant ... By George Restaurant... Jack Fry's
before it was Jack Fry's. The Fig Tree downtown & Jocelyn's in Plainview had the Best desserts !!!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 AM

Peterson's Hardware in Middletown. My Dad usedta have a key to it & he could just leave a note for what he took that day to be added to his bill. Belknap Hardware where the big Presbyterian Center is downtown... I mentioned the Skyline Drive In...It was where Stein Mart is today... I havent been back to Louuisville since 2006 or 2007...By George Restaurant was located were the Cork & Cleaver was in Middletown. Also, in Middletown was the Dipperwell Restaurant & the Hoe Kow.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 AM

Myras & then Formerly Myras Grill on te corner of Grinstead Drive & Ray Ave.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Fond memories of Formally Myras...! That place played a big role in the development of the Lou foodie scene...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
My X was one of the Troubadours owners.
Are you talking about the one in Hikes Point~? I remember that place and use to go there. It was so much fun~!

Quote:
The Canary Cottage Restaurant I believe was where Lotsa Pasta is located at today
I remember Mario's Pizza being there, not the Canary Cottage. Am I incorrect~?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM

For those few of you familiar with Valley Station/Kosmosdale, remember the Monarch Club, on the Ohio River?

In a little river rat area (direclty on the Ohio) hidden away off Dixie Hwy, it was a German restaurant somwhat popular with the Fort Knox crowd.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM

Now, The Canary Cottage was at 3722 Lexinton Road. Lotsa Pasta is 3717 so I guess you are correct. I do
remember Mario's there...Yes, Troubadour Hikes Point. I only went there once myself.

I loved te Old Myra's. My 1st apartment was on Glenmary...I saw Burgers Market is closing

The Monarch Club... The Bavarian Dine Inn (originally was the Monarch Club)... Out Dixie, Peggy Butt, was an interesting person.

Lets see. There was Kaufmans Department Store, Li'l Abner's.. Bauer’s... The Pine Room on River Road...The Ranch House...Deitrichs Restaurant...Ferd Grisanti's...Burger Queen...Rubino's...Lentini's Little Italy, Trattoria Mattei...Mo Flav Restaurant...Azaleas...The Original Impellizzeri's....Alioto's in PRP...Brandon's BBQ on Westport Road ...Avalon...Stan's Fish Sandwich (I Always liked Stan)... The Flagship in the Galt House... The Old House...J.P. Kayrouz restaurant in St. Matthews...New Orleans East ...Colonial Gardens across from Iroquois Park...Baer Fabrics...Druther's...Sizzler ...Jeremiah Sweeney's in the Breckinridge Inn...Finnegan & Goldberg's Booze & Bagels...Flakey Jakes...Hamburger Hamlet...Essex House ...The Brown Suburban ...Grubber's ... ... The New Orleans House ...Stebbins.. Leo's Hideaway ...Bill Boland's before John E's...Les and Mark's Deli ...Hickory House...GD Ritzy's...Applegates Landing on Hurstbourne Lane...The Chapel at the Cloister...By the Park...Admiral Benbow Inn...the Red Barn ...The Embassy Supper Club...The Patio Room in Mall...The Commodore Tea Room on Bonnycastle...Sandrella's on Breckenridge Ln....Flaherty's...Not Quite Cricket, which was in the Plainview/Jeffersontown/Embassy Road area owned by Peter Outlaw...Peter Outlaw's...House of Hunan ...
Parisian Pantry on Bardstown Road ...The Winery ... Cafe Metro...Pit Stop Bar-B-Que-Off Shelbyville Rd ...Boston Fishmarket ...The Spire at the Hyatt... La Cuisinnaire on Bardstown Road...Zephyr Cove...Kienles German Delicatessen...you might recall that at the end of the evening there, all the "ladies" in your party got fresh, long-stemmed roses...Afro-German Tea Room...

I will think somemore... Im an Old Salt when it comes to te Louisville food scene...

Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:

The Bavarian Dine Inn (originally was the Monarch Club)... Out Dixie, Peggy Butt, was an interesting person.

..yes thats right!!! That is what she called it, tho we still called it by the original name. I think she briefly had another location out on St Andrews Church Road, near Doss HS

Quote:
Kienles German Delicatessen...you might recall that at the end of the evening there, all the "ladies" in your party got fresh, long-stemmed roses
...a very small space in the Shelbyville Road Plaza. Keinle was the front of the house. The cook was her husband, who was a proffessional chef, worked at the Louisville Country Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area