Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,675 times

Advertisements

Today the Courier-Journal reported that Oldham County Schools have won again with "What Parents Want" award.

Quoting the C-J: "Oldham County Schools has received the “What Parents Want” award from SchoolMatch, an independent service that helps corporate families find schools around the country that match their children’s needs.

The group has given the award to districts across the country for 17 years and judges districts on criteria that includes test scores, accreditation, teacher salaries and class sizes."

Even with the high cost of commuting, owning Oldham County is still a solid economic opportunity. When considering the cost of taxes, the quality of life, and the cost of a parochial or private school necessary to meet the overall quality of an Oldham County education, it just makes sense to live out here, especially if there are children involved.

School Information - Public School Reports - School Ratings - School Rankings - National

Last edited by tomocox; 07-01-2008 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: added schoolmatch hyperlink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Today the Courier-Journal reported that Oldham County Schools have won again with "What Parents Want" award.

Quoting the C-J: "Oldham County Schools has received the “What Parents Want” award from SchoolMatch, an independent service that helps corporate families find schools around the country that match their children’s needs.

The group has given the award to districts across the country for 17 years and judges districts on criteria that includes test scores, accreditation, teacher salaries and class sizes."

Even with the high cost of commuting, owning Oldham County is still a solid economic opportunity. When considering the cost of taxes, the quality of life, and the cost of a parochial or private school necessary to meet the overall quality of an Oldham County education, it just makes sense to live out here, especially if there are children involved.

School Information - Public School Reports - School Ratings - School Rankings - National

Ok Tom, keep promoting sprawlburbia in the face of upcoming five dollar gas, a major energy crisis, tight economies, and rising greenhouse gases destroying our planet. I am not knocking your lifestyle, but if you keep promoting it so hard, there will be no world for your children and great grandchildren to use this great education of Oldham that you talk about (please pardon my tuesday rant)

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Ok Tom, keep promoting sprawlburbia in the face of upcoming five dollar gas, a major energy crisis, tight economies, and rising greenhouse gases destroying our planet. I am not knocking your lifestyle, but if you keep promoting it so hard, there will be no world for your children and great grandchildren to use this great education of Oldham that you talk about (please pardon my tuesday rant)
That is total bs. The school buses of JCPS burn more fuel in one day transporting children for the sake of politics, certainly not education, than the required fuel to deliver commuters only a few miles further than the county line.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
As a parent, my children's education is THE top priority. Congratulations Tom on the success of your county schools.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 PM

257 posts, read 881,228 times
i don't really see how oldham county has such a high quality of life. all the major shopping centers are located just across the county line in louisville. there aren't and major shopping areas in oldham county (indoor malls, lifestyle centers). there isn't even a whole lot of big businesses. there is hardly a tax base. there are very little large, nice restaurants too. everything is mostly in jefferson county. i'd prefer eastern jeff co to oldham county any day. sorry tomocox.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
i don't really see how oldham county has such a high quality of life. all the major shopping centers are located just across the county line in louisville. there aren't and major shopping areas in oldham county (indoor malls, lifestyle centers). there isn't even a whole lot of big businesses. there is hardly a tax base. there are very little large, nice restaurants too. everything is mostly in jefferson county. i'd prefer eastern jeff co to oldham county any day. sorry tomocox.
You have no reason to express your sorrow to me. I am happy because if you measure a community by the terms you just outlined, then you don't qualify to be an Oldham Countian. I am the happy one here.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,181 times
Thumbs up Oldham County, Best of Both Worlds!

Nice to be able to live in a award winning school district county like Oldham County and still be able to enjoy and use the shopping and facilities that East Jefferson County offers. Best of both worlds.

Now regarding gas consumption, I agree with Tom, the new Jefferson County School District policy of moving kids all around the county by bus to fill quota's, waste WAY more fuel, than living close to the city can ever save you. Now if everyone would get out of their Big SUV's and old cars and start driving smaller more economical cars, motorcycles, and scooters along with more walking and bicycle riding, we would really be seeing a difference!

Now also I want to comment on how many continual comments I see about "The quality of life" issue being related to how much shopping nearby their is? Jeesh, is that all everyone thinks about these days? Oldham has all the basics one needs, and like Tom always says if you want more it's only a hop skip and a jump over the county line to get it! Quality of life to me, is a happy family, scenic country, great schools, beautiful homes, and good friends! Shopping is nice, but not critical in the grand scheme of things that are really important.

We look forward to enjoying both sides of the county line and what both have to offer.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 AM

257 posts, read 881,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You have no reason to express your sorrow to me. I am happy because if you measure a community by the terms you just outlined, then you don't qualify to be an Oldham Countian. I am the happy one here.
i guess i just don't understand the terms used to showcase a high quality of life in oldham county. i would never knock oldham county; i love oldham county for what it is. i know there are really nice suburban areas that are close to amenities in louisville, but that shouldn't necessarily qualify the county itself to have a high quality of life. so what is it? i guess there are a whole lot of definitions for quality of life depending on what one values.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,378 times
Congrats to Oldham County!

For me the favorite parts of Oldham are the older places, like LaGrange, Peewee Valley, Floydsburg, Todds Point, and Crestwood. Its been a long time since Ive been there (but I drive through everytime I visit family), but what I recall these are very pleasant places.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
i guess i just don't understand the terms used to showcase a high quality of life in oldham county. i would never knock oldham county; i love oldham county for what it is. i know there are really nice suburban areas that are close to amenities in louisville, but that shouldn't necessarily qualify the county itself to have a high quality of life. so what is it? i guess there are a whole lot of definitions for quality of life depending on what one values.
If you have children, then maybe I can explain. If you own a home, maybe I can explain. If you enjoy a laid back lifestyle not dependent upon an everynight party, maybe I can explain. However, if your life is dependent on bars and other night life venues, then I can't help. Oldham County is not a perfect place to live, but it's certainly a great place to raise a child, invest in a home, relax and recuperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area