Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 04:27 PM

26 posts, read 35,224 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was originally thinking of moving to Knoxville or the Roanoke area of Virginia. I live in Greenville, SC and feel it's over-hyped and it's a small town that's severely overcrowded, not to mention thanks to the hype I am priced out of living here now. Husband and I are originally from Jackson, MS and that's where all our families are, it's just too blazing hot and humid 7 months a year, so will never be moving back there.

First off, our housing budget is under 250K. We are frugal, and are fine living in a very modest home.

I scratched off Roanoke because, we being a 29-year-old couple, it's too economically depressed and isolated.

The only thing I love about Knoxville is the huge variety of outdoor activities including tons of waterways and hiking/biking greenways and trails, and proximity to Smoky Mountains. There are many parks that are on the water.

The problem with us moving to Tennessee, is I found out their tax system is WONKY for the self-employed, and there IS income tax for self-employed people with an LLC... like us. There are multiple business taxes. I had 2 consultations with accountants and they couldn't even explain it to me, just said it's "complicated" and depends on the business. Which, naturally, got me even more worried.

So that's worrying, I don't want to live somewhere paying nearly 10% sales tax, plus not even get the benefit of no income tax. I also have been doing some reading concerning the argument that Tennessee's tax system is regressive. I won't get off-topic, but there is a lot of info on the internet about that.

Someone mentioned to me I'd probably love Kentucky, both Louisville and Lexington. So I thought why not.

A few users, such as Peter whose enthusiasm is refreshing, on this sub really persuaded me to go check it out.

And... WOW!! We like Lexington, but Louisville was AMAZING. It felt young and hip, and the suburbs around it were super, super nice and packed with all the amenities you need without driving far.

I say this as someone who's lived in London, Ghent Belgium, as well as many states throughout the USA. I genuinely was surprised and felt Louisville punched so far above its weight.

So without more ramble, here are the things that are important to us, please let me know if anywhere in Louisville or elsewhere in Kentucky can fit any of this:

1) Outdoor recreation! We really like being outdoors, and prefer greenways and trails rather than just a standard park that has a playground and a bench and nothing else.

2) A variety of grocery stores, natural markets, or farmers markets. We cook. We only like to eat out every once in a while, like 1-2 times a month.

3) The arts. We love broadway, symphonies, jazz, ballet, and any form of classical culture. We have no issue going to Chicago or flying to NYC once a year or so to indulge this hobby, if Lou lacks in this area.

3) Very good restaurants, when we do eat out we like high quality. Which Louisville has no problem there, we ate out several times during our (too short) 3-day visit and were blown away.

4) Not too busy country roads for road biking. We are not urbanites and have already had a crash and a foot ran over when doing in-town biking, so we only ride on country roads and greenways.

5) Lakes, rivers, waterways. Both to paddle around in and to fish. We don't own a real boat, we just paddle around for a little bit.

6) Clean-cut look. We really liked the St Matthews, Hurstbourne and surrounding areas. Really like how the homes and architectural style looks.

7) Preferably within a few miles, or even walking distance (I know that's not likely) of a park or wooded area.

8) At least 1/4 acre would be nice but not required. Would like to have a few hens and room for a garden.

We aren't urban or "city slicker" types, we are homebodies that like being out in nature and going into the city maybe once a week.

Sorry for such a long post! Mt Washington seemed more green, though a bit farther out.

Simpsonville looks to be close to The Parklands.

South of the airport looks to be closer to forests like Jefferson and some trails.

I bet that East Tennessee might be better with outdoor recreation, especially mountains, but the tax situation is far more important than hobbies, at the end of the day. Especially since we have many decades ahead of us we'll be working before retirement.

Please let me know what are good areas that aren't more than like 30 minutes for the amenities in Louisville that would have me close to walking, hiking and biking!

Also, Is there anywhere in the rolling hills Bluegrass areas of the state that I can rent a cabin or cottage every once in awhile, and be directly *in* the rolling hills beauty, rather than just driving past it? We like to occasionally take a weekend and stay in a scenic place.

Last edited by StartingJunkBusiness; 09-01-2021 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 04:31 PM

Also y'all... is it as hot as it currently is, for many months at a time? We just got back from Lou a few days ago, and it was almost as hot as Mississippi. Hotter and more humid than I expected. How many months does it feel like this? And does the winter temps average around 40 degrees? If so, I can enjoy the outdoors even during the winter.

For some reason as I've gotten older I've become more heat intolerant. Even having grown up essentially in hell's steam sauna (lol) I never really got used to it.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingJunkBusiness View Post
Hi all, I was originally thinking of moving to Knoxville or the Roanoke area of Virginia. I live in Greenville, SC and feel it's over-hyped and it's a small town that's severely overcrowded, not to mention thanks to the hype I am priced out of living here now. Husband and I are originally from Jackson, MS and that's where all our families are, it's just too blazing hot and humid 7 months a year, so will never be moving back there.

First off, our housing budget is under 250K. We are frugal, and are fine living in a very modest home.

I scratched off Roanoke because, we being a 29-year-old couple, it's too economically depressed and isolated.

The only thing I love about Knoxville is the huge variety of outdoor activities including tons of waterways and hiking/biking greenways and trails, and proximity to Smoky Mountains. There are many parks that are on the water.

The problem with us moving to Tennessee, is I found out their tax system is WONKY for the self-employed, and there IS income tax for self-employed people with an LLC... like us. There are multiple business taxes. I had 2 consultations with accountants and they couldn't even explain it to me, just said it's "complicated" and depends on the business. Which, naturally, got me even more worried.

So that's worrying, I don't want to live somewhere paying nearly 10% sales tax, plus not even get the benefit of no income tax. I also have been doing some reading concerning the argument that Tennessee's tax system is regressive. I won't get off-topic, but there is a lot of info on the internet about that.

Someone mentioned to me I'd probably love Kentucky, both Louisville and Lexington. So I thought why not.

A few users, such as Peter whose enthusiasm is refreshing, on this sub really persuaded me to go check it out.

And... WOW!! We like Lexington, but Louisville was AMAZING. It felt young and hip, and the suburbs around it were super, super nice and packed with all the amenities you need without driving far.

I say this as someone who's lived in London, Ghent Belgium, as well as many states throughout the USA. I genuinely was surprised and felt Louisville punched so far above its weight.

So without more ramble, here are the things that are important to us, please let me know if anywhere in Louisville or elsewhere in Kentucky can fit any of this:

1) Outdoor recreation! We really like being outdoors, and prefer greenways and trails rather than just a standard park that has a playground and a bench and nothing else.

2) A variety of grocery stores, natural markets, or farmers markets. We cook. We only like to eat out every once in a while, like 1-2 times a month.

3) The arts. We love broadway, symphonies, jazz, ballet, and any form of classical culture. We have no issue going to Chicago or flying to NYC once a year or so to indulge this hobby, if Lou lacks in this area.

3) Very good restaurants, when we do eat out we like high quality. Which Louisville has no problem there, we ate out several times during our (too short) 3-day visit and were blown away.

4) Not too busy country roads for road biking. We are not urbanites and have already had a crash and a foot ran over when doing in-town biking, so we only ride on country roads and greenways.

5) Lakes, rivers, waterways. Both to paddle around in and to fish. We don't own a real boat, we just paddle around for a little bit.

6) Clean-cut look. We really liked the St Matthews, Hurstbourne and surrounding areas. Really like how the homes and architectural style looks.

7) Preferably within a few miles, or even walking distance (I know that's not likely) of a park or wooded area.

8) At least 1/4 acre would be nice but not required. Would like to have a few hens and room for a garden.

We aren't urban or "city slicker" types, we are homebodies that like being out in nature and going into the city maybe once a week.

Sorry for such a long post! Mt Washington seemed more green, though a bit farther out.

Simpsonville looks to be close to The Parklands.

South of the airport looks to be closer to forests like Jefferson and some trails.

I bet that East Tennessee might be better with outdoor recreation, especially mountains, but the tax situation is far more important than hobbies, at the end of the day. Especially since we have many decades ahead of us we'll be working before retirement.

Please let me know what are good areas that aren't more than like 30 minutes for the amenities in Louisville that would have me close to walking, hiking and biking!

Also, Is there anywhere in the rolling hills Bluegrass areas of the state that I can rent a cabin or cottage every once in awhile, and be directly *in* the rolling hills beauty, rather than just driving past it? We like to occasionally take a weekend and stay in a scenic place.

Louisville is amazing...you haven't even seen 10% of the MSA. It is bigger than you think. Wait until you see how cute downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville, IN are.

Louisville seems to be getting hotter but it is back to 80s. This last month was unusually hot.

Louisville blows Knoxville out in every category even outdoor stuff. Much better parks and recreation and equal nearby water opportunites with many nearby lakes within an hour like Patoka in IN, Taylorsville, Nolin, Rough River, etc. Don't underestimate Party Cove on the Ohio River in prospect. Check out Captain's Quarters, Louisville Boat Club, Louisville Botanical Gardens, Lynn Soccer stadium, and much more.

You didn't even see the best suburbs....historical areas like Anchorage, Pewee Valley, and La Grange.

You didn't see Norton Commons which is a massive new urban style town unto itself....literally Disney pristine.

Louisville offers alot of what people love about urban cities like Cleveland or Pittsburgh but with lower crime (despite what local news may make you think, just look at data), and many more job and population growth opportunies.

Louisville vs Knoxville is no competition....Louisville has massive festivals nearly every weekend like the largest beatles fest Abbey Road this weekend. There is just too much to list. Louisville is attracting alot of young hip couples like you.

There is good hiking in Jefferson Memorial Forest and near Floyds Knobs, IN. Check out Skyline Drive in IN...much cooler up there and sweeping views of the city. Louisville truly is a gem. It would be booming if it had better leadership. It is growing very steady though.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:00 PM

Thanks Peter, for your quick and detailed reply, much appreciated!

You're right, a few days is not nearly enough of a trip. The only suburbs I had a chance to see was a little over toward the east, no farther than Middletown and no further south than Mt Washington, and nothing north like La Grange or the other historic ones you mentioned.

We mainly stayed around the city, the next trip will be more house hunting and area hunting oriented.

So with your knowledge of this whole area, what do you recommend I check out on my next trip, for wooded and scenic (with minimal trashy yards etc) areas to live, that can have me within ~35 minutes of downtown and decent proximity to trails and nature walks?

Shelbyville sounds nice. I didn't get a chance to look at Jeffersontown. Are the best wooded/shaded areas a bit south? Or can I find this in multiple areas?

Old 09-02-2021, 01:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:

You're right, a few days is not nearly enough of a trip. The only suburbs I had a chance to see was a little over toward the east, no farther than Middletown and no further south than Mt Washington, and nothing north like La Grange or the other historic ones you mentioned.

We mainly stayed around the city, the next trip will be more house hunting and area hunting oriented.

So with your knowledge of this whole area, what do you recommend I check out on my next trip, for wooded and scenic (with minimal trashy yards etc) areas to live, that can have me within ~35 minutes of downtown and decent proximity to trails and nature walks?

Shelbyville sounds nice. I didn't get a chance to look at Jeffersontown. Are the best wooded/shaded areas a bit south? Or can I find this in multiple areas?
The undervalued areas that have the coolest temperatures and more tree cover are in Floyd County, Indiana. Areas of Greenville, Floyds Knobs, and Georgetown. There are around 30,000 people spread out on hundreds of roads that range from steep ridges to creeks.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:28 PM

I will check out Floyd County, thanks. I'll need to look at the Indiana tax situation, haven't ever even thought to look.

Just googled some photos, wow it looks gorgeous. I like all those red and orange trees.

Is there a way to avoid paying the toll to cross back over into Kentucky? One concern I have if I decided on Indiana is having to cross the bridge, because I know I'll want to go to Trader Joe's and other Lou amenities probably once, maybe twice, a week.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:16 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
I will check out Floyd County, thanks. I'll need to look at the Indiana tax situation, haven't ever even thought to look.

Just googled some photos, wow it looks gorgeous. I like all those red and orange trees.

Is there a way to avoid paying the toll to cross back over into Kentucky? One concern I have if I decided on Indiana is having to cross the bridge, because I know I'll want to go to Trader Joe's and other Lou amenities probably once, maybe twice, a week.
I use the 2nd street bridge that doesn't have a toll, but I work from home so don't need to commute. The Sherman Minton bridge is currently undergoing construction:

https://www.wave3.com/2021/07/31/she...res-announced/

"Non-Tolled Options
The Clark Memorial Bridge, also known as the Second Street Bridge, connecting Jeffersonville with downtown Louisville remains toll free, as does the Sherman Minton Bridge, or I-64, connecting West Louisville and New Albany."

Old 09-03-2021, 06:49 AM

342 posts, read 319,131 times
Oooh, I'm so glad you liked Louisville! It's my hometown and I lived here until age 20, then moved back after 17 years away. It's a great town. I lived in Mount Washington until two years ago. It is a bit farther out, and traffic can pile up on Bardstown Road in the morning rush hour, so keep that in mind if you have to commute anywhere. But it is lovely and you can get great deals on houses and get land, and the other end of the Parklands is very close (you mentioned the Parklands in Simpsonville, well, the Parklands are 4,000 acres, and they stretch from the north end in Jefferson County about 5-6 miles from Simpsonville down to the south end off Bardstown Road near Mount Washington.) You can kayak or canoe in the Parklands on Floyds Fork. You can rent the boats there. It's a popular pastime.

If you're not driving during morning rush hour, the drive is just fine from Mount Washington into Louisville. But keep in mind it is far from fun restaurants and nightlife of any sort. You'll be isolated from that. But you will have tons of green pastures and hiking and woods and the beauty of the land.

Homes in Simpsonville are also quite affordable, as are the homes in the far east end of Jefferson County with many new ones being built. I live out that way these days and I love it. It's a fast 7-8 minute drive to Middletown with Kroger and Target and Starbucks and all your basic shopping needs.

I would personally avoid southern Indiana. The tolls on the bridge can add up fast, and resale of homes isn't as easy as in Louisville. Most of us on the Louisville side kinda avoid moving to the Indiana side, ever. Not a snob thing, just that we don't want to deal with the bridges and the commute and the tolls. I lived in southern Indiana for a year when I was a kid, and my parents are both from there. So I have nothing against it. It's just not really a popular option among Louisvillians.

As for renting a cabin, absolutely. Just check out the options on airbnb and VRBO. Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge, all of the lakes and stuff around us. There are cabins everywhere and they're super lovely in the fall in particular.

Welcome to our state!

Old 09-03-2021, 10:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:

Many many areas.

It really depends your price range. For schools, the most transplants, and the most upscale...the entire river rd corridor.

The most upscale areas are actually Glenview and Mockingbird Valley....yet they are exclusive and uber wealthy.

Next would be Prospect, Goshen, and Anchorage. I can really see you in Anchorage. It is really upscale, nice trails, close and able to be connected to the Parklands which will eventually be a 100 mile trail around the city. Anchorage has its own historic school, a beautiful historic town square, and many locally owned trails and local police. It feels almost historic country yet only 25 mins to downtown and 10 mins to the hustle of the St Matthews malls.

I'd also look at Pewee Vallley, Crestwood, and La Grange.

In Indiana, do NOT sell short Floyds Knobs and the wonderful historic, walkable downtowns of Jeffersonville and New Albany.

The bridge in New Albany is FREE. Yes it is under construction and will be for two years but the shut downs will be minimal. I wouldn't llisten to most people's opinions on the Indiana burbs....most have very very little experience and couldn't identify uptown New Albany versus Floyd's Knobs vs Blackiston.

I don't care for the areas from Jtown to Mt Washington. Very nice areas, very cheap....but they feel too rednecky too me. Then again, I find most of the state of KY this way outside the urban and suburban parts of Louisville I mentioned. But those are all good areas. Shelbyville is way way too far out and has horrible traffic and sprawl. La Grange is a much better location if what you prefer is a historic old town that feels like it's "own place" with its own local shops and Walmart. Shelbyville is a super cute town too but it is best for those with horses who spend equal time in Louisville and Lex, although it is a full fledged Louisville suburb. Simpsonville doesn't have much but the outlet mall (the best in the state). Their main drag is very lacking.

Keep in mind my perspective is a Chicago native who has lived all over the country, FL, OH etc. I love the south but yearn for Midwest red brick. Louisville is the perfect marriage of it all and only a couple hours from mountains.

The addition of many new flights and airlines to almost every vacation destination is also great. Recent trips have been to Ft Myers, Austin, Vegas, and LA. I have not paid over $150 round trip for any of those thanks to Spirit and Allegiant mainly, and also Breeze.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:11 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"And does the winter temps average around 40 degrees?"

I believe it was the winter of 1983, my mother came to visit from CA....it dipped to 9 below....so it does get cold in the winter, and humid in the summer. Then is the occasional snowpocalypse that will virtually bring the city to a standstill.
When we first moved to LSVL, a realtor said it was far enough south to be "southern" and far enough north to be "progressive" we found it to be pretty accurate.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area