Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM

37 posts, read 120,719 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I want to buy a home $80K to $120K.

Need: A neighborhood that has the greatest potential for staying safe, as I would like it to be my permanent home. (I am a single mom of 2 little guys in California).

Germantown seems to be a good bet. I like that it is in biking distance to the two magnate highschools! My hope is that my boys go to Dupont Manual,and I will not be able to afford to buy them a car.

If I buy it now, I will rent it out for a few years till I can relocate. (In hopes that it will start to pay itself off).

Dream neighborhood:

Offers great safety and LONG-TERM stability for mom and kids
Offers public transportation (preferably to U of L area)
Has decent size yards for kids to play in
Mostly owner-occupied, but renters would like it. ( It is possible I can pay more if I can get steady "positive cash flow")

I am quite happy that Louisville seems so nice, and I am very delighted with the website of Dupont manual.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:12 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,326,002 times
Communities, just like trees, have a cycle of life. There is a constant march of change as a new community is planned, developed, matures, and eventually even dies. It you plan for your children to attend Manual, then unless you have the political pull or luck to win a spot, then you must live in the "home schools" district of Manual. It will be hard to find that "safe 120k" home in an area that will always be safe.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,102,819 times
I thought Manual was a magnet school and it's a lottery like traditional. Am I wrong?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,510,437 times
The most stable affordable area in Louisville is basically anything btw I-65 and Newburg Road north of the Watterson and south of Shelby Park. This includes Germantown. Crime and White Flight has largely bypassed this area and it is much more stable than areas 10 miles from Downtown like Fairdale, Okolona, or Valley Station.

You should also look south of Eastern Parkway and north of I-264. There are some great, affordable areas there too that have homes that are newer than Germantown or Schnitzelburg. Camp Taylor, Prestonia, and Parkway Village are only a little more expensive than Germantown.

Only Audubon Park would be well out of your price range in this area (it's one of Louisville's most affluent suburbs)

The areas south of I-264 along Poplar Level Rd and Preston Hwy are middle class and African American, with little violent crime and some petty crime. Some of the posters on here who suffer from "Afro-phobia" will tell you to move 25 miles from Downtown to avoid these areas.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 PM

In order for Manual to maintain its number one ranking in the city consistantly, do you think it can rely on lottery alone? With the lower income area of its "home schools district," the incoming or magnitized students must be high achievers.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM

[quote=censusdata;3672783]The most stable affordable area in Louisville is basically anything btw I-65 and Newburg Road north of the Watterson and south of Shelby Park. This includes Germantown. Crime and White Flight has largely bypassed this area and it is much more stable than areas 10 miles from Downtown like Fairdale, Okolona, or Valley Station.

You should also look south of Eastern Parkway and north of I-264. There are some great, affordable areas there too that have homes that are newer than Germantown or Schnitzelburg. Camp Taylor, Prestonia, and Parkway Village are only a little more expensive than Germantown.

Only Audubon Park would be well out of your price range in this area (it's one of Louisville's most affluent suburbs)

The areas south of I-264 along Poplar Level Rd and Preston Hwy are middle class and African American, with little violent crime and some petty crime. Some of the posters on here who suffer from "Afro-phobia" will tell you to move 25 miles from Downtown to avoid these areas.
[quote]

Census, as I am one of the earlier respondents to this thread, I take aggressive exception to your presumptions. No matter who you are referring to as "Afro-phobic", it is your racism that rears its ugly head. Does a high crime area have to belong to a particular ethnic group? If so, why? (Please do not answer in this thread.)

Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM

I will answer with a question:

Tom, when was the last time you have been to Audubon Parkway, Poplar Level, Germantown, Old Louisville, or any of these other neighborhoods you love to bash?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 PM

"It will be hard to find that "safe 120k" home in an area that will always be safe."
-- Tommy boy

There are lots of older houses for under $120,000 in Lyndon - I guess you think that's a dangerous area too.

The fastest declining area of Louisville is along Westport Rd outside I-265 on the -- gulp -- Oldham County line.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM

7,074 posts, read 16,770,440 times
It is a constant pushing of exurbs when we have a person who CLEARLY has a lifestyle and needs more suited to inside I-264.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM

When did this thread, even this forum, become a place for public personal attacks which have absolutely no basis?

You will note, that unlike respondents on this thread, I answered the OP's questions directly and without favoritism to any location whether in Jefferson, Oldham, Bullitt or any other place.

Censusdata very appropriately pointed to several areas which currently have good criminal history, but if one re-reads the OP, the writer was concerned about long term "safe" areas where her sons could attend Manual High School. Was my information to her in-correct regarding Manual's homeschool district? Even if it was, to place a personal attack of "afro-phobia" was totally inappropriate and worse it was sustained by a moderator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area