Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A visual of areas I wouldn't live in in New Albany. None of them frequently have violent crime but are more run down. One man's opinion based on living here (just outside the 'bad' area) 3 years.
So Roanoke looks like it's inside the "bad" area -- just inside! Am I reading that map correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 01:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So Roanoke looks like it's inside the "bad" area -- just inside! Am I reading that map correctly?
North of Twin Oaks good, south of Twin Oaks lower income. Not dangerous but lots of blighted properties, etc.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 AM

What about the area around Fairmont Elementary School? There's a little house for sale on McDonald Street, a couple of blocks away from it. Looks like a real slum; there are even chickens in the backyard next door. Does the city keep up with code enforcement here?

Old 09-27-2019, 11:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What about the area around Fairmont Elementary School? There's a little house for sale on McDonald Street, a couple of blocks away from it. Looks like a real slum; there are even chickens in the backyard next door. Does the city keep up with code enforcement here?
Urban chickens are a huge thing. Doesn't mean its a slum. The trendiest parts of Germantown have renovated 300k houses with chicken coops in back...

Old 09-30-2019, 07:37 AM

True, and actually that was the most attractive feature of the entire street, which IS a slum.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Thanks, all!

Last edited by otterhere; 11-14-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Back again... What about the area immediately west of the I-64 off ramp? The numbered streets around Daisy's Diner? Looks like a decent neighborhood surrounded by blight. Reasonably safe?

Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,229 times
The whole place pretty much stinks now. The exceptions are far out on Grant Line Road, Charlestown Road, and up towards the Knobs. Too many crackheads and heroin addicts around the hospital and South of there. Daisy Lane has a lot of low end housing and project dwellers as does old Charlestown Road/8th Street. My cousin bought a house a few years ago east of Vincennes over past New Albany High School and its a crappy area. So much so that he unloaded onto his parents who moved into the city from a more rural area when they stopped making payments on a 600 a month home that was really nice but they can't manage their money even though she's a nurse. So instead they are living in their son's two story house over north of Spring and East of Vincennes where they regularly have problems with lowlife neighbors, crime, stolen property and someone recently stole my uncles trailer that was hitched to his truck in the driveway. Yep, welcome to New Albany where property crime and assault and battery and domestic violence is quite common.

If you have to work in New Albany, that's one thing because these days its just a subset of Portland, Russell and West Louisville. The only difference is the states and the fact that the criminals will come over from Kentucky to steal in Indiana then jump the bridge and haul it back to Kentucky. Kentucky is overrun with these parasites and lowlifes and its became that way over the last decade or so in New Albany especially.

You could always live up in say Galena or somewhere and drive a few extra miles and its a lot better up there because of the demographics of the population and less criminals than down in New Albany.

My cousin gave his old place to my aunt and uncle and then moved down by Spring Street to an area that is just as shady and nasty as it was years ago. I once knew a college professor that lived there and she was a professor at IUS and bought a home down there and nothing but drug pushers, criminals and pimps in that area. Stay away if you're smart and if you're not then good luck. New Albany was rough 25 years ago and its not gotten any better with time in fact its worse because of the local economy and too many people unqualified for the jobs that actually pay decent so they end up with a life of criminality and living off the government with no disabilities that would keep them from working other than a sense of entitlement and their criminal background.

By the way, I did my undergrad degree and double major at IUS so I've spent a lot of time in New Albany over a 20 plus year period and its not gotten any better over the years. In fact, you can find plenty of areas where you can get mugged, raped or robbed just walking down the street. Its just that its not often reported by the local newspaper.

Plenty of bad areas up around Daisy Lane, Vincennes Street and between Charlestown Road and Grant Line on that connector street between them by the housing projects. Nothing good ever came out of that area and I know and have known homeowners in that area that finally sold out to get away from the riff raff.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytrash View Post
The whole place pretty much stinks now. The exceptions are far out on Grant Line Road, Charlestown Road, and up towards the Knobs. Too many crackheads and heroin addicts around the hospital and South of there. Daisy Lane has a lot of low end housing and project dwellers as does old Charlestown Road/8th Street. My cousin bought a house a few years ago east of Vincennes over past New Albany High School and its a crappy area. So much so that he unloaded onto his parents who moved into the city from a more rural area when they stopped making payments on a 600 a month home that was really nice but they can't manage their money even though she's a nurse. So instead they are living in their son's two story house over north of Spring and East of Vincennes where they regularly have problems with lowlife neighbors, crime, stolen property and someone recently stole my uncles trailer that was hitched to his truck in the driveway. Yep, welcome to New Albany where property crime and assault and battery and domestic violence is quite common.

If you have to work in New Albany, that's one thing because these days its just a subset of Portland, Russell and West Louisville. The only difference is the states and the fact that the criminals will come over from Kentucky to steal in Indiana then jump the bridge and haul it back to Kentucky. Kentucky is overrun with these parasites and lowlifes and its became that way over the last decade or so in New Albany especially.

You could always live up in say Galena or somewhere and drive a few extra miles and its a lot better up there because of the demographics of the population and less criminals than down in New Albany.

My cousin gave his old place to my aunt and uncle and then moved down by Spring Street to an area that is just as shady and nasty as it was years ago. I once knew a college professor that lived there and she was a professor at IUS and bought a home down there and nothing but drug pushers, criminals and pimps in that area. Stay away if you're smart and if you're not then good luck. New Albany was rough 25 years ago and its not gotten any better with time in fact its worse because of the local economy and too many people unqualified for the jobs that actually pay decent so they end up with a life of criminality and living off the government with no disabilities that would keep them from working other than a sense of entitlement and their criminal background.

By the way, I did my undergrad degree and double major at IUS so I've spent a lot of time in New Albany over a 20 plus year period and its not gotten any better over the years. In fact, you can find plenty of areas where you can get mugged, raped or robbed just walking down the street. Its just that its not often reported by the local newspaper.

Plenty of bad areas up around Daisy Lane, Vincennes Street and between Charlestown Road and Grant Line on that connector street between them by the housing projects. Nothing good ever came out of that area and I know and have known homeowners in that area that finally sold out to get away from the riff raff.
I appreciate your honest feedback! Luckily, my instincts told me not to a make toward buying anything -- yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area