Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--
My girlfriend and I are looking at moving to Louisville in the summer (for her to attend UofL), but we've heard some pretty sketchy things about there/that part of town. I was wondering if it's really as bad as people say? Or it's a pretty safe city as a whole. Of course this is asked with the fact in mind that there are good/bad pockets in every city. Thanks in advance!

-Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylopm View Post
Hi everyone--
My girlfriend and I are looking at moving to Louisville in the summer (for her to attend UofL), but we've heard some pretty sketchy things about there/that part of town. I was wondering if it's really as bad as people say? Or it's a pretty safe city as a whole. Of course this is asked with the fact in mind that there are good/bad pockets in every city. Thanks in advance!

-Kyle
It's safe. You are fine. Just be cautious like in any urban city and stay east of 9th street. Old Louisville and the UofL campus have really improved.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times

Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM

165 posts, read 309,885 times
You can find objective crime stats for any neighborhood, including Old Louisville, here: Crime Maps - LouisvilleKy.gov

Beyond that, my advice is that asking "is it safe" is a subjective and mostly useless question here. Everyone has a different opinion of what "safe" means.

I have met a few of the officers who work in the police precinct in Old Louisville and get crime updates from them at monthly neighborhood council meetings. I can tell you based on those reports that violent crime is relatively rare in Old Louisville, and much of the violent crime that does occur is related to domestic disputes. Burglary and auto theft is more common, but most of that is just crimes of opportunity and you can take sensible precautions against those.

I know lots of people who live in Old Louisville or have lived there while they were students, and none have ever had safety issues. My opinion - and it is just that, an opinion - is that Old Louisville is a safe (and beautiful) place to live.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM

218 posts, read 483,646 times
I have a friend who has lived in Old Louisville for several years, but has been broken into twice and had every electronic he owns stolen. That being said, he was from a small town and did not request locks on his windows. There is going to be crime because this is a bigger city, but be cautious and use your common sense.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
I have a friend who has lived in Old Louisville for several years, but has been broken into twice and had every electronic he owns stolen. That being said, he was from a small town and did not request locks on his windows. There is going to be crime because this is a bigger city, but be cautious and use your common sense.
Excellent advice. I agree. Just because it is Louisville and not some super big city like Chicago does not mean that you cannot be the victim of theft. However, almost 100% of homicides and violent crime in Louisville is related to gangs, drugs, and prostitution, which you find in any big city. If you are not involved in any of those bad things, you are just as likely to be a victim of violent crime in Louisville as you are in anytown USA. Just look at what happened to poor Sandy Hook, CT

However, you have to know your type. If you are not used to walking by a homeless person, a drunk, or seeing some people of different ethnicities, Old Louisville will feel "scary" to you even though it is a very safe area.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,840 times
there are better areas than others in old lou. I think 2nd thru 4th st south of magnolia is an awesome place and has a lot going for it. brook st at ormsby, not so much.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,819 times
My son attends U of L and loves it. Currently lives in the dorm apts. But he will soon be looking for a place to live off campus. We are not from Louisville, so was wondering what the opinions were on the area near Colorado Ave, Euclid Ave, Lincoln
Ave, Lillian Ave, Allston Ave and last but not least W Broadway near Shawnee Park area. Just wondering if any of these areas were better than the others. Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmax View Post
My son attends U of L and loves it. Currently lives in the dorm apts. But he will soon be looking for a place to live off campus. We are not from Louisville, so was wondering what the opinions were on the area near Colorado Ave, Euclid Ave, Lincoln
Ave, Lillian Ave, Allston Ave and last but not least W Broadway near Shawnee Park area. Just wondering if any of these areas were better than the others. Thanks for your help in advance!
None of those area great areas. West Broadway is definitely a "no."

The area SW of UofL, by Churchill downs, is hit or miss.

You are much better off looking for rentals north of the UofL, in the area bounded by 7th st on the west, brook on the east, and oak on the north. Lots of cool old rentals in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area